6. All Apologies - Nirvana
7. Green and Dumb - Roger Clyne
8. Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
9. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. Rescue - Uncle Kracker (haha)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-29, 03:41

Most of the songs you'd think of as "sad" songs seem overly cheesy to me. Not that I think they're bad, but I don't generally think of them as good songs to listen to when I'm sad. They're better when someone else is sad, i.e. in a sad scene in a movie.

Personally I like slow instrumental guitar or bagpipe music if I'm feeling really unhappy. Either one is very calming. Yes, I know I just said that bagpipes are calming... well, they can be!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-29, 04:28

I'm sure there are others that hit a note for me, but the only one that currently comes to mind is the classical piano of Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No. 1.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-12-29, 04:37

I dont have a top 10, but these are the songs I tend to listen too when not feeling the best:

1.)Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
2.)Holes in the floor of heaven (dont know the Artist )
3.)100 Years - Five for Fighting
4.)Losing My Religion - REM
5.)Time of Your Life - Green Day
6.)Someday - Nickelback

jm.
Julius

Send a message via AIM to Julius Send a message via MSN to Julius  
2005-12-29, 05:05

How about November Rain by Guns n Roses ? Or perhaps Fate to Black by Metallica for the days when you feel suicidal ?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-12-29, 06:01

If I was sad?

Satie's Gymnopédies and Cinq Nocturnes
Belle and Sebastian (any song)
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (the album)
Mazzy Star - I've Been Let Down
Mazzy Star - Look On Down From The Bridge
The Radio Dept. (any song)
The Velvet Underground - Candy Says

If I was suicidally depressed, I'd listen to Christopher O'Riley's True Love Waits.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-12-29, 08:34

4 A.M. - Our Lady Peace
One - Filter (One of the best covers, ever.)
A Long December - Counting Crows
1-800-Suicide - Gravediggaz (Well this song will usually kick you out of depression really quick)
The Last Song - Theory of a Deadman

Luca's comment reminded me, almost any rendition of Amazing Grace on Bagpipes will bring me to tears... I've heard it played at way too many funerals :-(

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-29, 08:58

You need to get some Leonard Cohen in there M'tosh, just what you need for a sad day.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-12-29, 10:10

Jeez, no Everybody Hurts by REM? I always think of that one first when I think about sad songs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-29, 10:39

I was just going to say that. That song is a heartbreaker!

I usually don't want to hear sad songs WHEN I'm sad (too much...ugh!). But sometimes I just enjoy them any ol' time.

A few of my favorites (and they might not be outright "sad", in and of themselves, but I associate them with particular people or situations in my life that might be a bit melancholy or blue):

1. "Except the New Girl" by Chris Isaak (listen to it and tell me you don't "see" it like a movie or video)

2. "Goodbye" by Steve Earle, off his Train A-Comin' acoustic CD. I think Emmylou covered it on her Wrecking Ball CD, but Steve's version is better

3. "Tecumseh Valley" by Townes van Zandt (but I first heard it from Steve Earle, on the above same album).

4. "Pancho & Lefty", written by Townes van Zandt, popularized by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard (also recorded by Emmylou). A beautiful song, and some of the lines are just awesome...

5. "Something About You" by Kevin Welch. Very pretty and simple, and some great lyrics.

6. "Amanda" by Waylon Jennings (Don Williams also recorded it, but I prefer the Waylon version). Very simple, only two verses...but speaks to me, the older I get.

7. "Holding Things Together" by Merle Haggard. Divorce, shielding his daughter from a wayward mother's neglect and forgetfulness (buying a birthday present and writing the mother's name on it because he knows the mom forgot to send one)...damn! Dwight Yoakam recorded a solo acoustic version of it that I love too.

8. "Miss Being Mrs." by Loretta Lynn, off her recent Van Lear Rose album (produced by Jack White). It was always a sad song (about her missing her husband, who died years ago), but it took on a HUGE significance after my stepfather died last year. When I listen to the song now, I see it through my Mom/apply it to her and what she probably thinks and feels most days.

9. "Alison" by Elvis Costello. All I'm gonna say on that one...

