Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-12, 10:07

Fair and Balanced.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-12, 10:38

That Slate piece makes good points. Gruber, Jim Dalrymple and others linked to it the other day and I think I first read it the day after the new iPad's introduction.

I kinda have to go with the latter scenario. Yeah, there's competition, but only in the most basic, vague sense of the word...as in "yeah, other touch-based 7-10" tablets do exist in the world. Nobody wants, or buys, them in any real numbers (and there's no real sort of ecosystem, both hardware and software, to go along with them in any meaningful, simple and useful way). But they do exist...".

I guess you can call that competition.

Apple got in, struck first/hard, had a proven approach (nearly three years of the iPhone/iOS as "training wheels" and testing ground, plus the iTunes and App Stores doing their part to make it all a bit more worthwhile and inviting for users...especially regular people, the very ones that so many other companies seem to neglect or ignore in the almighty chase for geek/buzzword cred).

Three years from now, it'll be the iPad. Just like it was the iPod. I truly believe that, for many reasons.

I do agree that the phone situation is different because it involves outside carriers, lengthy contracts, subsidies, evolving, confusing standards with slow rollout across regions/markets, specific models supporting these features/functions/specs, certain areas having better reception/performance for particular carriers, people get locked into "what they know", the fact that many people simply don't want/need a "smartphone", etc. It's a circus, rodeo and bar-fight, all rolled into one, the cell/smartphone side of things.

So I can understand why the iPhone might, in the eyes of some, face some competition or have to scrap it out a bit more than the iPod and iPad (although with Verizon and Sprint now in the mix, it's a little harder to understand why, vs. 2-3 years ago when AT&T was the only game in town here in the U.S.). But I digress...

The iPad, as was the case with the iPod, truly stands alone, IMO. Unlike phones, people are more in a position to make a completely free, "this is what I want, and I can get it!" choice and go with what they see to be a better, more complete (and proven, dialed-in) product. No contracts, no confusing choices, plans, caveats, fees, differing designs and functions, etc. The iPad just is. It's the simplest, most "yeah, this is how it should work" thing I've ever seen, frankly (iOS devices in general).

It'll be the standalone icon that represents the category/product to even the most casual of observers. It'll be the one that is constantly chased and measured against. It'll be the one others seek to "kill" with constant, mega-hyped releases. It's the one that will be the target/punchline of the "open" crowd or the more geek/tinkerer types (even though they probably secretly want one, but could never publicly cop to it). It's what we'll all see in movies and TV shows. It's the one other companies will use to insert their own screenshots into in Sunday sales circulars nationwide. And it's the only thing a teenager (or 50-something) wants for his/her birthday.

Intangible, "gut" stuff like that...it's hard to replicate or conjure out of thin air, as these other companies are surely realizing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-03-12 at 10:53.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-12, 16:43

Current update:

Fed Ex decided:
1) Ok to drop off Dock without signature
2) Take cover away until another attempt (all covers must be signed for! )

Apple decided:
3) To give me a tracking number the day after but the device still hasn't reached a shipment location. I suspect all last week they were taking shipments from China and they have a backlog of product to register in their systems before they send them out to shipping facilities.

I was one of those "Delivers on March 16" people the first day, so if it doesn't show up within a day or two of that I'm gonna be pissed. Especially if they charged my card already, which I haven't checked.

...into the light of a dark black night.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-12, 18:11

I received shipping notice today, says delivered by the 16 (via UPS... , wish they still used Fed EX), but the tracking # is not yet active.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-12, 18:45

I got my shipping notice yesterday (it's FedEx); it's showing as having been 'picked up' in Ontario, CA, for delivery on Friday. Gonna pre-sign for delivery since I'll be in class when it gets here.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-12, 19:27

Got shipment notification today. I'll be in sessions literally all day long on Friday so I won't be able to set it up but I will be in the office to receive it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-12, 19:53

Checking the Verizon 4G LTE map I was pleasantly surprised to discover nearly the entire area where I'd use this device is LTE and maybe 15% of it 4G "LTE Extended", which I take might mean not quite as fast, but I'm not sure. Either way none of it is 3G which is great.

