Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Other Applications for MultiTouch™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Other Applications for MultiTouch™
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-11, 19:01

Where else do you expect to see MultiTouch turn up in Apple's product lineup besides the iPod, which seems as short a putt as ever there was. Would you expect to see it on notebooks? Would you want fingerprints all over your screen or will we see iGloves anytime soon?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 19:04

We already have two-finger scrolling, second-click and zooming. It's not much of a stretch for them to implement some of the other iPhone gestures.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-01-11, 19:16

iGloves, nope. God, thats nearly as bad as the idiot who posted about an iPod HD being used as a heater...

Reason: Annoying to carry, another thing to lose, makes it less simple, fugly, and there's no need. Instead I think that they'll come up with some amazing screen overlay material, which means that no fingerprints are left 0.o

~/Suddoo


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 19:32

Naw, you need some way of being able to do it touchless.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-11, 19:41

iPhone hand-warmer? That would be awesome...You just bend the embedded metal tab in the middle and it mimmicks the exothermic reaction by running at 100% CPU.

Back on topic though...This was posted in another thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5JcSu7h-I40

Also this older example from a Mitsubishi lab:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5O1bTNbbWk4
Suddoo

2007-01-11, 19:53

Why do all those people think that its fake? That 'clicking' is the audio from it! Not the sound of a mechanical mouse

Is there a way to to sense where you fingers are - above a surface for short ranges?

'Zomg!!!11one', why have a got a bad rep for my 1st post in this thread! Please, who ever said, "Most the time I can't tell. Stop being a dick though." please come forwards and explain yourself. What you mean? Then we can sort out my 'dick' problems.. (sorry, I was in the rep-mood after I found out about them, 10 minutes ago )

~/Suddoo


chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddoo View Post
Is there a way to to sense where you fingers are - above a surface for short ranges?
Induction. Wacom's tablets do that.
Suddoo

2007-01-11, 20:04

But induction relies on a magnet in the pen being ..magnetised..?

And, I know for a fact that fingers dont have magnetic fields :P

~/Suddoo
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-01-11, 20:08

Quote:

~/Suddoo
maybe yours don't... but then again, you're not a robot

chucker

2007-01-11, 20:10

Quote:

That's moot. We'll all be walking around with metal enhancements in our fingers by then anyway.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 23:00

nintendo already has the powerglove
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-11, 23:15

What about on the screens of the next gen of notebooks?
Would you use it?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What about on the screens of the next gen of notebooks?
Would you use it?
Interesting idea. I would probably use it on occasion. It wouldn't be an all-the-time thing, but I would definitely use it.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-01-12, 00:12

maybe they could implement wiimote-esque technology in the future... so it's controlled not just by finger gestures, but also by hand/wrist gestures.

that would probably be more complicated than anything... but it would be cool.
Suddoo

2007-01-12, 03:03

Like minority report!

You would look a little odd though..

~/Suddoo

p.s. Who gave me that bad rep and insulted me? . Its one thing doing it, but hiding is even worse..


scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-12, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Interesting idea. I would probably use it on occasion. It wouldn't be an all-the-time thing, but I would definitely use it.
No way! If I just brush a spot of dirt off my screen I get an annoying grease mark there.. I would not want a touch sensitive laptop, or desktop display, unless it wiped clean instantly somehow.. Yeuch!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-01-12, 09:19

Once in a while, my cat called me "MultiTouch".
Enki

2007-01-12, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
No way! If I just brush a spot of dirt off my screen I get an annoying grease mark there.. I would not want a touch sensitive laptop, or desktop display, unless it wiped clean instantly somehow.. Yeuch!
But your good old fashioned buttons have just as much if not more crud on them because they seldom get cleaned. Double yuck! Visibility and cleanability of junk on the screen is all about the glare and surface texture, while I don't know what Apple uses for the iPhone, if it is smoother like the new optional MBPro screens then they should clean up nicely with little effort at all, and wont show much from straight on.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-01-12, 16:05

Think of the Boobies pics you could um... enlarge and rotate. Yeah.

That will get you multitouching.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-01-12, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki View Post
But your good old fashioned buttons have just as much if not more crud on them because they seldom get cleaned. Double yuck! Visibility and cleanability of junk on the screen is all about the glare and surface texture, while I don't know what Apple uses for the iPhone, if it is smoother like the new optional MBPro screens then they should clean up nicely with little effort at all, and wont show much from straight on.
I am not worried about multi-touching the iPhone. That you can wipe off on your shirt or trousers or on a cloth, as has been mentioned before.. I was referring to touching the screen on a laptop. That is not something I want to be pawing at all day long....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 04:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Think of the Boobies pics you could um... enlarge and rotate. Yeah.

That will get you multitouching.
LOL it could be a game... rub her the right way and hear her moan...

scratt
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 05:06

This thing doesn't have vibrate at the moment does it?

Otherwise you could actually make her quiver with pleasure too..
Enki

2007-01-15, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I am not worried about multi-touching the iPhone. That you can wipe off on your shirt or trousers or on a cloth, as has been mentioned before.. I was referring to touching the screen on a laptop. That is not something I want to be pawing at all day long....
That makes sense and is all about the texture of the screen surface itself. Most laptop screens have the mildly textured low-glare surface which shows oily fingerprints like neon. The newer glossy LCD screens aren't as great for glare, but they don't show fingerprints much when looking straight on and the color saturation is a bit better. Looks like the iPhone has the glossy type of screen. I also think the screen will be constructed far sturdier with less gooey give. The glass in a normal LCD is incredibly thin, but it is not made to be touched, and the mushy layer on top is partly there to protect/insulate the glass layer. Dedicated touch screens are far more firm.