User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

This is a scam/BS, right? Just want it confirmed...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This is a scam/BS, right? Just want it confirmed...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-05, 10:54

I'm selling the Apple Bluetooth keyboard that came with my sister's iMac locally via Craigslist.

My ad clearly states, in the first sentence, it's unused, still wrapped in plastic and in pristine condition.

His only question yesterday was "I trust the item is in good condition?"

Red flag #1 (not referring to what "the item" is, or asking no other questions that someone buying such a thing might ask.

I wrote him back saying "as the ad says, it's unused/untouched, still wrapped in plastic and, by definition, is in good condition". I suspected I was dealing with a hammerhead, but I was bored and felt the need to reply to subtly point out his reading comprehension shortcomings.

24 hours pass (I thought I'd run off a scammer/'bot) and I just now receive this (same name, but a different e-mail address than yesterday):

Quote:
Sorry for the late response. Please I don't have time to come have a look cause of my Job transfer, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover hence I'll be sending a check to cover the cost and it'll be delivered via United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the following information below to facilitate the mailing of the check, be aware that UPS does not deliver to P.O box addresses..

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential or office
3.Your cellphone number.
4.Final Price

I'll have my mover come over for the pick up as soon as you have cashed the check. I'll appreciate it if you take down the ad from CL so as to be rest assured that I'm in hold of the item, I hope to read from you shortly. Best Regards.
Nothing about a Nigerian prince, but I'm still getting that "vibe"...

I wrote him back saying "as the ad clearly states, I'm only interested in a local, face-to-face cash-only transaction. For very good reasons. Sorry".

It was only a four-line ad (with two photos). First line was condition, second line was price, third line was a URL to the keyboard's page at Apple's site, four line was the part about local, cash-only transaction.

In fact, my most focused, succinct writing ever. And not a smiley in sight! You guys would've been proud (and stunned)...

The numbnuts sure do come out of the woodwork, trying to work an angle, any time you post something there.

What I want to hear from you guys is that my gut-feeling/hunch on this is correct. I'm not going through with it anyway, of course. I just want to make sure my "horseshit detector" is calibrated properly...
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-04-05, 11:20

I'd say your gut is properly tuned on this one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-05, 11:29

I figured so. Today's e-mail kinda clinched it. The maneuvering and "no, I can't just come get it like a normal person...but I'll engage third and fourth parties, the bank, a courier, a notary public, TV news crew and the Yale rowing team to facilitate this transaction" kinda turns your "uh-oh" sirens on.

It would be easier for a scammer to just bonk me on the head and take the damn thing, as I lay bleeding and unconscious, than to go through all these convoluted procedures to try and get over on someone...

Imagine if all that attention-to-detail and logistical acumen could be re-directed in a good, positive pursuit! NASA material, this clown.

The urge to screw with these people is so hard to resist. I almost replied and gave him fake info on his four requests (plus include my banking account/routing info and SSN - fake, of course), some pics of my "family" and say "I'm getting a really good feeling about this...how about I knock another $20 because you've been very upfront and straight with me!"

I am most please to be the facilitated of this most important transaction. Please do wish that I am most interested in carrying out this purchase in a timely, efficient manner and therefore I've arranged a helicopter drop-off to your current location. Please be give me to your address so that I may send this item to you at once, as to meet our important, agreed-upon timetables.

Yours in peace,
Paul

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-05 at 11:39.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2012-04-05, 11:34

I get mostly those kinds of responses whenever I list something on craigslist (actually have a few items up there now). I just ignore them. Maybe it's paranoid (I think it's reasonable), but with CL I only deal locally. Usually meet at a starbucks (they're everywhere and always have people in them, plus have electric outlets if you need to try anything out).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-05, 11:47

Exactly.

Starbucks is a good place, for the reasons you state. I typically meet at a Walgreens near my house.

I might start changing that to the East Ridge PD parking lot, which is even closer.

If I have people show up here, all they're going to see, the minute I open the door, is an iMac, external hard drive, printer, AirPort Express, Gibson J-45 acoustic, TV, DVD player, cool beach cruiser bicycle, tripod/accessory kit, Craftsman drill kit, etc.

Uh, no...I may as well be ringing the dinner bell, or holding up a "come take my shit when I'm not here" sign.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-05 at 11:58.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-04-05, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Nothing about a Nigerian prince, but I'm still getting that "vibe"...

In fact, my most focused, succinct writing ever. And not a smiley in sight! You guys would've been proud (and stunned)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

I am most please to be the facilitated of this most important transaction. Please do wish that I am most interested in carrying out this purchase in a timely, efficient manner and therefore I've arranged a helicopter drop-off to your current location. Please be give me to your address so that I may send this item to you at once, as to meet our important, agreed-upon timetables.
Classic.

I wouldn't mess with him though, Paul. You never know, he may be a legitimate, non-scam buyer, with faulty English skills. A slim chance maybe, but still a chance.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-05, 16:53

Oh, I know...I didn't do anything. I just reiterated that I'm only interested in a local/cash-only transaction, then deleted and - knock on wood - haven't heard back.

If he contacts me again, however, all bets are off...because he's obviously not reading anything (the ad or my e-mails) I'm saying and is hell-bent on working an angle (or my nerves, at the very least). At that point, he's begging to be messed with.

I've had responses very similar to this in the past, for other items. It never a) references the actual product for sale, or b) offers a reasonable, straightforward "when can you meet?" solution (it's always something involving wire transfers, checks, crazy deliveries schemes or pickups from a third-party, blah, blah...

Scam or not, I don't feel like messing with all that and made it a point to clearly say so in the ad.

I actually got one two days ago that was even worse (and pissed me off even more). A woman named "Elinor" wrote, except she actually said "do you still have the keyboard? I'd love to buy it. Please let me know."

Actually referenced the item sold, etc.

I wrote back immediately (this was about 10:45pm) and said "I sure do, would you like to know anything about it, or see additional photos?" (I'd taken about 4-5 with my phone, in addition to the two I'd placed in the ad). Never heard anything. Mind you, this was within 30 seconds of receiving her e-mail (I'd had my phone in hand, reading).

I think nothing of it (maybe she went to bed)...

The next afternoon "she" writes back, saying she can't get the keyboard after all because her nephew wrecked her Jeep and tore the backend all to pieces (I was inclined to sympathize and tell her no worries and good luck), but I noted an additional two paragraphs, wherein she continued with "if I didn't have this job, I don't know what I'd do. It's been a great opportunity and I want to share it with you. Are you interested in earning up to $6,000 day from the comfort and conven..."

Motherfu...

1. Piques my interest, gives me hope I might have a sale
2. Waits 15+ hours to write back (despite me e-mailing her seconds after her initial response)
3. Tweaks my sympathy filters by telling me about her car situation
4. Moves in for the kill with a stupid spam come-on

I was livid.

I wrote her back (realizing it was probably a 'bot anyway, but I was wound up) and said "this is why people hate the Internet...everyone is completely full of crap." I stopped just short of saying "you don't have a nephew or a Jeep, and, even if you did, I don't give a damn about either...I'm just trying to sell a $#%^ keyboard!"

Never heard back.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-05 at 17:04.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-04-07, 19:10

Definitely a scam:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-832-390-0679/6