AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Beer Thread™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Beer Thread™
Page 1 of 9 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-13, 18:58

Well, it's been a long while since we talked about beers. Well, not really. But hey, it's more fun than politics or religions.

So I had this:

This is very great; you could think of it as champagne beer; bubbly flavor with a punch. Love it.

Now, this is quite hard to find at least in my area. I had it once, and would love to have it again.

So, what's any new beers you've discovered? Good old favorites rediscovered?

Of course, if anyone who dares to post cheap swill waters will flogged.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-13, 19:01

As I don't drink beer. I better get the hell out of this thread damn quick..................*shuts door*
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-13, 19:02

Once again I say

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-13, 19:04

Ooh, ooh, ooh! There's a beer thread? Yummy!

Banana is my new best friendish guy!

Woot!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-13, 19:06

Hey, no posting without a beer in here!

tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 19:11

I love these two, however, they're not yet available in New York...

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-13, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Hey, no posting without a beer in here!

You mean like what you just did!

edit: That's cheating, pal!

My favorite:

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-08-13, 19:14

I can't get New Belgium beers in NY! That just kills me. I love all the ones of theirs I've tried.

As for what I do drink, mostly Six Points (a Brooklyn micro - no pic available, since they don't sell by the bottle, only the keg),

Duvel,

Stone IPA,

and my homebrew (no pic), which I've been doing for about a year.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-13, 19:27

Here's one that I always get a kick out of!

And the beer's good, too!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-13, 19:32

Here's one that you have to try to believe. Had it once, and that was enough! Major bitter bear face!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 19:39

Duffman says alot of things, oh yeah!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-08-13, 19:43

A list of 10 American specialty beers. The most recent I've tried was #9 Widmer Hefeweizen, with a twist of lemon, at the ballpark. Yuuummm! So delicious when sitting in the shade on a hot day.

Has anyone tried all ten of these, and if so, which did you like best?

Quote:
The Best American Specialty Beers

With more than 8,000 American beers on tap, there's never been a better time to drink domestic. We tried them all, so you don't have to. Now, let's raise a glass to the winners.

America, you could say, was founded on suds. George Washington brewed a potent porter (making him the first brewmaster general), and the Second Continental Congress guaranteed troops a daily beer ration.

But the state of the nation's beer has never been better than it is today. Some 1,400 breweries, large and small, now produce more than 8,000 different brands.

The only downside to such alcoholic abundance? It's almost impossible to taste them all -- which is where we come in. After consulting an expert panel, we drank enough regional and craft brew to float several battleships, then narrowed the field to 25 paragons of the brewer's art.

If you can't find one at your local bar, you should find a new bar -- or contact a friendly beer distributor that can ship to your state, such as Oregon's Liquid Solutions (liquidsolutions.ws; 503-524-9722) or Brooklyn's Bierkraft (bierkraft.com; 718-230-7600).

1) Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Oregon
(deschutesbrewery.com)
BITTERNESS: Moderate; BODY: Medium; THE BUZZ: It's no surprise that our top beer comes from Oregon -- with 71 craft breweries, the state has become the capital of American microbrewing.

And Mirror Pond, Deschutes Brewery's sublime pale ale, is not only the best beer in the state -- it's the best in the country. The quintessential American pale ale, Mirror Pond elegantly blends the sweetness of malted barley with the bite of hops (which add bitterness and aroma).

It's refreshing, loaded with strong hop flavors, and perfectly balanced. Just a few years ago it was available only in the Pacific Northwest; now it has marched east to the Rockies. Tomorrow, the world! LAST CALL Mirror Pond contains only tangy, Oregon-grown Cascade hops.

2) Victory Prima Pils

Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, Pennsylvania (victorybeer.com)

BITTERNESS: Moderate, BODY: Light, THE BUZZ: Budweiser is a pilsner. So is Victory Prima Pils -- but these beers are about as different as two pilsners can be.

Inspired by pilsner's storied old-world heritage -- the style was first created in the Bohemian town of Pilsen -- Victory's Prima Pils bucks the American pilsner tradition with a serious bit of attitude -- most notably its clean, bitter flavor, which comes from an extra helping of hops (essentially absent from most American pilsners).

Drink Prima Pils ice cold on a hot summer day and you'll see what we mean. Prima, indeed. LAST CALL "The Victory brewmasters are artists, and Prima Pils is a masterpiece," declares Daniel Bradford, president of the Brewers' Association of America.

3) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico, California (sierra-nevada.com)

BITTERNESS: Moderate; BODY: Medium; THE BUZZ: You know this beer -- it's ubiquitous. And we know what you're thinking: "You put it in the top five? Are you guys drunk?" Listen up: Many breweries on this list produce only a few thousand barrels a year; Sierra makes 575,000 barrels of delicious, world-class ale...and that takes a special kind of genius.

It's sweet, spicy, and full-bodied, yet it's light enough that you can knock back more than a few. When you're in a bar and all they have is the usual mass-produced standards, this should be your go-to beer. With Sierra Nevada in the world, there's no excuse to ever drink a bad brew. LAST CALL Sierra, which distributes to all 50 states, is the largest craft brewery in the U.S.

