Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

block outside access to apache

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
block outside access to apache
CMKoehler

2005-12-28, 02:06

Hello all,

I am using my iBook for web development, and wanted to use the built-in Apache webserver.
However, everytime I type 'localhost' in my browser address bar, it shows my hostname, which makes me think it is possible for everyone else to access my web stuff from outside, too. I cannot block incoming traffic with the firewall either, it won't let me do that.
In Windows I could just type localhost and access everything, while blocking incoming traffic at the same time.
There has to be a way to do that in Mac

Thanks!

Christoph
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-28, 08:49

Yeah, Apple's interface to the built-in firewall is a little brain-dead in this regard.

There are several other apps available that give a much more advanced interface to the built-in firewall, though, that will allow you to block port 80 while Apache is running. Sunshield and Brickhouse are the first two that come to mind. I've used both in the past and they both generally work well; although, the last time I used Brickhouse, it had some trouble applying rules. Maybe that's been fixed since then.

Alternatively, if you're a Unix/Linux geek, you might be comfortable writing your own rules for the built-in firewall from the command line. It's just using the ipfw command. See the man pages for details.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
CMKoehler

2005-12-28, 15:24

Thanks Brad,

Brickhouse doesn't seem to be updated anymore and doesn't work on Tiger out of the box. I will be getting a router soon, so I will just hang in there until then.

Thanks for the tips though!

Christoph
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 16:21

I'm using Brickhouse on the latest version of Tiger and it works fine. I wanted to set some stuff up to only allow access to my LAN, which I can't do using Apple's tools, and all I had to do was set up rules to allow my IP range to access the services on all my computers, while denying everyone else. It took a while, because it wouldn't let me set a range of addresses in one rule, so for each port I wanted to open, I had to make eight rules.

It took about thirty minutes to set up, and then I just copied the rules from the config file to the rest of my computers and was done.
CMKoehler

2005-12-28, 16:46

Hm, thanks Jack. I guess I got it wrong.
I just set up an Apache access rule for now and it works fine now. Since I am getting a router soon I won't worry about it too much

Thanks though!

Christoph