Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 3
Page 2 of 13 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-03-21, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well, it's the snob in me that prefers to keep choice out of the hands of the disgusting rabble and riff-raff who don't own iPhones. I've been outed/figured out, so I have to start copping to this stuff.

Damn straight. Friggin unwashed heathens, the lot of 'em.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-03-21, 16:28

I've been tempted to buy an iPad 2. But other than the web-cam and fancy cover it's really not that much of an upgrade over my original iPad. For $500 more I could get a MacBook Air with OS X. Given the availability issues, I think I'm just going to wait until next year. And if I'm inspired, I'll get an MBA when I'm in the States next month.

* What I would like most is not a file system, but access to my files with robust synching (i.e. system-level, not by app) across all my OS X and iOS devices (and Windows for those who bother). It works for e-mail. Why the hell hasn't Apple already done this for files?
* I've been paying for MobileMe ever since it stopped being free. Time for Apple finally to deliver on dot-Mac's potential!
* I would like a built-in SD card slot. While the camera kit works fine, it ruins the simplicity of the iPad. Dongles are so 1990's!
* iPhoto on iPad 3 would do more for me than iMovie or GarageBand. Maybe I'm too traditional, but I only do still photography. I couldn't care less about making movies or making my own music on my mobile devices. iPod and a piano are good enough for me.
* One last point. Why the hell are iChat and FaceTime two separate applications?!?

Quote:
I have PS Express on my iPhone, but on an iPad, with the bigger screen and all (and knowing the other two key iLife apps have made it over to iOS) I'd prefer a nice homegrown solution from Apple - either pre-installed or another $4.99 optional purchase - that mirrored the basic iPhoto tools.
Paul: Check out this recent article on DPReview.com, Apple iPad 2 - Tool or Toy? I think a built-in SD card slot would make the iPad's photo potential a lot more obvious and tangible.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2011-03-21, 18:39

After reading the WSJ today about all the shortages coming out of Japan I am beginning to wonder is there will be a iPad 3 this year before Xmas. Note sure how many of the components are made in Japan but other tech firms (notably TI) have already indicated it is that this is going to be a problem for them.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-22, 04:56

Quote:
Seriously, it would be neat if there was some sort of hybrid 3G thingie that would do both AT&T and Verizon. That would immediately cut the offerings in half, right?
Needheck your maths there Paul There's currently WiFi, GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (Verizon). So cutting one of three varieties will cut the offerings by a third.

It's definitely possible though. I was kinda expecting the iPad 2 to have a hybrid chip and I'm still quasi-expecting the iPhone 5 to as well.

Quote:
I guess the ultimate goal, someday, would be the hybrid thing included in every iPad.
Considering it's currently $130 for one wireless standard (plus GPS) to be included, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for two when I don't want either. I just really don't see the point when you have a wireless hotspot in your pocket if you have an iPhone 4 onwards with iOS 4.3. With a WiFi network at home and a WiFi hotspot in your pocket, would you really want to pay for a 3G iPad and another wireless data subscription? I had no interest in getting a 3G model when I bought an iPad, and now, with the Personal Hotspot feature the appeal has gone from next-to-nothing to nothing-at-all.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-22, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Retina Display: If there is one aspect of the iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 that people seem to be really pleased with, it is the screen sharpness. A retina display on the iPad would be an incredible advancement that competitors will struggle to match, and that will give the iPad the sharpest, most advanced screen available. However, the power draw and video processing for such a screen may have a negative affect on performance as well as battery life, and possibly cost. But the offset in terms of super-rich media content and resolution independence make the retina display a game changer, no matter what product it lands in.
Great point, I hadn't thought about the resource-draining nature of a Retina Display when that 'iPad shifting to a September release cycle' rumour went around. They're probably better off waiting until iPad 3 to release the Retina Display, rather than doing a 2.5 release to bring out the Retina Display as I speculated they might.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-22, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
After reading the WSJ today about all the shortages coming out of Japan I am beginning to wonder is there will be a iPad 3 this year before Xmas. Note sure how many of the components are made in Japan but other tech firms (notably TI) have already indicated it is that this is going to be a problem for them.
You know, the one thing that caught me was an article on this very same subject, but involving Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. Apparently, these guys make a resin that is used in logic board assembly. They are one of the world's primary manufacturers of the stuff, and their entire plant was shut down due to the earthquake. It appears that Apple is one of their primary customers, as Apple uses their resin in the manufacture of all types of logic boards. Short side of the story: this thing could affect a whole lot more than iPads!