And according to Apple's tracker page, my iPad HAS shipped even though there's no tracking data. Strange because usually there is an origin listed if nothing else.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-12, 20:48

LTE extended means you are farther away from the sites and your coverage may be spotty. I've been in some of those areas and it is hit or miss. Sometimes it's fine and other times it's really only useable outdoors.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 20:59

I assume that 3G reception is built in too though. Yes/no?
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-12, 21:09

Yeah, they have 3G as well. A 4G only model is many years away. Most of Europe has no LTE and will be that way for a while. Very little in Asia as well.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 22:02

I'm not sure that's true of Japan. Most of the country will have coverage by the end of this year. Three separate carriers are rolling out already for major cities. Osaka, where I live already has LTE enabled on the towers. I had a letter from my carrier last week asking me if I wanted to upgrade.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-12, 22:39

Good to hear. Are you on KDDI? I heard they are on the verge of launching.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
Good to hear. Are you on KDDI? I heard they are on the verge of launching.
No, SoftBank. They soft-launched last November and began rolling out last month in most major cities. The network is based on Advanced eXtended Global Platform (AXGP), an advanced version of the Japanese PHS standard, and is highly compatible with TD-LTE, the China-backed 4G standard.

Regards
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-12, 23:28

Interesting. Clearwire here in the US is switching from WiMax to TD-LTE and is in a partnership with China Mobile.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-13, 05:41

First unboxing up on YouTube (in Vietnamese).

http://youtu.be/9FCm_ggEhPQ

Geekbench Score.

Last edited by Jason : 2012-03-13 at 06:27. Reason: Added link
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-13, 09:10

1 GB of RAM!

Quite a sizable update, this iPad. The only thing that's realistically even a tiny disappointment is possibly the lack of a FaceTime HD camera to go with that gorgeous screen, but not even all Macs have one of those yet.

I think Apple will sell a boatload of these.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-03-13, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
1 GB of RAM!

Quite a sizable update, this iPad. The only thing that's realistically even a tiny disappointment is possibly the lack of a FaceTime HD camera to go with that gorgeous screen, but not even all Macs have one of those yet.

I think Apple will sell a boatload of these.
they will, and you're right, the lack of improvement to the FaceTime camera is very disappointing. Video chat quality has always looked very poor on the iPad and now it will be even more glaring.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-13, 11:55

Technical question: how, exactly, do my Dad and stepmom best migrate from their current iPad 2 to their new, on-order 32GB model (which arrives on the 26th)?

She's on iCloud and has her stuff (contacts, bookmarks, etc. all syncing). And she's got a couple of pages/screens of third-party apps too.

I don't have any real iPad experience, other than some "from ground zero" setups (which are easy when you don't have to consider or allow for previous settings or content), and I have NO iCloud experience.

Could you list the smartest, safest steps in order? I'm looking to accomplish two things (and I won't be around, physically, to assist, so I need to be able to coach/guide them from afar, if needed):

- Make sure nothing gets erased/wiped out from their current iPad (apps, settings, etc.)
- Once their new 32GB model is up and running and all is cool, to wipe the older iPad 2 clean for delivery to my sister

In my mind, I would think the procedure would be:

1) Dock the original iPad 2 and do a full backup to iTunes. Undock upon completion
2) Dock new 32GB iPad and do a new/restore setup from the just-completed backup
3) Dock the original iPad 2 and do a factory reset/restore

I just wasn't sure of the order of things, how iCloud factors in, what can be skipped or omitted (with iCloud in place), etc.

At what point do you log into iCloud? And will things getting wiped/reset on the original iPad "sync" to the new one, with all your stuff getting accidentally zapped (I still don't have my head completely around all this iCloud stuff, frankly).

An alternate scenario to the above(?):

1) Take new 32GB iPad out of box, boot up, log in with your iCloud info (not really sure what happens after this)
2) Once everything is set up on the new iPad, reset/zap the old one (and this can be done from the iPad itself, right?)

How would you guys go about the above scenario (iPad 2 -> New iPad, with both iCloud and/or iTunes backup in the mix)?

If this post is better suited as a standalone Genius Bar thread, my apologies. Perhaps a mod can make that happen if needed...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-13, 12:17

Your initial thoughts / 3 Steps is what I'm going to attempt for my own iPad 2 to iPad 3 migration (family member getting iPad 2). What I'm unclear on is how de-authorization comes into play as presumably every app I've purchased was licensed for a single iPad, so I have to read up on that.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-13, 12:22

Apps: they are not authorized on a device-by-device basis. They are authorized by your account. Once they are removed from the device and your Apple ID is erased, that's all you need to do.

