User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.
Page 2 of 10 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-22, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
IMO XBox's best features are the hard drive (also the possibility to put in a larger one) and network adapter. Good if you run Linux, XBMC or otherwise mod the console. I might still do that if I find a sub-$100 XBox.
Of course I'm talking about a modded xbox. Would you buy a computer from Apple and never upgrade anything on it?

I think it's indisputable that games look better on the xbox. I own a PS2, GameCube, and xbox and while I rarely play any of them I do play the xbox occasionally.

xbox is wonderful that you can mod it so easily, install a larger HD, and rip games to the HD. Do you know what that does for loading time?! Storing and playing movies on the xbox from the HD or disc is even nicer.

I am not a console person. In fact, I dislike them and prefer a mouse and keyboard, but disputing the supremacy of xbox is hard, unless you are that into mario.

I take back my comment about Apple and Nintendo, there is a comparison you can make, they both make machines inferior at gaming
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-11-22, 07:53

I just spotted the ads for the DS in the sunday ads last night before dropping by the boards, so I assume that these things just dropped onto retailers' shelves. I need to scoot out to a Target to check one out to make sure that I like it. Somebody mentioned the Virtual GameBoy as being a flop, which it was, but have you ever played one? Back in '97 I spotted them being sold at fire sale prices when the writing was on the wall for that platform. I scooped one up and bought two or three games. Pretty great 3D experience, but very awkward to play as you have to find a good table/chair setup so you don't break your neck. And the eyestrain must be considered.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-11-22, 08:13

yeah i said they were a flop and i own one. didnt say they were crap, said they were a flop. i personally think its just "different". i wouldnt say its a great 3d expereience since its just red and black, plus it makes me dizzy but its good to have in a collection.

i found a shop in kuwait btw that still has BRAND NEW BOXED first generation NTSC SNES systems and he is selling them for only $60! will be getting one to replace my colorfucked snes.

last year i found a shop selling a brand new neogeo for $180. Also got a Brand New 3DO for 60$. Only thing i am having a hard time finding is a excellent condition Philips CDi.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-22, 09:58

Speaking of video game systems that failed, has anyone here owned a Dreamcast? Those things were awesome! It's such a shame that Sony overhyping the PS2 killed the Dreamcast... PS2 seems like a really disappointing console to me, while the Dreamcast had better graphics AND cooler features. And it was out something like two years before the PS2! I'm thinking of getting one on eBay - they're only about $50 now.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Speaking of video game systems that failed, has anyone here owned a Dreamcast? Those things were awesome! It's such a shame that Sony overhyping the PS2 killed the Dreamcast... PS2 seems like a really disappointing console to me, while the Dreamcast had better graphics AND cooler features. And it was out something like two years before the PS2! I'm thinking of getting one on eBay - they're only about $50 now.
I know a couple Dreamcast users. They swear by their dreamcasts....but still mostly play PS2 and/or GC these days.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-22, 10:57

Dreamcast was an impressive system. Especially noting the time it came out before PS2. Soul Caliber on that was amazing at the time!

I always liked Atari's Jaguar though too.

Anyone here ever owned a SEGA saturn? Now that is a system that bombed.
autodata
hustlin

2004-11-22, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i found a shop in kuwait btw that still has BRAND NEW BOXED first generation NTSC SNES systems and he is selling them for only $60! will be getting one to replace my colorfucked snes.
You really should scoop that up, especially if you have a few games for it. There are some snes games I really wish I could play.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-11-22, 12:51

Bit of trivia for you..

The Dreamcast was actually going to be a VR console originally.
I actually went to SEGA to teach them about VR and ended up putting an Arcade Game called TechWar together for them.

The VR aspect of Dreamcast was shelved for various reasons.. but if it had come off it would have been quite awesome...

We had dual LCD Head Mounted Displays and tracking systems when we were working on the prototypes..

Imagine HALO in that!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
usurp

2004-11-22, 14:01

yeah i am getting the SNES, i got tons of games for it here from Killer Instinct and the Mortal Kombat series, to NBA Jam, mario kart and more.

i love the dreamcast, this was definetly the coolest system ever. came with a built in modem, and i got a keyboard and mouse for it and i could connect online from my living room and there was this one site called booyaka.com which allowed me to download saves of games directly onto my memory card. that was soo cool and i havent seen any other system do that. the graphics were just the greatest and the dreamcast was where many cool games were born. last month i ordered the fishing rod from ebay, brand new boxed with 2 new games for 15$.. a steal! and now i fish my heart out

the sega saturn was not bad, i got it so i could pla sega rally and daytona. but both werent arcade quality sadly.

the atari jaguar i have i bought used off ebay and it stopped working after the first time. need to get another one. i saw a really cool set for sale, the Atari Jaguar, with the CD addon plus tons of games, boxed.. for a couple of hundred bucks. too expensive for me :S

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 14:04

Oh man, I love SNES, that's my favorite system of all time. Donkey Kong country, Super mario world(favorite game ever), UN squadron, Super Street fighter, Final Fantasy and Chrono trigger, Killer Instinct(one of the better fighting games around) Stunt Race FX, Super metroid... to name a few

That was some good stuff.
Akumulator

2004-11-22, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Killer Instinct(one of the better fighting games around)
That game is the only reason why I bought a SNES. I used to dump way too many quarters in the arcade for that game. Remember the ad in the arcade version for the N64? Actually, it was going to be called something else.. I forget.