Don't recall the link, sorry.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-03-22, 11:24

I believe that Apple is working feverishly hard on the next iPad as we speak (and were working on it prior to iPad 2 even being announced), but they'd probably be horrified by this thread since the iPad 2 is still not in the hands of everyone who has ordered it. But still, I enjoy these sorts of topics, since we love this stuff and want to prognosticate and hope out loud about the future of computing.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2011-04-13, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Great point, I hadn't thought about the resource-draining nature of a Retina Display when that 'iPad shifting to a September release cycle' rumour went around. They're probably better off waiting until iPad 3 to release the Retina Display, rather than doing a 2.5 release to bring out the Retina Display as I speculated they might.
Would it be possible to have a retina display with a switchable resolution which would save power in the low resolution mode? I am asking because I have absolutely no idea whether such a thing could be done and if so, whether it would even make sense ... techies to the rescue, please
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-04-13, 14:56

I'm no expert on LCD panels, but I believe kscherer is right: the problem with a retina display is both the horsepower to drive it, and increased power consumption to operate it (in addition to potentially higher power consumption from the GPU).

Having a low power mode would only help with the horsepower issue, I'd think. The backlight still has to push light through the same number of physical pixels. IIRC, higher resolution displays require brighter backlights, which require more power.

This is all IMHO, IIRC, and AFAIK. :-)
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-04-14, 03:28

I wouldn't complain if they had to make it slightly thicker again to pack in more batteries
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-09-10, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gruber
Which is not to say we won’t get a real iPad “pro” next year when the iPad expands into a family of two or even three devices, good/better- or good/better/best-style.
Time to resurrect this thread, I think. Gruber has a tendency to drop hints at future announcements in footnotes to his articles. In his most recent, he included this gem. He basically said, "Next year, the iPad will expand into a family of two or three devices, one of which may be an iPad pro."

Most of the software complains about iOS will be addressed by iOS 5. What hardware enhancements could the iPad 3 bring? All I can think of is a Retina display, faster performance, thinner and lighter, and longer battery life. Honestly, that's not a whole lot for Apple to use to get people excited. That's as much a testament to the strength of the current iPad as anything.

Does this mean Apple might consider a price drop? Say, a non-Retina, thinner and lighter A5 iPad 3 at $399 and $499, and a Retina A6 iPad 3 at $599 and $699?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-09-12, 13:15

I don't buy the idea of multiple current generation iPads. Apple has a hard enough time keeping up with demand with one line of products. Plus, they haven't done this with iPhones and I think the iPhone model has been working successfully with iPads.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-09-12, 13:31

And what features would such an iPad Pro have? More than the current iPad to be sure. But then why not just do with the iPad as with the iPhones and keep the old model in production at a lower price.

It's more likely that all the MacBooks will adopt the Air design and merge into one line over time.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2011-09-12, 22:05

I think every iPad 3 will have 3G access via a universal CDMA/GSM/LTE chip. This is in preparation for the inevitable shared family data plans where every 3G device can be added to the plan.

omgwtfbbq
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-09-12, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
This is in preparation for the inevitable shared family data plans where every 3G device can be added to the plan.
Really? Inevitable? That sounds like pretty much the last thing the providers would wanna do...
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-09-13, 08:34

^I believe both Verizon and AT&T's CEOs have spoken out in favor of such plans.

Right now, Verizon charges $30 for 2GB or $80 for 10GB. A shared plan with 8GB for $80 would probably be a decent deal for both Verizon and the consumer.

Now that I have my unlimited data plans with Verizon it will take me a lot to get off of them. I normally use about 3GB, and my mother, for whom I purchased an iPhone 4, uses 7GB (I have no idea how, but she's on it constantly).
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-01, 21:03

Am I missing something or have the iPad 3 rumors really died down lately? I don't recall reading anything about the next generation iPad since the rumors of upgraded screens... With the the lack of rumors, and the delayed iPhone announcement this year I can't imagine an iPad refresh happening before the holidays - does everyone agree?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2011-10-01, 21:18

With the lack of competition, the need to release an iPad 3 this year is not likely.
Besides, the iPad 2 is still selling well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-02, 09:59

I agree. Who's breathing down Apple's neck at the moment, forcing them to respond or "step up"? How many "iPad killers" have we seen come and go?

