Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Woot! (FEMA Thread)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Woot! (FEMA Thread)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-09-12, 18:17

What's-his-face Brown quit! Of course, I would've rather had Bush fire him, but at least he's gone now.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-09-12, 18:23

Let's hope his legacy doesn't hinder the cleanup of NOLA even more than it already has.

¡Damned!

2005-09-12, 18:30

R. David Paulison has been chosen to take his place.

At least this new guy's got more credentials than staring at Arabian horseshit judges for a living.

We should've had him running the show in the first place.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-09-12 at 18:31.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-09-12, 19:45

Yeah, who nominated Michael Brown for the post in the first place?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-12, 19:58

I find it sad that the City and State leaders suck at their jobs and then take it out on everyone else. Pithetic leadership.

¡Damned!

2005-09-12, 20:04

Indeed. The City of Louisiana should certainly take a few leadership cues from the Feds.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 12:52

The lesson that everyone needs to learn, here, is that politicians (well, 90% of politicians) are just actors with great speaking skills who couldn't lead lemmings off a cliff!

The total break-down of our government, at EVERY level, should wake Americans up to the fact that the ever-growing government megalith is not the answer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-13, 13:01

Regardless of a stupid slip-up of the tongue, I still want to know why the Mayor of NOLA ordered a mandatory evac at the last minute, only to leave many residents with no option to get out. They had buses. They could have done at least a token sweep of the city, but no. They just left everyone, expecting someone else (the feds) to come save them afterwards. Criminal, IMO.

The screw-ups started at the bottom, and worked up, not the other way around.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-09-13 at 13:02.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-09-13, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Yeah, who nominated Michael Brown for the post in the first place?
And who spent a whole 45 minutes on his confirmation hearing? And don't the Senators have interns and a system for checking out candidates reference's?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
And who spent a whole 45 minutes on his confirmation hearing? And don't the Senators have interns and a system for checking out candidates reference's?
No matter who made the "mistake" of hiring him, he is not responsible for the mess that now exists. That folly rests on the shoulders of the NOLA mayor and the governor, both of whom were given all the power they needed when Bush declared a State of Emergency, PRIOR tot he storm hitting. Their lack of leadership should not be passed onto others.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

SKMDC

2005-09-13, 16:20

I was just addressing the subject of this thread. (who's responsible for hiring Michael Brown to run FEMA)

If you want to start a who's to blame for poor response to the flood, then be my guest.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I was just addressing the subject of this thread. (who's responsible for hiring Michael Brown to run FEMA)

If you want to start a who's to blame for poor response to the flood, then be my guest.
Yeah, sorry. Get a little carried away, sometimes.

Anyway, the dude was appointed by George W. Bush. His replacement was also appointed by the President. It is a political position, so qualifications need not extend much beyond those I listed above. The Director is little more than a face for the media to look at, while other folks handle the details.

To my knowledge, there is little to no oversite involved with the oppointment. Paulison's credentials do not appear to qualify him for the position any more than Brown. This quick, poorly thought out decision is a simple "shoot first, ask questions later" bandaid.

SKMDC

2005-09-13, 17:58

He was confirmed by the Senate, and someone in the Bush Administration should have vetted him.

But the way I understand it (well, according to Time Magazine) is that FEMA has become a bastion for cronyism since it's been swallowed by DHS.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 18:44

FEMA is a joke. Nothing more than a power grab. It was put into place with the understanding among the states that, if a state of emergency is requested, then FEMA takes over. Period. If a disaster of ANY type occurs, FEMA steps in. The states yield their authority if they want federal funds. FEMA should step in, but ONLY under the authority of the Governor (not that that would have made a difference in NOLA). It's the ol' "you can play with my ball, but I get to make the rules" trick.

The Department of Homeland inSecurity is just another passing of the power torch. Ineffective. But there I go rambling again.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-09-13, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Paulison's credentials do not appear to qualify him for the position any more than Brown.
Wow.
You could not possibly be any more wrong. It would, quite literally, be impossible. A simple Google News search for "Paulison's credentials" will lead you to dozens of articles describing his pre-FEMA experience both briefly and in great detail.

Here's a nice brief version from CNN:

Quote:
Before joining FEMA, Paulison was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department in Florida, overseeing its 1,900 personnel with a $200 million operating budget and a $70 million equipment budget.

A paramedic, he also supervised the county's emergency management office from 1995 until 2001. He was selected fire chief of the year by Florida in 1993.

The Miami native began his career as a rescue firefighter in 1971 and rose through the ranks before becoming chief in 1992.

His emergency management experience includes Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Everglades in 1996.
I don't see how you can possibly compare that in any way with Brown's pre-FEMA experience working on political campaigns, overseeing Arabian Horse judges, and being a smalltown Oklahoma lawyer.

I'm honestly quite curious, though - where and how did you come by that opinion? Have you read any news articles that support it (and if so, can you post a link)? Did you get an email from a friend, or see it in a blog or forum post somewhere? Is it from water cooler or barstool or dinner table conversation?

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-13, 19:26

Wow. This thread sucks.