Restoring from a previous iPad: When she starts up the new iPad, you'll be asked for your iCloud/Apple ID and if you want to restore from the backup. Say yes, and it'll start the download and restore process. It will take *forever* and she won't be able to use the iPad during this time, so she might not want to go that route.

edit: my smart cover got here today! And the FedEx person also said "You've got another one coming at the end of the week..." I said, "well, if you've got it now, I'll take it!" Of course, she said no. I was sad.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-03-13, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
edit: my smart cover got here today! And the FedEx person also said "You've got another one coming at the end of the week..." I said, "well, if you've got it now, I'll take it!" Of course, she said no. I was sad.

that's weird that she has a notice of future delivery for your address.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-13, 13:20

Maybe it's in the little handheld thing they use for signatures and such. I know that the FedEx website has my iPad listed as 'Future delivery requested', so maybe they can see it through their system.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-13, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
that's weird that she has a notice of future delivery for your address.
I thought so too. I don't imagine that delivery drivers have a lot of time to sit around and look at packages in the warehouse. I think it's probably like Spec said with a list of future deliveries for my address.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-13, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Maybe it's in the little handheld thing they use for signatures and such. I know that the FedEx website has my iPad listed as 'Future delivery requested', so maybe they can see it through their system.
Think about it, if you can see your package in the FedEx system, the delivery guys/gals certainly should be able to see it.

Mine is in PA, and will be shipped on Thursday for overnight delivery Friday (FedEx).
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-13, 14:47

I went looking at iPads with my girlfriend yesterday, because we're thinking of getting one for her mom. They were obviously iPad 2s and not the new one, but she wanted to just check them out and see how they work and junk.

Her mom is a typical non-tech minded person who has a PC but only uses it to play little card and strategy games, and to check email. I want to bring her roundly into the 21st century, and even though my gf is not a Mac person, she agrees that the iPad would be a good for her.

So my question is how many of you use an iPad that is completely standalone, not connected to iTunes or a PC or Mac in any way? With the advent of iCloud it's probably easier to do, but would love to hear any stories or things to watch out for.

We'll probably get her the new iPad for her birthday in May. Assuming they're readily available by then.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-13, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I went looking at iPads with my girlfriend yesterday, because we're thinking of getting one for her mom. They were obviously iPad 2s and not the new one, but she wanted to just check them out and see how they work and junk.

Her mom is a typical non-tech minded person who has a PC but only uses it to play little card and strategy games, and to check email. I want to bring her roundly into the 21st century, and even though my gf is not a Mac person, she agrees that the iPad would be a good for her.

So my question is how many of you use an iPad that is completely standalone, not connected to iTunes or a PC or Mac in any way? With the advent of iCloud it's probably easier to do, but would love to hear any stories or things to watch out for.

We'll probably get her the new iPad for her birthday in May. Assuming they're readily available by then.
I obviously have a mac (or 2 or 3 ) but my iPad is largely standalone. I use iCloud to back it up and I rarely connect it to my computer. I don't think there's ever been a time that I thought "I need to sync this thing". I do cheat a little by having my macs running Printopia for airprinting but short of that, I haven't needed another computer to use my iPad.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-13, 15:24

Xaqtly, I've set up three people in that exact situation...60+, no existing computer (and nothing to "unlearn", no files or data to migrate, etc.).

These are easy. I used iCloud to get them a free email, and go from there. Set up their wifi, showed them the stores and core apps.

Success all around. On my way out right now, but happy to share more later if you want (here or PM).

iPads are perfect for people in that scenario (non-tech minded, no demanding needs/uses, etc.).
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-13, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
iPads are perfect for people in that scenario (non-tech minded, no demanding needs/uses, etc.).
After my brother moved out of the house, my mom was left with no computer access at home. All she ever does is email and internet, so we bought her an original iPad the year they were released. She's been using it as her sole computer ever since (I had to update her iOS with my laptop until 5.0 came out) but she loves it. She's moved beyond just email and internet to reading books and playing games as well, so its really be a great addition for her.

My wife and I are essentially replacing our home computers (a 2006 white MacBook and same year iMac and my 2009 MBP that I also use for work) with our new iPads. And when you look at it like that, $1200 is a hell of a bargain for two new computers.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-03-13, 17:22

I'm replacing a 13" MBP with mine, and I don't think we're the lone rangers here. The main thing for me with the laptop is portability and being able to show clients my shit - but now with the iPad3's hi-res screen I feel comfortable with showing 1080p comps, where I didn't before.

Plus, 80% of the time I spend with the MBP it is on my chest checking email, interneting and watching Netflix. All taken care of with my new iPad.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-13, 17:28

Depending on one's needs/usage, an iPad could very well be someone's sole computer. No, not everyone. But enough.

And anyone thinking otherwise is wrong, and not paying attention.

If I didn't do what I did (Illustrator, etc.), I'd be an iPad-only person. Because when I'm not doing "real work", everything/anything else I enjoy doing is more than handled by my iPhone.

The day Adobe makes a somewhat complete/workable version of Illustrator for the iPad (or a third-party developer gets me 90% there) watch out...it's all over.