Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Beer Thread™
Page 7 of 9 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-02-10, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
- Magic Hat #9
Anna really likes this one too. I'm not a fan personally (there's something in there that I can't put my finger on - I think it's chamomile, but haven't found anything online to back me up), but it's very popular on-tap here in MI.

I've been thinking about brewing my own lately too - seems like something I could figure flavors out and eventually do well - but knowing me I wouldn't follow through. If I'm going to do something in my basement it will likely involve copper coils and a "no open flames" sign at the door.

So it goes.
JohnnyTheA

2012-02-10, 22:12

Two words:

Smid disks

Okay it is not pronounced like that. But it is good...

JTA
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-02-10, 23:04

We had a quick trip to NYC last weekend and I tried a Brooklyn Lager, which I have not had before. I quite liked it. A lingering cold had me a bit under the weather and I was not in much of a drinking mood, so I did not get to sample it as much as I would have otherwise liked.

I'd love to taste that rye beer that 709 mentions.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2012-02-11, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Nonetheless, the march of beers must go on!

Funky name, but it was very smooth, despite how dark it was.
I have to second that. I have a place nearby that has Moose Drool on tap and it is amazing
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-02-11, 02:23

Been a massive beer binge lately.

Notables:

Ballast Point Sculpin - sweet jesus this is a good beer but you must like the hops. A crowd pleaser.
Port Brewing Old Visc - when they say like drinking motor oil they mean it. Flavour ++
Allagash - funky beers that seem to be either mixed with wine grapes or aged in barrel.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-02-11, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Been a massive beer binge lately.

Notables:

Ballast Point Sculpin - sweet jesus this is a good beer but you must like the hops. A crowd pleaser.
Port Brewing Old Visc - when they say like drinking motor oil they mean it. Flavour ++
Allagash - funky beers that seem to be either mixed with wine grapes or aged in barrel.
Allagash has been missing the mark for me... I really just prefer standard Belgian style strong ales. Chimay Grand Reserve and Unibroue La Terrible in particular.

Two more beers that I'll skip next time:
Stone Vertical Epic (w/chiles and cinnamon)
Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel...a little too heavy for me. Almost like a chocolate porter.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-02-11, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Allagash has been missing the mark for me... I really just prefer standard Belgian style strong ales. Chimay Grand Reserve and Unibroue La Terrible in particular.

Two more beers that I'll skip next time:
Stone Vertical Epic (w/chiles and cinnamon)
Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel...a little too heavy for me. Almost like a chocolate porter.
Allagash I liked because they challenged the norm. Ironically it was the beer aged in Beam barrels I liked the most (I hate Beam).

As for Chimay, if you now someone in NZ who would want "aged" 3L then I know some people. Cheap as chips, but a bitch to keep cold as the bottle is so fracking* big.

*watching BSG again.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-02-11, 18:00

I just found an awesome independent grocer with all kinds of awesome stuff you can't get in other places, including awesome beer.

They have this big wall of single bottle (imports mostly) in their refrigerator, and you can "make your own 6 pack" for $9. Tons of great imported beers from Germany, England, etc.

I got 4 pints of Boddington's (not from the wall just in general), a six pack of Dogfish Head IPA (allegedly won Best Beer in America 3x), and a make-my-own 6 pack full of Bavarian goodness.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-11, 18:21

¡Damned!

2012-02-11, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
... a six pack of Dogfish Head IPA (allegedly won Best Beer in America 3x) ...
If you end up liking the 60 minute I'd recommend trying the 90. It's the best of the 3 IMO.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-02-11, 19:04

I've been digging the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-18, 04:25

I was looking for a silver lining but found these instead!

ø for Awesome - a monster beer from a local producer
Hop Juice - names a bit of a giveaway. It's really hoppy (for the slow)
Green Flash Rayon Vert - interesting beer, but hard to get fully behind when brett is typically classed as a fault
Stone Ruination - nicely hopped big IPA.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-04-18, 08:55

I'm not a big IPA/hoppy beer guy. I prefer hefeweizens and wheats, personally. I drink a lot of craft beers but I'm drawing blanks on which ones I typically get right now. There's a small brewery in Lancaster, OH, called Rockwill that is really good.

I also feel lucky to have Great Lakes Brewing Company in my backyard here in Cleveland. They have some really great beers and the bar/brewery is a great place to go. Every thursday they take one of their beers and they infuse it with something or alter it to have a special beer of the week. They always do fun stuff like that.

Gordon Biersch in Columbus is also a really good bar/brewery. I'm not sure if they have other locations, but I'm only aware of that one. I'm actually going back down to Columbus in a couple weeks and going there and getting some of that Rockwill beer.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-04-18, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm not a big IPA/hoppy beer guy. I prefer hefeweizens and wheats, personally. I drink a lot of craft beers but I'm drawing blanks on which ones I typically get right now. There's a small brewery in Lancaster, OH, called Rockwill that is really good..
If you like weisses you would probably like Saison Dupont. It's a belgian farmhouse ale and is one of my favorites. Also Pissenlit from Fantome is a really good beer for summer that is made with dandelions. Kind of hard to find though plus it's gotten really expensive the past few years.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-04-18, 19:03

When I was in SF last month, had the chance to appreciate a couple tasty 'new to me' beers. The first was called 'Pliny the Elder'. Very tasty double IPA that wasn't over hopped and bitter (like most doubles taste to me). The second was a Rodenbach sour ale. Downright quaffable and delicious.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-04, 22:40

The wife found a really good locally owned grocer recently and they have an excellent walk-in imported beer fridge where you can make your own six packs. There was an awesome German weiss-like beer I had but forgot the name (the label however is emblazoned on my brain). I'll try to remember to post it in there.