Edit: It was Ultra 64

Last edited by Akumulator : 2004-11-22 at 19:59.
Mass Appeal

2004-11-22, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Speaking of video game systems that failed, has anyone here owned a Dreamcast?
The Dreamcast is my all time favorite system. A buddy of mine bought one when it first came out and we played it just about everyday. Do to limited funds I waited till it droped to $50 and bought 4 controllers and burned a fuck load of games. Best system deal ever.

I tried out the DS at EB today and was not impressed. Metroid is the nicest game I've played on a handheld but going from the pad controls to the touch screen felt awkward. I'm waiting for the PSP to hit to make up my mind as to which one I should buy. My guess is the larger single screen and more advanced graphics capability will win me over but I'm worried about how durable the PSP is after hearing from so many people about their PS2 dying or having major system glitches.

P.S. USURP : I loved the Genesis, first system I owned. I used to argue it's merits over the SNES with friends all the time. Sonic > Mario :smokey:
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-11-22, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Somebody mentioned the Virtual GameBoy as being a flop, which it was, but have you ever played one? Back in '97 I spotted them being sold at fire sale prices when the writing was on the wall for that platform. I scooped one up and bought two or three games. Pretty great 3D experience, but very awkward to play as you have to find a good table/chair setup so you don't break your neck. And the eyestrain must be considered.
I also got me a Virtual Boy (also in '97 when retailers just wanted them to disappear), and the best way to play it was by laying down with the unit sitting on my face.

um...

But, yeah, Red Alarm was pretty wild like that.

I don't think that graphics are that big of a deal on a small screen -- otherwise the original Gameboy would have disappeared a long time ago. I expect the DS to do well.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-22, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Edit: It was Ultra 64
It was Project Reality first. Then it was Nintendo 64. Nintendo Ultra 64 was going to be the US name, but they axed that eventually. It was also the first I ever heard of Rambus.
applenut
BANNED

2004-11-22, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
It was Project Reality first. Then it was Nintendo 64. Nintendo Ultra 64 was going to be the US name, but they axed that eventually. It was also the first I ever heard of Rambus.
yes, but the arcade games had Nintendo Ultra 64 logos. I remember playing Crusin' USA and seeing that.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-11-22, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
yes, but the arcade games had Nintendo Ultra 64 logos. I remember playing Crusin' USA and seeing that.
That was because they were released when the N64 was still going to be called "Ultra 64". Nintendo wanted to get the "Ultra 64" name out in public while it was the name they were planning. No other reason.
usurp

2004-11-23, 00:14

Mass Appeal, i didnt like the Genesis, i was on the SNES team. Mario vs Sonic, Sonic would win but SNES vs Genesis... SNES easily wins. Genesis had crappy graphics, 3 button controller that were flimsy and no zelda, super metroid, donkey kong or mario kart. i dont know how you genesis people couldnt see the difference, you were all in denial

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-23, 00:23

The DS has amazing wireless capabilities.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-11-23, 00:28

Unfortunately the official DS site makes you bend over backwards to learn about the machine's wireless capabilities. Their webdesign team's bosses are totally stuck in 2002 skip-intro mode. Bah.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Akumulator

2004-11-23, 02:41

Quote:
Mass Appeal, i didnt like the Genesis, i was on the SNES team. Mario vs Sonic, Sonic would win but SNES vs Genesis... SNES easily wins. Genesis had crappy graphics, 3 button controller that were flimsy and no zelda, super metroid, donkey kong or mario kart. i dont know how you genesis people couldnt see the difference, you were all in denial
I had both, and I'd have to confess that I think in the end..as far as total play time, my genesis beat out my Snes. But that's just me.

I'm not biased towarads either the Nintendo DS or the PSP, but I do think the PSP will be the overall better portable system. In the end, I'll probably end up buying both of them.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-23, 03:33

It's weird, I remember when I was a kid, video game systems was always and either/or situation. like, I had SNES and only SNES, my friends had Genesis and only Genesis or SNES and only SNES, but there was always that one kid who not only had SNES AND Genesis, but he had like every game to boot, well, we just hung out at his house a lot.

But like, now a days, it seems like everyone inevitably has a PS2 and a GC or XBOX, and an ever growing number of people seem to have all three. There are even those who have all three AND a dreamcast, and still use their N64s and Playstations.