10. "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison. Not sad, but it gets me "right there" when I hear it.

TWO BONUS SONGS:

11. "Gulf Coast Highway" by Nanci Griffith. So sweet and longing.

12. "Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton (also recorded by Emmylou). If you grew up poor (or close to it), this one will hit a nerve. Beautiful song, written by Dolly. She can be deeper than her image, I've learned. She's written some really nice things over the years, but it's hard getting past some of that surface stuff.

I believe just about everyone one of the above, minus maybe one or two, is available at iTMS for those who are curious.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-29 at 10:58.
¡Damned!

2005-12-29, 10:55

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine is by far my favorite sad song.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-12-29, 11:02

The Final Cut (The entire album) - Pink Floyd

more later...
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-12-29, 11:07

Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore

That guitar solo almost makes me feel like crying. Good shit.

For the Love of God, by Steve Vai gets me too.
greenleaf

2005-12-29, 11:51

mad world - gary jules from the donnie darko soundtrack
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-12-29, 11:58

Wise Up - Aimee Mann (best use of a sad song in a movie - Magnolia - the whole cast sings it)
I Should've Known - Aimee Mann (getting even song)
Boulder to Birmingham - Emmylou Harris (song Emmylou wrote to Gram after he died)
Million Dollar Wedding - Gram Parsons (getting stood up - at the alter no less)
Heart of the Matter - Don Henley (getting over a divorce)
Boys of Summer - Don Henley (no song captures melancholy better)
Drive - the Cars (hate the Cars, hate hate hate them, but this is superb)
Allison - Elvis Costello (for the one that got away)
Long Distance Love - Little Feat (when you are away from home)
For a Dancer - Jackson Browne (death - In fact all of Late for the Sky deals with mortality, ironically, or maybe not, his wife would commit suicide shortly after)

I could list hundreds more, my wife always notes that for a generally happy and positive person, I listen to a lot of maudlin music.

Also I agree about bagpipes, the end of McCartney's Mull of Kintyre he uses bagpipes to rip your heart out, yet bring some calming effect at the same time.
And anyone who's ever heard Amazing Grace on bagpipes will testify as well.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-29, 12:19

You hate the Cars?!?!

That band was Hook City. Had the new wave keyboard stuff, but it ALWAYS had Elliot Easton's great guitar parts to keep it good and rockin'!

They're one of my all-time favorite bands...just great pop music. Some stuff has aged better than others, I'll grant you that. But more of it holds up than doesn't...and certainly more than a lot of bands from that same era.

I always dug them because just when you thought they were veering into some weirdo Devo or Depeche Mode synthesizer hell, here would come some cool-ass rockabilly or surf-style guitar fill or solo out of nowhere! Easton has been one of my top 10 favorite guitarists since I was old enough to be aware of such things!

And I was truly bummed when Benjamin Orr died a few years ago...he sang a huge chunk of their hits (although most assume it was that alien-looking Ocasek who did all the singing...they shared lead vocals, something you don't see much).

And yes...DEFINITELY "Boys of Summer". That song is wistful longing with a capital "W" and "L".

It's actually a bit freaky how many people I've learned over the years truly, truly love this song, and it affects them the same way it does me. I thought it was just me.

Everything about it is perfect. Even shades of the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows", with that little seagull sounding stuff after the middle break. That's a very visual song too. The video for it was great, one of my favorites. When you hear this song, you just imagine waves and a sunset and losing some hot vixen...

And that's Mike Campbell (from the Heartbreakers) playing all those tasty licks throughout. He basically wrote the song (the music, anyway), and, I assume, Henley did the lyrics?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-29 at 12:33.
¡Damned!

2005-12-29, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I could list hundreds more, my wife always notes that for a generally happy and positive person, I listen to a lot of maudlin music.
That's funny, my SO said something similar to me the other day. Though, to be fair, I've been on an enormous Joy Division kick lately, and Ian Curtis wasn't exactly the happiest guy on the planet.

I have to admit though, I tend to go for the slower gut-wrenching morose stuff. It satisfies something inside me...and oddly makes me feel better for some reason.

