"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 5 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-09, 20:27

I have unlimited data on my iPhone plan too. Verizon screwed something up when I had a Galaxy Nexus and gave me unlimited data on my line. It stayed when I put my iPhone back on that number. I'm not complaining.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-09, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
you need to have bought the HD version. Your 720P versions will be updated to 1080P for free if you wish.

They will not give you a coupon.
Crap. I bought the SD version on account of the low pixel count of iPad 2... shoulda thought ahead. But if any two movies are worth purchasing twice, it's Slapshot and The Big Lebowski.

...into the light of a dark black night.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-09, 23:24

Since I am compulsively checking FedEx, I learned that both our iPads are in Nashville this evening. With overnight delivery and an expected delivery of March 16, if I lived in Nashville I'd be pissed.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-09, 23:29

Still in preparing for shipment, but delivery date is still 3/16.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-10, 09:03

My iPad is in Ontario. California.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-10, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Here's a question: if an iPad user can pay Verizon $20/month for 1GB of *4G LTE* data AND free Mobile Hotspot, why the hell am I forced to pay $30/month minimum for 2GB of *3G data* and extra for the Hotspot?

I'd be all over a $20, 1GB 3G + Hotspot data plan. Like, high school prom date all over it. That's the best data plan from any of the major US carriers BY FAR.
Probably because the iPad is an unsubsidized device while your iPhone has a giant subsidy on it. The 2GB plan is nice though with LTE speeds and hotspot I can see a lot of people going over that pretty easy.

Edit: Oops, i guess you were referring to the old data plan for the iPad 2. Also, I meant to say it will be easy to blow through the 1GB w/ hotspot plan.

Last edited by addison : 2012-03-10 at 12:14.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-10, 10:48

Get this:

My Dock is coming from Hong Kong
My Cover is coming from Nashville
My iPad is coming from points as yet undetermined.

The Global Matrix has you.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Lyngo

2012-03-10, 19:30

My iPad is in Middletown PA right now being sent to Upstate NY.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 04:12

My order has disappeared. I now get an error screen. I ordered four hours after the Keynote. Wonder what's wrong?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-11, 08:18

Yikes, might want to send an email with your order number. My order says "preparing for shipment." Guess it will get out the door Monday.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2012-03-11, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My order has disappeared. I now get an error screen. I ordered four hours after the Keynote. Wonder what's wrong?
MIne too. Last night at 11pm I checked it and it had not shipped. Now it does not even show up on the order status. I guess I will have to call them today.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 09:01

I just called Apple. They did not see anything in my account but once I gave them my credit card number, they showed it being processed for March 16th delivery. Pretty scary. Checked my credit card transactions and they processed the AppleCare on March 9th but nothing for the iPad yet.

I guess I will wait and see but that's not a very good system.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 09:19

Mine's showing up again. Still set for the 16th. Phew.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 10:48

Quote:
Mine's showing up again. Still set for the 16th. Phew.
Mine just showed up too. Very weird. Not shipped yet though.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 10:52

I guess mine won't ship until the middle of the week with Japan being so much closer to China.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-11, 10:57

I would hate to be Apples logistics coordinator during launch times.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 13:09

Now that all launch-day pre-orders are sold out, what do you think the sales numbers are going to be? According to numbers I read today, they sold 200,000 original iPads day one and 500,000 iPad 2s day one. So what's the estimate for the new iPad? 700,000? One million?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-11, 14:52

Isn't that Tim Cook's area of expertise?

Edit was a reply to the logistics post.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-11, 16:56

I don't know what Tim's expertise is, but I know what it isn't: trying to be Steve during keynotes. He should just be himself.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 18:53

It would be so cool if next time, Tim just walked on stage and said "We have a new iPad, it's better than the last one. Order it now." Then he just tosses the little remote into the audience and walks off stage.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-11, 21:53

I'm getting super excited about the new iPad. I spent about 5 hours in the car this weekend and caught up on some podcasts from the week. And uniformly, the people who have seen the iPad in person have raved about the display. Going on about how unreal it is to see a retina display in that size, etc. I can't wait. My iPad's display looks a little blurry compared to my iPhone's and the screen is kind of scratched up after 2 years of heavy use (probably an average of 4 hours/day).