I also discovered I dislike IPAs pretty intensely. Way too bitter.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-04, 23:09

I can't stand IPAs or hoppy beers for that fact. There's a few select ones I like but I mostly drink wheats or hefes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-05-05, 09:23

I just had an IPA this week. Can't remember the name but it was something to do with a wolf. Had a few glugs and poured that son of a bitch down the drain. Ugh. First and last. I never imagined a beer could be so bad.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-05, 09:51

They really are pretty bad. I like to think of IPAs as the hipster's beer of choice because the rest of us wouldn't understand why they like it. And it sounds cool when you order. "Yes I'll have a pint of the Che G IPA with a side of pine nuts, please."

Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-05, 09:57

Of course, some people honestly just like IPAs...

I like bitter, dry flavours in general.

Anyway, give the Sleeman IPA a try, if available where you are. Nicely balanced and one of my favourites.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-05, 10:27

If I can find an IPA that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste / kill the flavor of anything I happen to be eating at the time, I'll try it. Is there a bitter scale for IPAs like the Skoville scale for pepper hotness? I think I'd be looking for something that registered as "bitterness so faint it almost doesn't have the right to be called an IPA".

The couple I tried (microbrew variety) were so bitter they made Guiness seem like chocolate milk.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-05-05, 11:55

Quote:
If I can find an IPA that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste / kill the flavor of anything I happen to be eating at the time, I'll try it. Is there a bitter scale for IPAs like the Skoville scale for pepper hotness?
In fact there is: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/01...terness-range/
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-05-05, 12:15

Sounds like y'all are drinking shitty over hopped IPAs. No wonder you hate them, they're fucking terrible.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-05, 13:11

Quote:
If I can find an IPA that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste / kill the flavor of anything I happen to be eating at the time, I'll try it. Is there a bitter scale for IPAs like the Skoville scale for pepper hotness? I think I'd be looking for something that registered as "bitterness so faint it almost doesn't have the right to be called an IPA".

The couple I tried (microbrew variety) were so bitter they made Guiness seem like chocolate milk.
But the bitter aftertaste is exactly what I am after (along with the bitter main taste).

I would agree, though, that an IPA does not go with every food. But you can say that about different styles of wine too. A good, nicely-hopped IPA goes well with a grilled steak or hamburger. It is also fantastic with Indian food, for example. I really like it on its own too, without food.

Eugene
careful with axes

2012-05-05, 19:19

You're lucky to have tasted Pliny the Elder. It's forever not in stock unless I hound my e-mail notifications.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-05-05, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
You're lucky to have tasted Pliny the Elder. It's forever not in stock unless I hound my e-mail notifications.
If you're ever in SF, Toronado on Haight St has it. The Monk's Kettle also has it (along with tons of other awesome beers).

EDIT: just realized Toronado is the place in The Haight where I had Pliny. Can't remember the name of the place in The Mission.

Last edited by tomoe : 2012-05-05 at 20:11.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-05, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Holy wishes granted, Batman... ask and ye shall receive. All right well now I have something to go on here. I'll mark a few from the low end of the spectrum and take it on a post-it my next visit to the "fridge". Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Sounds like y'all are drinking shitty over hopped IPAs. No wonder you hate them, they're fucking terrible.
Quite possibly.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-05-05, 23:53

I'll throw my hat in with IPAs. I'm enjoying a bottle of Full Sail IPA right now.

Chinney and I will be over here enjoying our dry, bitter beers, thankyouverymuch.
¡Damned!

2012-05-06, 19:05

Quote:
I also discovered I dislike IPAs pretty intensely. Way too bitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I can't stand IPAs or hoppy beers for that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I just had an IPA this week ... I never imagined a beer could be so bad.
Infidels, the lot of you.

IPA's are delicious, and my favorite beer style by far. Sure, there's a lot of bad IPAs, just as there's bad every other style of beer, but the bad IPAs tend to stand out more because either a) the brewer didn't know what they were doing and just decided YAY HOPS, or b) it was intentionally hopped to an extreme to boost the flavor and IBUs just so the brewery could put something like that in their mix. In both cases, they have no fucking idea what a true IPA is.

Moogs, calling IPA a "hipster drink" is akin to calling bourbon a "fad" - IPA has been around for nearly 200 years. And for good reason.

Quote:
If I can find an IPA that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste / kill the flavor of anything I happen to be eating at the time, I'll try it.
A few of my widely-available favorites are Bell's Two Hearted, Founder's Centennial and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Of those, I'd probably steer you towards the Two Hearted. Also, Founders recently came out with "All Day IPA" - a session beer, so not that big - I personally don't like it (tastes like a dry-hopped pale ale) but a lot of people I know love it. That could be your baby-step into a beer with real taste.

wrt IBUs - don't trust that list as far as taste. I've been drinking SN's Bigfoot Ale all day (a Barleywine-ish beer) and it's not any more bitter than the crap IPAs you've been drinking.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-05-06, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If you end up liking the 60 minute I'd recommend trying the 90. It's the best of the 3 IMO.
Also, don't take that advice. I thought that by you buying the 60 Minute you were into it. The 90 Minute will only reinforce your hatred for IPAs (even if I think it's phenomenal), and god forbid you ever taste the 120.

So it goes.