4) Capital Brewery Bavarian Lager

Capital Brewery, Middleton, Wisconsin (capital-brewery.com)

BITTERNESS Mild BODY Medium THE BUZZ The Germans brought golden lager-style beers to the States long ago, and, fortunately for us, there are still a few brewers adhering to the classic recipes.

Capital Brewery's traditional Bavarian lager is rich with the taste of malted barley, and is a refreshing summer sipper -- with virtually no bitter aftertaste. LAST CALL Capital's lager is based on a German style called hell. Note to Mel Gibson: Hell simply means light in German.

5) Anchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing, San Francisco, California (anchorbrewing.com)

BITTERNESS Moderate BODY Medium THE BUZZ This chameleon of a beer -- it literally tastes different sip to sip -- was first brewed more than 100 years ago in California.

Today's brand, resurrected in 1965 -- before most current microbrewers were out of preschool -- owes its cult status to a malty flavor that goes well with everything from pizza to filet mignon. LAST CALL This beer has nothing to do with steam; kegs that bounced and hissed during delivery spawned the nickname.

6) Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Delaware (dogfish.com)

BITTERNESS Extreme BODY Full THE BUZZ Guinness, the most popular stout on the planet, is about 4 percent alcohol -- hey, that's basically light beer!

Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout is 18.8 percent alcohol by volume, which Dogfish claims makes it the "world's strongest dark beer." It's ink black, and somewhat sweet, but don't be fooled: It packs a wallop. And at $8 a bottle, you'll want to drink it slow. LAST CALL "World Wide Stout is so thick you could use it as motor oil," jokes Dogfish president Sam Calagione.

7) Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Company, Cleveland, Ohio (www.greatlakesbrewing.com)

BITTERNESS Extreme BODY Full THE BUZZ Darker than what we think of as ale, but not as heavy as stout, porter has been popular since the 18th century, when it was first brewed in London. The Edmund Fitzgerald has bittersweet chocolate flavors, the ideal foil to heavy foods, like ribs. LAST CALL This porter takes its name from a ship out of Cleveland that sank in 1975 in Lake Superior.

8) Avery the Reverend

Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, Colorado (www.averybrewing.com)

BITTERNESS Moderate BODY Full THE BUZZ Some paths in life are begun early: Avery Brewing Co. founder Adam Avery claims he was weaned with a beer-soaked pacifier. That helps explain his uncanny brewing skill. Avery's finest concoction is the Reverend, a high-octane Belgian-style "quadrupel" made with candy sugar for extra kick. LAST CALL "At 10.2 percent alcohol, it just might give you religion," says Ray Daniels, author of Designing Great Beers.

9) Widmer Hefeweizen

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company, Portland, Oregon (www.widmer.com)

BITTERNESS: Mild; BODY: Medium; THE BUZZ: First, German 101: Hefe means yeast; weizen means wheat. Brewed with wheat and barley, Widmer's American-style hef has a citrusy flavor.

Add a lemon and voilˆ -- Bavarian iced tea, by way of Portland. LAST CALL Unfiltered beers, such as Widmer Hefeweizen, are cloudy because the yeast isn't filtered out.

10) Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Company, Healdsburg, California (bearrepublic.com)

BITTERNESS Extreme BODY Full THE BUZZ India pale ales were invented in the late 1700s, when London brewers used huge amounts of hops (a natural preservative) to help beer withstand the long voyage to far-flung colonies.

Racer 5 is today's uber-IPA, using two different kinds of exceptionally strong, bitter hops. The result has the aroma of a field of freshly cut hay. LAST CALL

"It smells like a sack of weed!" proclaims one of our more discerning critics.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 19:55

I visited San Diego for the first time earlier this year. Can't say that I loved it. I guess I am more a Northern California sort of guy. (Loved being in Napa, Sonoma, and San Francisco the previous year. Southern Cal seemed like one big suburb, mile after endless mile, up the coast.)

But damn if they didn't have some great beer. I put in a big vote for every Stone Brewery product. I think that I tried them all. Wow. They don't seem to export to Canada though, which is unfortunate.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-08-13, 19:58

Quote:
Well, it's been a long while since we talked about beers. Well, not really. But hey, it's more fun than politics or religions.

So I had this:

This is very great; you could think of it as champagne beer; bubbly flavor with a punch. Love it.

Now, this is quite hard to find at least in my area. I had it once, and would love to have it again.

So, what's any new beers you've discovered? Good old favorites rediscovered?

Of course, if anyone who dares to post cheap swill waters will flogged.

I had Hoegaarden last night. I also had Blue Moon, Bud Light, and my fav, PBR
¡Damned!

2007-08-13, 20:11

I've had every one except for #1, #4 and #10. I think I saw #4 on tap this weekend (in Milwaukee) but wasn't in a lager frame of mind. Of all of those listed, it's hard to pick a favorite as they're all very different styles. That said, Sierra Nevada Pale is my house beer (for guests...I usually have something a bit darker for myself). Also, the Dogfish Head is a masterpiece of brewing. Those guys really know how to make beer. My least favorite would be the Widmer (sorry ).