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 22:09

Quote:
It would be so cool if next time, Tim just walked on stage and said "We have a new iPad, it's better than the last one. Order it now." Then he just tosses the little remote into the audience and walks off stage.
Agreed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-11, 22:12

In SC with my dad and stepmom, and they ordered themselves a black 32GB wifi iPad yesterday. It arrives on the 26th.

They're giving their 16GB iPad 2 to my sister.

They offered it to me first and I declined. Then they tried to buy me a 32GB new one (on their order).

I'm obviously bent in some deep-seated ways...

Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 22:37

And you said no? Bend yourself back and say "yes".
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-11, 22:45

Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 05:03

Wow. Apple Japan is now showing new orders placed as of today with a 2-3 week shipping. Holy crap.
Sounds like it might be quite popular.
noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2012-03-12, 07:45

Having resisted getting an iPad 2, I am planning to upgrade from the original to the new one. But I I'll wait a little, let you guys try it out, and tell hesitant buyers like me what you think of the new iPad and how good and reliable it proves to be in everyday use ...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-12, 09:09

Quote:
Wow. Apple Japan is now showing new orders placed as of today with a 2-3 week shipping. Holy crap.
Sounds like it might be quite popular.
Exactly. It'll make the 2 look like an timid experiment.

I love it, as with the iPhone 4s, Apple releases a product that is allegedly "underwhelming" or a somehow gives a leg up to the "competition".

Months later, during the quarterly financial results, or perhaps during a press event or keynote, we learn that this new product has already outsold the one it replaced. And the competition are still fighting amongst themselves for that 4-7% sliver of the pie.

Wake me up when the usual pundits and analysts get some new material...
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 09:17

Great article on this over at Slate Magazine. Here's an excerpt.

" I worry that Apple’s rivals haven’t adequately taken stock of the potential disaster that lies ahead of them. Since the middle of 2010, when it became obvious that the then-new iPad would become a blockbuster, I’ve been sketching out two possible scenarios for the tablet market. First, it could go like the smartphone business—one in which Apple commands a healthy share of sales and an even better share of the profits, but where its fortunes are nevertheless circumscribed by competitive rivals whose products have come to be seen as acceptable alternatives. If the tablet market shaped up like the smartphone market, it wouldn’t be a great outcome for Microsoft, Dell, Intel, HP, Samsung, HTC, or Google, but it wouldn’t be catastrophic, either.

The other potential scenario, though, is far less optimistic for Apple’s competitors. It’s the iPod model. In this story, Apple begins by releasing a novel, category-defining product. Then, as rivals scramble for some way to respond, Apple relentlessly puts out slightly better versions every year, each time remaining just out of reach of the competition. Meanwhile it lowers its prices and expands its product lineup, making its devices more accessible to a wider audience. Then, to finish the game, it finds a way to boost its position through network effects and customer lock-in. (In the iPod’s case, it accomplished this through the iTunes software and built-in music store.) Put it all together and you have a device that’s unbeatable. In 2011, 10 years after its release, the iPod still represented a whopping 78 percent of the market share in music players.

It’s been two years since Apple’s tablet went on sale. Rivals have released dozens of alternatives, but the iPad still represents more than 60 percent of market share. Worse, the rest of the market is dominated by two devices that are being sold at a loss—Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble’s Nook. At yesterday’s launch event, Apple did everything it needed to do to repeat the iPod story. First, the iPad’s new “Retina” display and 4G networking will improve the device just enough to make it difficult to match, let alone beat. More importantly, Cook expanded his product lineup and lowered his prices. The new iPad starts at $499, as the iPad 2 originally did, but the older version is now selling for $399. See how this shaping up? The iPad market is looking more and more like a sequel to what happened with the iPod. Like most sequels, this one will be bigger and way scarier for everyone involved."
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 09:35

Amazing how many article don't get their facts correct:

Quote:
iPad 3 pre-orders placed online in the U.S. and Canada will not ship until at least March 19. Customers who placed an order on the earlier side of the pre-sales process were initially told they would receive the tablet on March 16.