Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac Book Pro and Verizon Internet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Book Pro and Verizon Internet?
FireMurphy

2006-05-12, 11:31

Hey all,

I didn't know which forum to post this thread in, so I hope no one minds. I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether the new intel mac books will allow you to use verizon's global internet card. I believe that before, the verizon global internet access card only worked on PC's, I'm wondering if the intel switch means it will work on the mac's as well.

Thanks
FM
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-05-12, 11:37

You could always install Boot Camp and use the card in Windows.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 11:37

Only working on PCs doesn't have anything to do with the chips. It's the operating system that matters, not the hardware.

Their service only works for PCs because Verizon only has software and drivers for Windows.

Also, the new MacBook Pros use a new expansion slot called ExpressCard/34 that is totally not compatible with the old PC Card standard, which is what all of Verizon's broadband cards use. They don't have an ExpressCard/34 version yet (although Sprint is supposedly expected to have one soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk
You could always install Boot Camp and use the card in Windows.
Not unless Verizon has an ExpressCard broadband card. I'll check to see if they do.

*edit* nope, they dont.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-05-12, 11:49

The Windows requirement was for activation of the card only - once activated, it works fine (in a PowerBook which has a PC Card slot, of course).

When Sprint and/or Verizon have ExpressCards available, though, you can use Boot Camp to activate the card on your MacBook Pro, instead of having to find a Windows laptop to borrow.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
The Windows requirement was for activation of the card only - once activated, it works fine (in a PowerBook which has a PC Card slot, of course).

When Sprint and/or Verizon have ExpressCards available, though, you can use Boot Camp to activate the card on your MacBook Pro, instead of having to find a Windows laptop to borrow.
Hmm... I didn't know that (then again, I didn't look). That's certainly good news for MBP owners.