I had a couple of very nice beers from New Glarus this weekend. I'm usually not a fan of brown ales, but the Fat Squirrel was a pleasure to drink. The Spotted Cow was decent as well, but it could have had a bit more hop bite for my taste. The Sheephead Stout at the Milwaukee Ale House was a lovely light stout...I even bought a growler of the stuff...and the Solomon Juneau was a great Pilsner. Water Street Brewery was crap though.

Anyways, yeah. I like beer.

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-08-13, 20:21

I had a few of these on the weekend.

lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2007-08-13, 20:28

http://www.odells.com/beers/cutthroat.php

Heaven, bottled. 90 Shilling or Double Pilsner from Odell's are also great, but Cutthroat is my favorite, bar none.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-08-13, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Here's one that you have to try to believe. Had it once, and that was enough! Major bitter bear face!
Just put any Stone brew on the list. Stone Imperial Russian Stout is another good one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-13, 21:55

Fin Du Monde by Unibrou (I jokingly call it "Uni-brow").
It's a high gravity beer.... you HAVE to try it.... it'll make you POST LIKE ME!!!!

/unpaid endorsement

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-13, 21:57

Love Belgians. Love 'em. Really. I wanna marry them.

I also love a good stout or porter. I actually prefer Murphy's over a Guinness, at least out of the tap.

I love a good pilsner too, though after actually drinking them like a fish in Prague, they don't really travel well (or at all in a lot of cases).

I already have my tickets for this:

The best part? I can just stumble the 3 blocks home afterwards!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-13, 22:08

I love designing beer labels, even intentionally bad ones.... like the one I did for my friend Stu Dodge's straight-to-underground movie "Cheerleader Autopsy"....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 22:17

Hard to believe there's never been a Beer Thread™ before?

Not very original, but if you sampled my blood you'd probably find a few lonely red blood cells floating around in a whole lot of this.

Windswept, I'm glad to see it placed well in your list. Makes me feel like my life is headed in the right direction.

Oh, and how can we have a Beer Thread™ without a poll?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 22:45

I've been getting cans whenever The Beer Store has them but I'll settle for bottles in a pinch. It's totally a low rent beer but it's fucking tasty and it has one of the best logos in the world.

According to Wikipidea Black Label is the most popular lager in the U.K. Is that a fucking joke? I really didn't think anyone drank Black Label outside of poor alcoholic Ontarians. Anyway, it's good and goes down fast. You Nancy's go ahead and enjoy your fancy beers. Me and my Black Label are going to sit in the corner and get shitfaced while laughing at your goofy micro-brews.

Yeah, I've had a few.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-13, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Fin Du Monde by Unibrou (I jokingly call it "Uni-brow").
It's a high gravity beer.... you HAVE to try it.... it'll make you POST LIKE ME!!!!

/unpaid endorsement

Unpaid endorsement?

Hardly.

Something local....
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-08-13, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Has anyone tried all ten of these, and if so, which did you like best?
I've had Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, and Widmer Hefeweizen. Anchor Steam is the darkest of the three, so it's less punchy but has a fuller, more yeasty flavor. Widmer Hefeweizen has that built-in hint of lemon, so I treat it as a seasonal/summer beer.

I think over-all Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the most drinkable in any setting...and it's readily available at pretty much any supermarket.

I like the sweetness of Gordon Biersch Marzen to help wash down heavy, savory meals.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

I. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that shit.

When I got my PhD, my ever-classy family got me a bottle of that.

A frickin' *MAGNUM*.

It lasted less than a weekend.

I'm a total hophead though. I need to find some of their IPA and see if it's appropriately hoppy.

And yeah, Polygamy Porter is pretty damned good - hear about the billboard they put up *IN SLC*? "Bring some home for the wives!" Lasted less than a week.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-13, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Well... I have went out and bought me a Fin Du Monde.... Tonight I shall embark on a journey, to boldly go where Drew has gone before...

Wish me luck. *fizz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
Hard to believe there's never been a Beer Thread™ before?
Actually, there has been. Read my OP.

Quote:
No, you're not thinking big.

EVERYBODY!

Let's stomp the floor and wave our tankards and ask admins here to add a new sub-forum! A forum dedicated to Beerology!

And if they don't like it, send lot and lot of beers to Murbot!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-13, 23:54

Drewprops,

I hereby, on authority *not* vested in me by Brad, confer upon you Brad's seal of Excellence for .Hack!

Wear it with pride, boy.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-14, 01:17

Oddly enough, the beer thread has no poll options.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-14, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Oddly enough, the beer thread has no poll options.
*points to the post above*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
No, you're not thinking big.

EVERYBODY!

Let's stomp the floor and wave our tankards and ask admins here to add a new sub-forum! A forum dedicated to Beerology!

And if they don't like it, send lot and lot of beers to Murbot!
Oh, yeah, a honorable mention: