Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple on QVC tonight...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple on QVC tonight...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-21, 16:07

Just looking at an online TV guide thingie, to see how much more unwatchable the medium has become since I bailed on it 16 months ago ) and saw where Apple is getting an hour segment tonight at 7:00pm ET.

The segment is listed as "Innovations by Apple" and the description reads: "Apple computer and electronic products are offered."

I talked about this quite a few years ago. Nice to see it happen (not sure if this is old news or the first installment...it's new to me).

It'll be interesting to see those sales tally graphics zoom up throughout the program.

I'll be in a position, I think, to have it on tonight (at least in the background) where I'm going to be. I'd like to see how it's presented, and what they sell.

I would've assumed just iPods and iPads, but the description does say "computers", so...I think perhaps the iMac, Mac mini and MacBook Air?

If you're home tonight, and you're in the market for something from Apple, it might be worth a peek. You never know. Maybe they'll have some sort of special buy on an item or two.

No idea who the host will be (hopefully someone genuinely knowledgeable or into the stuff, as opposed to just "a pretty face" going off a flat script for an hour, and getting everything wrong ), or if anyone in any sort of known, official capacity will be present (not from Apple, I'm sure, but in these sort of specialized, focused segments the network host will often be augmented by an "expert" in the particular field). Maybe a semi-known Apple-oriented writer or pundit?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-21 at 16:42.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-21, 17:24

last time they did one of these, they sold out in less than the hour time slot.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-21, 17:47

Oh really? So this isn't the first one? I think I might've seen an iPod one a long time ago, but it's hazy. And I'm not even sure it was an iPod-only segment as much as "digital music", and the iPod was maybe one of several products.

I'm out of the loop, regarding TV, so I've never seen a full, dedicated Apple (with computers) segment here.

I didn't think about them selling out. I guess they could.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-21, 18:04

Uh-oh...15 seconds in and the host calls it "iTouch".

They're selling a wifi-only 16GB iPad 2 with a stylus, case and unspecified accessories for $709...

These things are $349 as refurbs from Apple. But most people don't know this, so...

Yikes.

This is either gonna be hilarious or cringe-inducing. Or a little of both!

EDIT: How in the hell are they charging $709/809 for this?!?

It's the wifi-only 16 or 32GB models (the two prices). This is the iPad 2. The 16GB is only available in black, the 32GB in both colors.

The "extras" are a car charger, a sleeve, stylus, ugly headphones and cleaning kit.

Are these cheeseball bundled accessories really worth $300? No way (must be some pricey headphones). They're truly banking on people being clueless and impulsive. Eeek...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-21 at 18:25.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-04-21, 18:36

I must admit I don't watch qvc but my sense was that they always did this sort of thing - bundle junk and jack up the price. My bet is that the car charger isn't even one of the high voltage ones that can actually charge the iPad.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-21, 18:57

Yeah, it's weird because, in the past, I've seen stuff for pretty nice discounts. I was sitting here thinking "man, maybe they've bought big or worked out something and they'll sell the iPad 2 for a few bucks off?"

Optimist, you know.

But no...they toss in a bunch of accessories most people probably don't need or use, and sell it for $300 more than I ever imagined.

I bailed, actually. The host was a bit too goofy and "on" for me.

Oh well. It pays to educate yourself about this stuff (pricing, availability, which generation a model is, when are new releases expected or when did they just occur, what are the accessories you'd truly want or use, etc.). Otherwise you'll find yourself spending $700+ on something that shouldn't even be more than $500 from all I can see. $550, absolute tops?

They sold a bunch tonight, no doubt. But if any of those buyers take 5-10 minutes and poke around online (or talk to their kids ), they're gonna kick themselves in the morning.

And get this: these aren't even shipping until May 7.

You can go to Apple's site right now and select a white or black 16GB for $399 and it shows as in stock.

Or, better yet, pick up a 16GB white or black iPad 2 refurb (new battery, new outer shell) for $349. Those are also in stock and immediately available. And you've actually got capacity choices there, where you could jump up to a 32GB reburb iPad 2 for $449...$350 less than the 32GB iPad 2 they're selling on TV. Granted, it's a refurb. But it's got a new battery and new outer shell...may as well be new, the replacement of those two major components.

Weird.
JohnnyTheA

2012-04-21, 22:12

I was going to tune in but based on your description I will go back to watching Knife Show...