Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Switcher help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Switcher help
Nico_from_Paris

2004-10-07, 15:08

Dear all !

As I wrote earlier on one of these threads, I m the happy owner of an iMac G5 20" and I finnaly switched from the Wintel world.

Some questions :

1) is it possible to stop the "Gong" sound when the iMac is switched on ?
2) is it possible to have Mail or Safari automatically launch the internet connexion when they are opened ?
3) I have saved the web pages favorites I had in the wintel world for IE. Is there a way to import them (all at onece since i have hundred of them well-organised in folders and sub-folders) in Safari ?

Many thanks !
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-07, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_from_Paris
1) is it possible to stop the "Gong" sound when the iMac is switched on ?
2) is it possible to have Mail or Safari automatically launch the internet connexion when they are opened ?
3) I have saved the web pages favorites I had in the wintel world for IE. Is there a way to import them (all at onece since i have hundred of them well-organised in folders and sub-folders) in Safari ?
1. No. The "gong" is hardwired into the logic board. You can mute the machine before you turn it off or restart every time, that may do it.

2. I don't know about launching internet connections, I assume you have to connect somehow? You can have the applications launch automatically however. Go into "System Preferences", accounts, startup items, and click the + sign in the lower left of the window and select Safari, do it again and select Mail.

3. If the bookmarks are still on your wintel machine, transfer them to your Mac (e mail, jump drive, CD-R, network...) but I can't seem to remember how to finish the procedure. I'll get back to you.

Come waste your time with me
iDaver

2004-10-07, 23:15

There's a Startup Sound prefPane here which lets you reduce the volume of or turn off your startup sound. I've been using it for a month or so and it seems to work with no problems under 10.3.5.

Congrats on your new Mac!
Nico_from_Paris

2004-10-09, 08:30

Thanks to both of you.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-10-09, 09:40

Do you have DHCP or PPPoE for your internet? If you have DHCP it should connect automatically(mine does), but for PPPoE you have to add the Internet Connect app to the startup items list, IIRC. I haven't used PPPoE for a year now.
Nico_from_Paris

2004-10-10, 11:12

I have added the internet connect app to the start up items and it works fine.
The only problem is when I have the iMac go to sleep instead of having him switched off.
My internet provider has given me an usb ADSL modem which is powered by the iMac. When my precious goes to sleep the usb modem is not powered any longer and when the session is active again the modem refuses to connect any more. only solution : iMac power off and on again/

any idea

iMacG5 20" 1stGen 1.8 GHz- 2Go - OSX 10.5.2 - iLife'08 - iWork'08
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-10-10, 12:06

Ask your ISP for an ethernet modem?
Nico_from_Paris

2004-10-10, 13:33

Yep Mcq. That is why I must admit I secretly wished my provider would have been unable to send me updated drivers for my usb modem. That would have given me an excuse to buy a new Ethernet ADSL modem (provider refuses to send a free one). My wife is rather reluctant to see me buy new stuff arounds the iMac (i told her it would cost nothing to switch except the iMAc, ok ok ok I lied a bit)

iMacG5 20" 1stGen 1.8 GHz- 2Go - OSX 10.5.2 - iLife'08 - iWork'08
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-10, 13:48

you could just put the display to sleep, keep the computer active. would save energy from the LCD, and wouldn't make much noise if any.

modem would never get horked up that way either.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me