Even this Kindle Fire, which isn't a direct competitor anyway and is mostly a consumption device (the thing all the dumbasses used to say, or still do, about the iPad), it's not out until mid/late-November.

As nice as it may be, I dint think it's going to put a real dent into the iPad. And that's the o ly thing I see even remotely standing a shot at doing so. And it's not because of the hardware or specs, but because of the ties to Amazon and content for the thing.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-08, 18:56

If anything, I could see Apple not updating the iPad until WWDC, a shocking three months later than "scheduled." I Don't Like John Gruber But I Think He's Right Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
April is four months into the new year, but still feels like “early” in the year. That leads to whispers and rumors during the holiday season that people should wait.
March is even earlier in the year. June seems about right.

I don't think Apple will introduce a new iPhone at WWDC, although I guess that's possible. But at the same time they'll have less software to talk about than they did this year, since iCloud won't be new and I don't think it'll be time to show off 10.8 yet. That leaves a keynote for iOS 6. I guess they could introduce new Macs, but let's be real, WWDC is pretty much an iOS conference now.

I think announcing the iPad 3 at WWDC makes a lot of sense. It would "free up" the spring to announce new MacBooks and iMacs (and maybe iLife '12?) as Ivy Bridge becomes available. In past years, Apple released iPads in Q1/Q2, iPhones in Q2/Q3, and new Macs in Q4. I think it makes a lot of sense to dial each of those a quarter or so forward, putting the iPhone in the best position for the holidays and releasing their least important products, which are (sorry) Macs, in the spring.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-10-08, 20:32

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the iPad launch pushed back to June. Given that the iPad and iPhone run on the same OS, and both devices and the OS are updated annually, it seems a bit strange to have the iPad launch so distant from it's own OS updates. This year's iPad has been running last year's OS for half a year now. There's nothing wrong with that per se—there's nothing saying the hardware and software have to be launched at the same time—but it's not what we're used to.

But the other problem is that the new iPhone is using technology that's already been available for half a year. It doesn't feel quite as cutting edge this way — especially for those who bought an iPhone 4 post-iPad release but pre-iPhone 4S. The best phone in the world didn't contain the latest chip for a good half a year.

On the other hand, in response to, your quote from Gruber re the holiday season, here's a much more recent one, which while not discounting your quote, at least mitigates it to some degree:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gruber
The iPhone is now a mass market product. It is of course used by many gadget and technology enthusiasts, but gone are the years when iPhone sales tapered off in the quarter preceding a new iPhone. In 2008 and 2009, the iPhone audience was still a tech-enthusiast audience. Now, in 2011, the iPhone 4 remained the best-selling smartphone in the world right up until the 4S was announced. I wouldn’t be surprised if the iPhone 4 continues to sell well today.
While tech enthusiasts like you and I will hold out a few months for the next big upgrade, the mass market doesn't really care that much. They'll just buy it when they want it. A rumour that a new model will be out in a few months that will be a little bit faster and come with a kitchen sink built in won't really phase them when doing their christmas shopping. They seem to think that iDevices are constantly updated anyway so there's no point in holding out because there's always going to be another update later anyway.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-09, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
But the other problem is that the new iPhone is using technology that's already been available for half a year. It doesn't feel quite as cutting edge this way
Keep in mind that, so far, the iPhone has always used slower-clocked processors than its iPod touch or iPad brethren. In that sense, it always lags behind anyways, presumably due to space/heat constraints. It's possibly that they want to keep this distance just so they have a chance to shrink the processor in between, so the technological gap isn't as large.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-10-09, 05:33

Possibly/probably, although last year's lag was months less.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-09, 14:50

Quote:
I agree. Who's breathing down Apple's neck at the moment, forcing them to respond or "step up"? How many "iPad killers" have we seen come and go?