So it goes.
SKMDC

2005-12-29, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
You hate the Cars?!?!

That band was Hook City. Had the new wave keyboard stuff, but it ALWAYS had Elliot Easton's great guitar parts to keep it good and rockin'!

They're one of my all-time favorite bands...just great pop music. Some stuff has aged better than others, I'll grant you that. But more of it holds up than doesn't...and certainly more than a lot of bands from that same era.

I always dug them because just when you thought they were veering into some weirdo Devo or Depeche Mode synthesizer hell, here would come some cool-ass rockabilly or surf-style guitar fill or solo out of nowhere! Easton has been one of my top 10 favorite guitarists since I was old enough to be aware of such things!

And I was truly bummed when Benjamin Orr died a few years ago...he sang a huge chunk of their hits (although most assume it was that alien-looking Ocasek who did all the singing...they shared lead vocals, something you don't see much).

And yes...DEFINITELY "Boys of Summer". That song is wistful longing with a capital "W" and "L".

It's actually a bit freaky how many people I've learned over the years truly, truly love this song, and it affects them the same way it does me. I thought it was just me.

Everything about it is perfect. Even shades of the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows", with that little seagull sounding stuff after the middle break. That's a very visual song too. The video for it was great, one of my favorites. When you hear this song, you just imagine waves and a sunset and losing some hot vixen...

And that's Mike Campbell (from the Heartbreakers) playing all those tasty licks throughout. He basically wrote the song (the music, anyway), and, I assume, Henley did the lyrics?
I had people that worked for me that played the Cars to death, Mellencamp too, and a few others. although much I'm sure I could listen to now, But as to the Cars I also had a neighbor who was keen on the Cars album at three in the a.m. and would let it get to the 2nd or 3rd song pick up the needle and start all over.....maddening.

I think Henley wrote the lyrics, but the credit on the album is to both for both lyrics and music.
I wrote my list before I saw yours Pscates, after I saw yours I thought of a dozen more, but now I must go to cheaper by the dozen 2 with my children and I while quietly lust for Bonnie Hunt.\
more later.

Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-29, 14:33

Pictures of You - The Cure
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
Prayer for the Dying - Seal

that's all i can think of right now
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-12-29, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
How about November Rain by Guns n Roses ?
Seconded. I swear I must have listened to that song dozens of times one day last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
1. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
2. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
1 always reminds me of this girl I dated last summer; 2 always makes me feel nostalgic about everything.

Round Here by Counting Crows and Livin' For You by Boston are probably my favorite "sad" songs.

You ask me for a hamburger.
EmC

2005-12-29, 16:55

Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley & Alison Krauss. The video has to be one of the best I have seen in a long time too.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-29, 16:58

I don't listen to sad music when I'm sad, usually I put on something cheery.

The one in all cure for sadness is some Bob Marley. I love it, greatest way to start a day.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-29, 17:24

This one ranks pretty highly on my list. But, I generally don't like 'sad songs'. They are almost always cheesy, unless you're sad, but being sad is a waste of time.

http://www.kiefo.com/isitreal.mp3

shrug. Listening to it now, it just sounds cheesy, but it's still a nice song.... I guess.
SKMDC

2005-12-29, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Round Here by Counting Crows and Livin' For You by Boston are probably my favorite "sad" songs.
everything on the first crows Cd sounds sad. But lyrically, "Round Here" is a statement of independence, with Maria's side story of thoughts of suicide interlaced, but I always imagined she triumphed at the end. When I read the lyrics I found it to be quite incongruent with the music.

I was just at my favorite grocer, and they had a little Bee Gees marathon going, "I'm Trying to get a Message to You", "Lonely Days", "Massachusetts", "New York Mining Disaster", "I Started a Joke" man before those guys found the beat they were maudlin.

Of all those reconfigured american Beatle albums before Sgt. Pepper was one that they put a bunch of the sad ones on, Beatles V or Beatles 65, but thats when I realized I was drawn to weepers....Baby's In Black, I'll Follow the Sun, I'm a Loser, Yesterday, later with Elanor Rigby, A Day In the Life.

