Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

"Open With" doubling

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Open With" doubling
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-29, 15:51

Anyone have an explanation for this one? As you can see in the linked-to image, some options appear twice when I open the "Open With" submenu. I don't have two instances (or two versions) of the same software installed, so it isn't that - and at any rate, it occurs with other applications, too - for example, two listings for TextEdit appear in the "Open With" submenu I have a Word document selected.

Any ideas? I tried searching the forum without success. Running 10.4.6. Thanks!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-29, 16:21

There was something about this before... I believe chucker has the answer.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-05-29, 16:40

You need to rebuild your launch services. Give me a few minutes and I'll find you a link.

Edit: Here it is: How to rebuild your launch services.
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-05-29, 17:02

That has happened to me when I have my external HD with my backup system plugged in. I guess it means there are more then one version of a program to open it with.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-29, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I have always wondered why the "FAQ: Check this thread *first* if you have problems or questions!" thread said to check it first if you have problems. I mean, it's not like it would answer repetitive questions that have already been solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz
That has happened to me when I have my external HD with my backup system plugged in. I guess it means there are more then one version of a program to open it with.
That's a completely different situation; what you described is normal and the expected behavior. The original poster here, however, does not have multiple versions listed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-29, 18:11

There are also instances where Voiceover causes duplication of some menu items.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-29, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I have always wondered why the "FAQ: Check this thread *first* if you have problems or questions!" thread said to check it first if you have problems. I mean, it's not like it would answer repetitive questions that have already been solved.

If you'd like some insight, Brad, if that had turned up in my search results, I would have! Unfortunately, the terms I used either brought back nothing, or WAY too much to sort through (hundreds of results, many clearly not on point). Did I kill the site's bandwidth with this thread?

And thanks for the help DMBand0026!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-29, 18:42

Well, it's not like it's sitting there at the very top of the Genius Bar forum every time you load it.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-29, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Well, it's not like it's sitting there at the very top of the Genius Bar forum every time you load it.
Fair enough! But I confess that because the thread is such a permanent fixture, that my eyes tend to gloss right by it, like part of the landscape. I know there's a term that relates to that concept... and that Sherlock Holmes would be very disappointed (I also don't know how many steps lead up to my apartment).

And again, thanks for the help - the problem is fixed!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-29, 18:48

Okay, okay. I'm glad the problem has been fixed.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-29, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
There are also instances where Voiceover causes duplication of some menu items.
Actually, that's intended behaviour. It doesn't duplicate; it just shows multiple alternatives. For example, if you open your Apple menu, then hold the option key, you'll see that the ellipses next to Restart…, Shut Down… and Log Out <you>… go away. VoiceOver shows both versions (with and without dots).