Even this Kindle Fire, which isn't a direct competitor anyway and is mostly a consumption device (the thing all the dumbasses used to say, or still do, about the iPad), it's not out until mid/late-November.

As nice as it may be, I dint think it's going to put a real dent into the iPad. And that's the o ly thing I see even remotely standing a shot at doing so. And it's not because of the hardware or specs, but because of the ties to Amazon and content for the thing.
Yeah, something like the Fire doesn't change Apple's calculations at all, since an iPad 3 would "compete" with such a device no better or worse than the current model.

I think also that iOS 5 is going to be a welcome addition for all iPad users and will make it feel like a new device-- particularly if Siri makes the cut at some point. It's really striking how different the tablet scene is from the phone scene. Phones have constant hardware churn as people come off contract, whereas tablets sink or swim on the actual user experience, AKA software. Samsung can talk about how amazingly thin (wonder where they got that) their tablets are, but until and unless Google can figure out how to make a nice tablet experience, and convince developers to right some nice tablet apps, Android tablets are going to remain relatively non-competative (no matter how much Android fans like to believe that any minute now tablets are going to do what phones did).

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 10:15

The real question is whether Apple responds to the Fire by releasing it's own 7" iPad "mini" (say for $249 or $299):

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

My gut tells me they won't, just because they don't typically respond to competition in that way. And it might cut into their margins, anyway. What do you guys think? Is there room "down market" for a $299 iPad 7"? Would that cannabilize iPad 10" sales?

The iPod Touch is $199 for the 8GB version and $299 for the 32 GB version. Funny enough, there's no 16 GB version, but we can guess that would be $249. If Apple did come out with a 16 GB iPad 7", one would have to think it would either be considerably more expensive ($349?) or the iPod Touch price would/should come down a bit. Maybe the final product line looks like:

iPod Touch 16 GB: $199
iPad 7" 16 GB: $299
iPad 10" 16 GB: $499
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 11:25

I don't buy that rumor at all. I saw it this morning, and did this

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 11:29

Quote:
I don't buy that rumor at all. I saw it this morning, and did this

Sure, but specifically, why don't you buy it?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 11:38

There's lots of problems with that (resolution, for instance: make it smaller, and you got yourself yet another class of applications; leave it the same, and assumptions about finger size are straight out of the windows), but the biggest is the false notion that the Kindle Fire competes with the iPad. Does a game console compete with a desktop PC?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Sure, but specifically, why don't you buy it?
I just don't. Steve spoke about the ~7" size not being something they were interested in. I think he made his case (no pun) beautifully. And I believe he gets his way, even as the dearly departed.

And they don't chase/respond to others.

These are two different classes/uses of device. Something will get left-out/dumbed-down, I'm afraid (from Apple's end). I just don't think it's where they want to be. Will the shrinking/screen size alone get it down to this $249-299 price? Or will they have to start throwing things out, and having it be less than an iPad (with compromises and omissions that people have come to know and expect)?

They may not like a muddy, three-size field. One size (iPhone and iPod touch), easily fit in your pocket for on-the-go. Another, larger size (iPad) for a truly different, unique experience. Big enough that it has to be carried/treated like a notebook or folio (no pocket). A clearly-drawn line.

You get into that middle-ground stuff, and it's just barely too big for the pocket, but feels silly to carry around in a dedicated case or sleeve for something no bigger than what it is. It's aggravating, even if it's tough to put your finger on it (again, no pun)...too big to be little/pocketable, too little to be big and media-friendly.

And you pointed out the pricing thing already...where does it comfortably, reasonably fit (and make sense)?

All the above, to varying degrees = my "whys".

They certainly could surprise everyone in 2012 and get into that. But it just seems to run counter to everything they've offered, and said, so far. So it would be a genuine surprise. I don't look for it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
but the biggest is the false notion that the Kindle Fire competes with the iPad. Does a game console compete with a desktop PC?
It's not clear to me that it is a false notion (sales will tell the story there) or that your comparison is appropriate. The Kindle Fire is certainly much more similar to the iPad than a game console is to a PC. I can't really do much computing on my Nintendo Wii. Pretty much everything you can do on an iPad, you can do on a Fire, assuming you are using similar apps. The iPad is definitely upmarket, but only time will tell if that market is completely independent of the market for the Fire.