User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Force Quit
raydanator

2011-03-07, 20:39

I've been rocking my MBP for about two years now and love it, however one thing that kind of ticks me off is force quit. Sometimes when I get the spinning beach ball, it was last for quite a while but CMD+ALT+ESC does nothing until the problem has righted itself. Do you guys find this frustrating when compared to cntrl alt delete? At least Windows has instantaneous results. I've only noticed this freeze up and decreased performance basically right after booting up.

That being said, I'm thinking I should clear some space on my macbook. i've got 87 gbs left on a 390gb partition (windows using the other 100gb). What do you guys think, would extra space speed it up? Thanks!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-07, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydanator View Post
CMD+ALT+ESC
True story: I read that and thought, "it's command-option-escape, isn't it?" and Googled it to be sure. Thoroughly confused, I only then looked down on my keyboard and saw "alt" written in small letters on the corner of the option key.

I'm not very smart.

As for your actual question: no clue, although I've generally found it's a bad idea to do anything on any computer immediately upon booting it up. I let it recover from its tumultuous boot-up ordeal for a few seconds before frantically trying to open a web browser the second I can see the icon. Then everything opens with no problems or beach-balling.

I don't think hard drive space is the issue. 87GB should still give OS X plenty of room to breathe.

But there's lots of people here who know way more than I do, so.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-07, 23:12

Cmd-tab (or click through) to another app before mashing cmd-opt-esc. You'll likely have much better luck that way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-07, 23:25

What Brad said. If you can even click off the offending app you generally have better luck making it die.
Boomerangmacuser

2011-03-08, 19:51

I usually get to the force quit by clicking on the Apple icon. The mere act of clicking on the icon changes the focus of the system away from the offending app.

My 2 cents.

Won't go back
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-03-08, 22:30

I always forget the Force Quit keyboard shortcut and instead kill apps using Terminal.
raydanator

2011-03-09, 12:04

Thanks for all the advice. Tomoe, how do you kill an app using terminal?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-03-09, 12:22

Use command "top". Locate the PID to kill. Press "Q" to quit "top" listing. Then use the command "kill ThePIDYouWantToKill".

Maybe there's a easier way to do it though

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-03-09, 14:11

You can also click on the Dock icon of the fubar application and select Force Quit.

As mentioned above, it helps if an application other than the fubar one is active when attempting this.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-03-09, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydanator View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Tomoe, how do you kill an app using terminal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Use command "top". Locate the PID to kill. Press "Q" to quit "top" listing. Then use the command "kill ThePIDYouWantToKill".

Maybe there's a easier way to do it though
You can also use pkill if you know the command name, or pgrep to find a PID. Both commands are included with proctools, which can be installed using homebrew.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-03-09, 20:17

Have to say, if processes are really acting up, killing via an open Terminal window seems to work all the time where Force Quitting via the GUI may not always work. The trick is to always have an open Terminal window ready to go if things get wonky.
Frisco

2011-03-09, 20:47

Ergonomically, Command-Option-Esc is easier to press with one hand. If Windows is better at killing processes it's only because necessity is the mother of invention.
Noel

2011-03-10, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
You can also use pkill if you know the command name, or pgrep to find a PID. Both commands are included with proctools, which can be installed using homebrew.
Does this make you a proctoologist?
raydanator

2011-03-12, 23:44

Thanks again. Also, I noticed that Firefox freezes my system after a fresh boot, but Safari doesn't. I just prefer a couple Firefox features to Safari but hopefully a bug fix happen someday