Procol Harum does them well too, although I'm never quite sure what the words mean.

Last edited by SKMDC : 2005-12-29 at 17:53.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-12-29, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
RE: BOYS OF SUMMER - There are also some trademark synth-horn sounds from Steve Porcaro (Toto) in there as well. Henley repaid the favour by singing some bv's on Lea.

SKMDC - Heart of the Matter is an excellent song. I actually find the spirit of the message to be uplifiting even though it is couched (? - I can't find this word on dictionary.com but I think it's the one I want) around melancholic circumstances.

As for being maudlin, does it get any worse than having your own "introspective" iTunes mix?

Here are a few:

Lost - The Badloves
Crucify - Tori Amos
Broken Machine - Steve Lukather
Be My Number Two - Joe Jackson
On The Turning Away - Pink Floyd
And So It Goes - Billy Joel (poignant piano and a very revelaing account of his life at the time)
I Shall Believe - Sheryl Crow
How The Heart Behaves - Was (not Was)
Blue Day - Mi-Sex (heard this as a kid, but did not realise until I heard it many years later that it was about depression)
New York Minute - Don Henley
America - S&G (love the line "Cathy I'm lost I said though I knew she was sleeping")
Bridge - S&G (got to have some hope there)
Someday We'll Know - New Radicals
Con Te Partiro - Andrea Bocelli
Vivere - Andrea Bocelli (I love these lyrics ... but it is also very slickly produced in a Power Ballad style, so I'm sure it's not for everyone )

Side note : I had to learn a Nick Cave song for the funeral of a friend in the early 90s and it always brings me down when I hear it. (I think it was called "The Ship Song", but I can't recall exactly ... ashamed to admit that I do not own any of his music. )
¡Damned!

2005-12-29, 18:32

Sacrilege! 'The Ship Song' is off of The Good Son, one of Cave's finest and most depressing albums.

The man is an absolute God.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-12-29, 18:36

Yeah, a Melbournite too ... in fact, I used to teach at his old school.

I'll withdraw some $ in the New Year and go and buy some of those plastic round thingys with the booklets, then rip them before I head back. Thanks for the reference though 709.
SKMDC

2005-12-29, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
RE: BOYS OF SUMMERSKMDC - Heart of the Matter is an excellent song. I actually find the spirit of the message to be uplifiting even though it is couched (? - I can't find this word on dictionary.com but I think it's the one I want) around melancholic circumstances.

As for being maudlin, does it get any worse than having your own "introspective" iTunes mix?
re: heart of the matter, yeah you are exactly right, but it's like 'round here (the counting crows tune I mentioned earlier) it's a matter of perspective, for me it was all wasted time I spent churning up inside over a relationship, when I heard the song I was "yeah right! let it go!" I felt better but still sad for all that I put us through. (edit: I should say all she put me through......bitch!)

speaking of sad iMixes, you ever counted the posthumous iMixes? jesus there are hundreds, I think some do it as sport, you know......."these are the songs my little johnny listened to while he worked the fields, before he fell into the combine. that is."
stuff like that.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-29, 19:12

Some great songs have been mentioned, thanks!

Pscates, I really like "Pancho and Lefty" but you guessed it, the rendition done by Roger Clyne hits me the best.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-29, 22:21

Speaking of "Boys of Summer", there is a neat version by some band called The Ataris that I bought on iTMS a year or so ago.

I was in Target one day and they were playing music videos on the big bank of TVs back in their TV/stereo/electronics section, and this one came on.

It's fairly faithful - melody, hook and song-wise - to the Henley original. It's simply a tad faster and done with more powerful, rocking guitars (reminds me of Foo Fighters or the Offspring...that "crunch pop" sound: heavy, but melodic and hummable).

See what you think. It maintains all the hooks and melodies, and that main synth riff is on an overdriven guitar. Even the break in the middle is done like the Henley version (that muted, plucking pattern).

It's quite a bit different from the version we all know...but, to me, it works. Sentiments and all are still there.