User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Learn WebObjects?...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Learn WebObjects?...
Apple2Mac

2006-09-03, 14:08

Does anyone have any recommendations on what books I should start with to eventually get into WebObjects? After I heard WO was going open source I would love to be on the cutting edge of this technology. My current background is HTML, XSL, XML...
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-09-03, 17:55

Problem is that WO isn't cutting edge. It's very, very old.
JackBauer

2006-09-04, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375 View Post
Problem is that WO isn't cutting edge. It's very, very old.
True dat You're better off mastering JBoss or one of the commercial Java application servers.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 12:13

With your background, you might also think about ColdFusion and SQL instead. That's a really easy transition from HTML.
JackBauer

2006-09-04, 12:53

Give me a detailed description of your background and I can point you in the right direction if you want to make a career out of it.
Apple2Mac

2006-09-05, 23:50

Ok so what I'm looking to do is redeploy a site I built in 1998 is static HTML, I will be rebuilding and redesigning the site myself (I currently run my on OS X Server so I have complete control over the environment) the site is a film community site http://inetfilm.com
I haven't updated it in years, what I want to do is make the site more you-tube only in the sense that users can up load their own films etc. i.e. Community driven... My skill set is HTML, CSS, XML, XSL, FileMaker I can read and work with PHP and JSP but I'm not a programer I'm also a IT tech support and I build networks, setup mac os x servers etc.

I was thinking WO because it seamed like a powerful technology to work from and being an apple product that intrigues me. My concerns are if I learn something that the technology should be useful on other projects down the road, and second ease of building something with a one man team, time isn't really a object as the website is a labor of love....

Any suggestion welcome, pros and cons of any particular development platform...
Someone recommended RoR and I've heard allot about it. I heard cold fusion is a dead platform and I do all of my work on Macs so I need it to be UNIX compatable for deployment and OS X for development.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-09-06, 12:20

OMG those adds are killin me :P
JackBauer

2006-09-06, 16:20

Since you're already familiar with JSP and you're interested in WebObjects, I'd go the Java route. Once you're done with the application and you've deployed it on JBoss or Tomcat, you can move it on WO and it would work just the same (most of the time, *grin*)

But Java can get complex at times. I develop Java web apps for a living but at home I'm building things with RoR. I find RoR to be a lot easier and and a lot less complex. If you don't mind working with new technologies that haven't been through the proving grounds, RoR is a pretty good option. I plan on deploying 2-3 RoR apps in the next year. Nothing too critical so stability and performance isn't a big concern with me.
Apple2Mac

2006-09-06, 18:27

ya sorry about the adds the new site will have a different design and significantly less adds, just google text adds and a single top banner.

I did want the site to be web 2.0 will AJAX compatibility make a difference in what development platform I go with?..

I heard the Apple has committed to integrating RoR in 10.5 Server, however what would be used as the development platform? I use Dreamweaver and hand code most of my work, would I still use Dreamwaver?
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-09-06, 19:09

What do you mean by XSL? XSL-FO or XSLT?

And yes, Coldfusion isn't valid XML, which, as I see it, eliminates the point of its bulky syntax.

I'm a fan of PHP, but I'm in love with Ruby (not rails...).

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-06, 19:43

Why are you using Dreamweaver if you're coding by hand? Is it laziness and letting it finish your tags for you, or do you not know might be better options if you're just writing code? Check out SubEthaEdit. Trust me, you'll like it.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
rollercoaster375

2006-09-06, 20:30

Or if you're in love with tag completion, check out TextMate. Not to say that it's better than SubEthaEdit—They're just different editors (I have a license to both ).

But I agree, Dreamweaver isn't so wonderful.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
JackBauer

2006-09-07, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple2Mac View Post
I did want the site to be web 2.0 will AJAX compatibility make a difference in what development platform I go with?..

I heard the Apple has committed to integrating RoR in 10.5 Server, however what would be used as the development platform? I use Dreamweaver and hand code most of my work, would I still use Dreamwaver?
Web 2.0/AJAX can be done with any of the popular languages. Google released an AJAX toolkit for Java not so long ago and Rails has fairly streamlined AJAX support.

Apple already includes Ruby in OS X. You can develop RoR and Java on any platform (Win, OSX, Linux etc).
rollercoaster375

2006-09-09, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Web 2.0/AJAX can be done with any of the popular languages. Google released an AJAX toolkit for Java not so long ago and Rails has fairly streamlined AJAX support.
Any language that you can get to function can be used for Ajax work—Javascript is client side.