Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Buying a new USB-to-Lightning cable...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying a new USB-to-Lightning cable...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-26, 19:28

My bedside white Apple USB-to-Lightning cable that I've used for years and years has become frayed. I don't wanna get zapped or risk any sort of fire hazard, etc. I wrapped the affected wire (near the lightning port) with some electrical tape the other day, but I need to replace it.

I'm not nuts about dropping $19 on the Apple one for something I don't even use every day.

What do I need to look for in the way of third-party, cheaper-than-Apple versions?

I saw black-colored one at Walmart this afternoon and it was $5.88. It had the "Made for iPhone" badging on the box. I don't recall the name.

I know I shouldn't be looking at those $2 no-name things at the corner Stop 'n' Rob, but is the general rule of thumb stuff with that "made for iPhone" badging on it "safe" and of a certain quality/reliability? If so, I'll snag that one I saw tomorrow this week. It was a 3-footer, which is all I need.

Or is $5.88 itself a red flag, regardless of the Apple-friendly badging? Surely there are quality, safe USB-to-Lightning chargers out there for $10 or less that won't burn my house down?

I literally have never bought one of these, third-party, because I bought two additional Apple ones back in the day, with my iPhone 5 (fall of 2012) and they've lasted me all these years until this bedside one became frayed.

Feel free to throw any recommendations/links my way, or tell me if there's a brand that you know is carried by Walmart, Best Buy or Target that I can just go pick up this week, locally. $10 or less and, if I had my choice, it would be white. But that's not carved in aluminum...neon green, braided silver, etc. I don't care, as long as its well-made and reasonably-priced.

I found this one...thoughts?

They have a lot of this brand a Walmart.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-26 at 19:40.
¡Damned!

2021-12-26, 19:59

I'm a fan of the Anker brand. We have dozens, and the braid is nice and sturdy.

Cheaper than Apple kit, more reliable than most others.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-26, 20:04

I second Anker as my first stop when searching for third party alternatives.

After reading about the ability for cables to be hacked I've been paying the Apple Tax more frequently for cables.

This brave new world doesn't have bumper rails to protect us.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-26, 20:37

Yeah, that's the thing about Apple's pricing...I hate it, but I always feel okay - and never worry - about what I'm getting. But I'll look at that Anker stuff. I need to pick something up this week, ASAP. I need to ditch the one in my bedroom tonight, right now. It just looks like it wants to kill me as I sleep...

EDIT: I just now cut it into 5-6 pieces with some scissors, so I can't use it and risk something happening. Amazing how it was perfect for nine-plus years, and only recently - within the past two weeks or so - seemed to pull apart/fray.

I'm kinda eyeing this certain black kittycat I know, wondering if he had anything to do with that.

I'm down to one functioning USB-to-Lightning cable now, and it's connected to my MacBook. But that's okay for the moment. I'll snag another very soon (as in "by Tuesday afternoon/evening" soon).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-26, 22:18

I just stick to the Apple ones, they last more than long enough for the money.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-27, 03:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
My bedside white Apple USB-to-Lightning cable that I've used for years and years has become frayed.
I can never get Apple's Lightning cables to last particularly long. Nine-plus years sounds pretty good to me.

I bought Anker cables a while ago, and they have a sturdier feel (yet flexible enough).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-27, 04:39

Oh yeah, I’m not squawking one bit. They’ve been perfect for a long, long time.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-27, 09:57

I have had special case needs that Apple cables could not satisfy, chiefly longer cables. I have a treasured 10 foot long braided cable from Amazon that allowed me to use the phone at a location lacking a convenient receptacle.

Edit: AND IT'S RED!!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-27, 10:47

Yeah, I see some third-party 6’ and 10’ cables out there. That this is on/for my nightstand for overnight charging (or occasional mid-day topping off), I’m good with the ~3’. I don’t like using my iPhone while attached because every time I do, I somehow forget and I go to move or change positions and either the cable gets yanked out at a weird angle or, worse, the cable stays intact and the phone goes flying out of my hand. I hate that whole experience.

I’ll stick to my shorties and use my phone untethered as much as possible, even with this less-than battery life (which ain’t gonna be an issue much longer). Come on, 2022 SE update!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-27 at 10:58.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-27, 14:35

One more vote for Anker here.

Cheaper, better quality, and in more varieties than Apple's own. My wife and I have been using several of them in different places for years (home, office, cars).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-12-27, 19:35

Another vote for Anker. I have a few of the USB to Lightning cables with red cloth braiding and they've held up great (even against the occasional nibble from the cats).

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-27, 20:19

Oh yeah? Because that's a thing here.

🐈‍⬛
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-12-27, 22:46

Anker or Monoprice are my recs. I've had several braided Monoprice ones that have lasted 3+ years.