It's crazy how the market has changed, but I guess it's probably always been like that, just as a kid you feel fortunate to have one, let alone all of them, but as a young adult with some income you feel more inclined to splurge.

I dunno, video games...lalala
Akumulator

2004-11-23, 04:00

Yeah, Wrao... other than myself and my neighbor, I actually don't personally know anyone else who bought the Genesis over SNES. In fact, as far as I know, I'm the only one who ever bought the Sega CD. What a fool I was.
Milkman

Send a message via ICQ to Milkman Send a message via AIM to Milkman  
2004-11-23, 04:58

I don't think it will. Nintendo is doing some very clever things with the touch pad part. And developers seem to be doing some interesting controls for games with it.

Check this out

It is a little flash demo of the DS touch screen. 8 megs.

But I also think the PSP will give Nintendo something to worry about. I know I'll get both.

I still miss my Nomad
usurp

2004-11-23, 06:29

when i was a kid i always wanted a Genesis but my parents wouldnt let me have both. now since i work and make my more money i get what i want

Mass Appeal

2004-11-23, 08:29

Quote:
...3 button controller that were flimsy and no zelda, super metroid, donkey kong or mario kart.
True, the original controller did suck a little but I bought a six button joy-stick pad for $20 and used that for every game. As for games they were equall. I think the SNES dominated over RPGs and Genesis over Sports. Remember, for every Metroid there was a NHL '94. Also, what was great about the console wars was that I could go to my buddy's house to play his SNES and l listen to him brag about whatever new game he had but the next day he would do the same at my house. It was a win/win situation.

Last edited by Mass Appeal : 2004-11-23 at 10:12.
usurp

2004-11-23, 08:46

yeah NHL '94 kicked ass, used to love the one timers back then.

But then again we also had Stanley Cup which was really cool except for this crappy bug.. there was this one place in the ring if you shot from it you would always score. I would play against the AI and win with a score like 40 to 2 or something.

What was cool about the Genesis though was you could add the Sega CD and later on the 32x. I remember i wanted a 32x and Genesis soo bad when Virtual Racing got released. Now when i look at the game it looks soo crap, but then i remember that this was actually one of the first 3D racers to hit the arcades. How times have changed.

BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-11-23, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
Check this out

It is a little flash demo of the DS touch screen. 8 megs.
Wow, that's wild. The brief shot of the stylus manipulating the woman is, um, intriguing... or something.. lol

One of my coworkers brought his in today, with Madden as his only game so far. It moves well, it looks like the N64 stuff, only it seems even nicer. The touch screen is great.

Quote:
Now when i look at [Virtua Racing] it looks soo crap, but then i remember that this was actually one of the first 3D racers to hit the arcades. How times have changed.
I was at my local arcade the day that thing got set up, and a bunch of quarters later, I finally finished in first place. That sucker blew my mind, it was so much smoother than Atari's Stunt Driver games. There was another Atari 3-D shooter that I had a lot of fun playing, where you were on this hoverbike thing that flew through tunnels and stuff.

But Virtua Racing was fast, smooth, and actually had reasonable vehicle physics. No prior 3-D racing game had all of those qualities.
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-23, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
But Virtua Racing was fast, smooth, and actually had reasonable vehicle physics. No prior 3-D racing game had all of those qualities.
Heh... I worked on that one too..... Ahh memories of Haneda and the Sega office.... Playing Daytona and Virtua Racing on 16 deluxe sit down cabinets in GP mode!! 2 hours for a single game and 16 people racing! Mental!

Not many people know that the game has loads of extras like Tire Wear and engine problems in the extended GP mode..... Really cool set up like that but not very profitable for arcades!

btw Does anyone remember that consol... Totally flopped... but was CD based... out just before the the PS2... I remember a great street bike race game for it where you kicked the shit out of people... could get knocked off the bike... run around with a baseball bat and had to slug your way down the street to pick your bike up again and carry on racing...

I bought it in Tokyo... simply for that game around the time we started work on Daytona.... But cannot remember the game name or the consol game... Brain fried! Obviously! :smokey:

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Axl

2004-11-23, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
btw Does anyone remember that consol... Totally flopped... but was CD based... out just before the the PS2... I remember a great street bike race game for it where you kicked the shit out of people... could get knocked off the bike... run around with a baseball bat and had to slug your way down the street to pick your bike up again and carry on racing...
I think you're talking about the 3DO. Other ill-fated systems include the Jaguar and one console by Philips which had a crappy Zelda game.
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-23, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
I think you're talking about the 3DO. Other ill-fated systems include the Jaguar and one console by Philips which had a crappy Zelda game.
That's it. Thanks... The 3D0... But it was actually a really nice system, as was the Jaguar.

I remember Jeff Minter (Mutant Camels fame / infamy) and I sat and played with one. He was so hyper about porting psychadelia accross to it....

What was the name of the bike game?