Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Quick emergency question...friend is with her Sprint iPhone 4s in South Korea

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quick emergency question...friend is with her Sprint iPhone 4s in South Korea
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-03-09, 18:04

What does she need to do to NOT rack up insane data/roaming charges?

She just arrived earlier today and told me she had it on Airplane mode (but then I questioned "how are you sending me this email?").

Help me help her.

Does she need to turn the whole thing all the way off? Or can she just disable the cellular radios and simply use it safely, like an iPod touch (wifi-only) in some way?

Please help ASAP...I'm trying to save her from herself.

She's there for two weeks for military business (she goes there twice a year for training/classes, but this is her first trip with her iPhone, or any smartphone). So she probably won't have the time or opportunity to run out and buy SIMs or find a local Sprint agent and work a bunch of angles.

I just need some hard info to share with her ASAP about whether or not she can use it at all, or if she should shut it down for good for two weeks (and just use land lines and email for any communication to friends and family back home). I don't want her getting hit with some obnoxious 4-digit bill next month when she's back home in Oregon...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-03-09, 21:58

The cellular and wifi radios are both shut off when airplane mode is enabled. If airplane mode is correctly set, there will be an airplane icon in the top left where the signal graphs would normally be, and there will be no wireless data coming in our going out. Nada! Zip!

If she wants to keep the wifi radio on, though, she should instead set Settings: General: Cellular: Cellular Data: OFF. This will disable data on the cellular plan but allow her to make and receive phone calls. If she want to disable incoming and outgoing calls too, she might want to eject the SIM card.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-03-09, 22:19

Thanks, Brad. I'll pass that along to her.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-09, 23:05

Yeah, ejecting the SIM is the safest bet to be sure she doesn't get charges she isn't ready for. No chance for her to get a surprise bill with that method. She could then use it like a WiFi only iPod Touch.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.