Teen decapitated by ride at Six Flags Over Georgia
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-06-28, 20:11

What an idiot...

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Quote:
COBB COUNTY, Ga. (MyFox Atlanta) – Investigators with Cobb County police said a boy was decapitated at Six Flags amusement park Saturday.

Authorities said the incident happened just after 2:00 p.m. Saturday. A church group went to the amusement park and a group of boys with the group jumped a fence and entered an area that was marked off limits.

One of the boys jumped up and tried to grab someone's feet who was on the Batman ride. The boy ended up being decapitated.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-06-28, 20:17

There will still be an expensive law suit.

How awful in any case.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-28, 20:41

Yikes, what a horrible story.

But it was brought on by his own stupidity (he tried to "grab the legs" of riders passing by) and disregard for the posted rules (jumped a fence into a marked "off limits" area). Six Flags shouldn't be on the hook for anything. It isn't like he was on the ride and it failed due to lack of maintenance or because some known issue was ignored by the park. That, yes, would be grounds for some sort of suit.

Sad and unnecessary, this young man's death. But his fault alone.

I'm gonna freak at the first person in this thread to argue otherwise...

Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-06-28, 20:47

Instant Darwin award.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-28, 20:49

Famous last words: "Hey guys, watch this!"
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-06-28, 20:50

Can you imagine if you were the minimum wage worker or a rider on the attraction who happened to see this? Wow.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-28, 20:56

So now the question is, who's going to get sued? The park, for not warning them enough, or the church group, for not babysitting the kids completely?

My money's on the park, simply because they have so much money. The parents will come up with some bullshit case about how, somehow, the park's fences and warning signs didn't provide adequate warning. It'd never hold up, but Warner Brothers, being the bottomless pit of money that they are, will simply pay them a few million bucks to settle.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-28, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Can you imagine if you were the minimum wage worker or a rider on the attraction who happened to see this? Wow.
That would stay with me forever. I couldn't imagine witnessing something like this, minimum wage or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
So now the question is, who's going to get sued? The park, for not warning them enough, or the church group, for not babysitting the kids completely?

My money's on the park, simply because they have so much money. The parents will come up with some bullshit case about how, somehow, the park's fences and warning signs didn't provide adequate warning. It'd never hold up, but Warner Brothers, being the bottomless pit of money that they are, will simply pay them a few million bucks to settle.
They'd better not.

But I don't put it past anyone to try, of course...

The only person at fault here is the kid. Maybe the church group has a bit, but you can't really "babysit" 17-year-olds in a place like Six Flags (and at 17, they shouldn't be that damn stupid, frankly). Sorry, but that's just true.

So the eight-feet tall fence should, instead, be, what...20 feet tall? Three inches of steel, with cameras every six feet, motion detectors, etc. Anything less than that, and Six Flags is "negligent"? It's absurd, of course, but I can imagine some ambulance chaser/1-800-LETS SUE type trying to float such a thing if it comes to that...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-06-28 at 21:10.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-06-28, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Warner Brothers doesn't own Six Flags anymore, it's been independent for several years now. And as for being a bottomless pit of money...

http://www.thestockmasters.com/SIX-FLAGS-062708.html

Quote:
The move highlights the financial woes Six Flags has been suffering as the company has been hit hard by the slowing economy, particularly impacted by the rising price of gas, and intense competition from other forms of entertainment. The company has tried to save money with its recent move of exchanging $530.6 million in notes due in 2010, 2013 and 2014 for $400 million in bonds maturing in 2016, resulting in a net savings of $130 million. Additionally, the company has divested and closed some of its properties to free up more cash.

Despite these measures, Six Flags has not been able to stop the trend of losing money every year since 1998, plagued with a massive debt load of more than $2 billion due to overexpansion. With all the financial pressures that Six Flags has been experiencing, the only remedy for the theme park operator may be a merger with a stronger partner. However, when rival Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.(FUN) tested the M&A waters last year, it found no takers. So Six Flags' ride may end in bankruptcy"

Six Flags is the only company I have ever seen that has a debt level ($2.3 billion) that is 14 times larger than it market cap ($160 million). Stunning....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-28, 21:20

From CNN:

Quote:
The 17-year-old park visitor was killed after scaling two 6-foot fences...

Six Flags owes him (or his family) nothing.

If they want to be nice, maybe they can send a nice arrangement to the funeral home. But that's about all anyone with any sense could truly expect from them.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-06-28, 21:24

You know, in some ways I feel even more sorry for the family. Imagine having people constantly ask you, "I'm so sorry to hear about your son. How did he die?" "he was a moron and decided to scale a bunch of fences, ignore every warning known to man, and then tried to hitch a ride on a rollercoaster by grabbing some kid's foot."

Speaking of which, that poor person he grabbed hold of! That's got to be pretty nightmarish.

But I agree, Six Flags owes nothing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-28, 21:29

Yeah, that's true. They'd just better get used to saying "a theme park accident" and leaving it at that. Because, yeah...to lay it out the way it happened, in the way you did, holy smokes...it's kinda...well, embarrassing.

Nobody would want to cop to having such a reckless (or clueless?) sort for a child, I suspect.

"It was a theme park accident", and then change the subject...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-06-28, 21:34

The first thought in my head was "How hell did he manage to lose his head?"

I mean, if he's holding off a rider's feet, it's much more likely that his legs and torso would hit a support frame, but no, he loses the head. That's quite a feat.

Um, sorry. Carry on.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-06-28, 22:10

Yeah, I keep thinking what the hell he thought he would accomplish trying to grab someone by the ankles going 55 miles per hour through the air while the rest of their body is strapped to a big pole. I can many scenarios playing out in his head: other person's ankles are ripped off, other person's legs are ripped off, other person ripped in half at the waist, my hands are ripped off, my arms are ripped off, my upper torso is ripped off, I go flying through the air and flung 200 feet off the ground and crash to the Earth at terminal velocity, I hang on long enough to smack my body or some parts of it into some obstruction on the ride, thus squishing it, I hang on long enough to hit some obstruction on the ride that successfully separates some body parts from others, or maybe, just maybe, I hang on tight, clear all obstacles and come safely to a stop at the end of the ride and land on my feet unharmed. Yup, it must be the last one that is most likely.

Of course, I never thought I'd lose my head over this one, no sirree.

...as said on Fark: I like where this thread beheaded.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-06-28, 22:22

I'm sure the idea was to "scare" somebody. ha ha ha. Funny stuff!

idiot.

I do feel bad for his parents, but again, this is back to the idea that if I can find a way to do something it must be safe.

I mean, otherwise why would they only have two easily scalable six foot fences. I mean, anyone can just climb those, must not be that dangerous on the other side.....

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-28, 22:27

They just had a story on this on our local news. The reporter said "it's possible he was trying to retrieve his hat" which had apparently fallen off during a ride he had just taken on the thing...

Two things:

1) That doesn't explain the "jumping up and trying to grab someone's feet" nonsense/idiocy ("Jackass" culture)

and

2) Is a silly hat really worth climbing two clearly-marked "Keep out/Danger!" fences?

If this hat was, for instance, one that his beloved grandfather wore for good luck during WWII, and then gave to the kid for his 16th birthday or whatever, okay...I could understand the desire to get it back. But you go find a park official and let them know, and they'll send an employee to safely retrieve it for you. You know, like a normal person with a bit of sense would do...

As it stands, there's a super good chance - considering his age and so forth - that it was an Atlanta Braves or some sort of school/sports hat. Which makes him a bit of a numbnut, if that's the case...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-06-28 at 22:39.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-28, 22:49

I don't feel sorry for idiots like this.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-06-28, 22:59

Two six foot fences?! Holy shit. I'm sure the parents are broken up because he's there kid, but climbing two fences into a clearly-marked-as-unsafe zone is complete and utter stupidity. It's entirely his fault and I hope the theme park isn't sued, as they should have zero liability. They marked it off and they placed TWO fences. He ignored them and paid the price. Any right-thinking judge should see that.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-06-28, 23:03

I feel sorry for the family of this kid and those who were effected by it there at the park by either seeing it or being part of it. I also feel sorry for this kid. While he made a really poor choice, this is one with lasting impact. He can't go back and fix this one. Time won't heal it either. Hopefully those with him will take a real lesson out of this.

The park will not be sued for this. Any attempt would be shot down before it ever goes to court.

No offense intended here, but maybe we didn't want him procreating anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-28, 23:04

If which ever judge gets the case, I hope he has some common sense and throws it out if it's against the theme park.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-06-28, 23:55

If anyone posts something from one of those death sites, please put up warnings and spoilers and barbed wire and stuff... this stuff gives me the willies.

Idiot kids.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-06-29, 19:54

Sad (albeit the amount pending the intoxication of idiocy in him), especially for the parents, and definitely unfortunately horrific for anyone who could've seen it...

(Although, shouldn't have God performed a miracle or something – hell, just not let him too close to the ride ? I mean, kid dying while out with his church group !? A little slacking there, Mr Universe. I mean, cut us nonebelievers some slack and do what you "do" !

I think a 17 year old human being grotesquely decapitated by an amusement park ride while with his church group is definitely a faith changer for me. )
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-06-29, 20:05

Stupid Kid. Very sad for the parents, but only the kid is to blame.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-06-29, 20:56

Holy crap. This is insane, but it is in no way Six Flags' fault. He climbed two 6-foot fences which sound like they were significantly decorated in "Warning!" signs.

I just can't believe this actually happened -- I mean, decapitated? Even though it is 100% the kid's fault, I can't not feel sorry for him. One innocent mistake of climbing a couple of fences
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-29, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Although, shouldn't have God performed a miracle or something – hell, just not let him too close to the ride ? I mean, kid dying while out with his church group !? A little slacking there, Mr Universe. I mean, cut us nonebelievers some slack and do what you "do" !
God's plan.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-06-29, 22:11

Lawsuit my ass. What does Six Flags have to do to not be responsible, post armed guards along the fence lines?

Sure we could be all PC and pretend to be solemn and sorrowful but sometimes the world needs to hear the truth. And the truth is this kid was a fucking imbecile and his friends are imbeciles too for not smacking some sense into him before trying this stunt. This is no different than the drunk teen who stands up through the sun roof of a car and in cut half or decapitated or otherwise maimed when an accident ensues (which I'm sure happens many times a year in this country you just never hear about it).

Feel bad for the parents if you want to, but neither the kid nor his friends deserve an ounce of pity. This is now called dealing with the consequences for your stupid, thoughtless actions. America needs a huge heaping dose. There are no victims here. Let me repeat that: NO VICTIMS HERE and only victims deserve pity. Victims of crime, disease, natural disasters, war, wild animals, snake bites, poisoning, drunk drivers... whatever life throws at us. But not this.

Not sure if he got hit by a coaster part or a foot but either way when a large, solid object (foot-filled shoe) affixed to a roller coaster strikes your head at 80mph or whatever it is... what do you think is going to happen? This isn't a frickin baseball we're talking about and even that would kill you, but not decapitate you with a headshot at high speeds without a helmet.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-30, 02:12

God, a kid died.

Whether from an accident or a complete act of stupidity... a kid died. All of you are disturbed if you really need to repeatedly state the obvious and call the kid a moron after he killed himself.

Does it make you all feel better or something?

I don't get it... it's actually kind of disturbing to read some of your comments here.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-06-30, 02:18

Comment was nothing more than a personal attack. Removed. -alcimedes
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-30, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
God, a kid died.

Whether from an accident or a complete act of stupidity... a kid died. All of you are disturbed if you really need to repeatedly state the obvious and call the kid a moron after he killed himself.

Does it make you all feel better or something?

I don't get it... it's actually kind of disturbing to read some of your comments here.
I think it's mainly Moogs. He does tend to... *ahem*... speak his mind. Or go on rants.

I could also take your statement that someone died and turn it over and say, "So what?" People are constantly dying. If every single death were a huge tragedy to mourn, we'd never be doing anything but mourning. I suppose it might be considered a bit low to make fun of someone for dying in a stupid way, but what do you expect? I think we have to make light of death so we're not so afraid of it.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-06-30, 07:07

And let's not forget that kid = 17 years of age. His actions were obviously dumb (EG, the signs and two tall fences being there just to be circumvented), and I believe it always takes someone's moronism to influence dumb doings. In this case it all seems to have been his idea.

Of course, that's just relative to him. I'm sure he left behind plenty of people that miss him, and I feel for them. But feeling for him would be like feeling for the guy who tries to maze his car around the closed railroad bars (even though there's something purposefully blocking his crossing and flashing lights and a sign or two, not to mention the moving object that can inflect death) when the train is one hundred feet away. So what if the driver's 17 ? Maybe he didn't get the rest of life to prove he's not a moron, but at 17, really, he shouldn't need a whole life. He shouldn't have needed more than 15 revolutions around the sun.

What's the age limit when one must get a wrap around life (and looking at its signs – not God's since too often he seems to be oblivious partying, but the ones on the fence) ? I seem to have misplaced it.

And, in all sarcastic seriousness: really, why didn't 'God' put a little thought in this churchgrouper's head hinting at something like "Hey, it might be stupid of you to climb two fences that are trying to keep away public like you and you might pay your head if you do !" ? I thought He still messes with people's heads (or were their heads already a-messed with ? Now I must go contemplate...) ?

Also, I must agree with ranting thinking Moogs, that there is no victim here. Except a victim of death, and I believe that's being dealt with in another department of the universe. I imagine they often get too many cases when they ignore the living.