Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Firefox 8 is JACKED UP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Firefox 8 is JACKED UP
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-08, 23:31

Yeah, yeah, I know, you love Chrome-fari-pera, but {clapping hands together in front of your face} we're talking about Firefox.

Now listen.

I don't know the technical term for it, but Firefox isn't "repainting" the screen properly.
You close a tab? Nothing seems to happen.
Minimize the window and then zoom the window back up and the tab is gone.
Same thing with page scrolls... scroll a bit, nothing.... command-tab away and then back and you'll see that the page HAS been scrolled.

So what's the technical term for what the app isn't doing?
Our IT guy said that he's been seeing it too, so it's a real thing.... (we're both on Snow Leopard, btw).

I switched to the latest stable build of Firefox 9 beta and it's doing the same crap.

Just curious.

Rant over.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-09, 14:03

I'm TELLING you: it is jacked UP!

WAY up.

jacked.

up.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-12-09, 14:16

What's a firefox anyway? fire breathing fox or maybe a fox on fire?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-12-09, 14:18

I updated firefox (have been using chrome full time for months now), and did not notice any of the things you talked about. You install must be borked.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-09, 15:24

I'm running 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard" (with quotes).... baffled why it is so JACKED UP!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-09, 15:26

This Mozilla support thread may help me.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-12-13, 19:14

All I have to add to this is that Firefox 8 seems to be handling my corporate firewall much worse than previous versions. It constantly needs authentication, where previous versions remembered the name and password and stopped asking after a couple logins. It first doesn't load pages, then you authenticate, then it loads part of a page, then you authenticate again, then it may or may not load the rest of the page, usually I have to reload from scratch, and have to authenticate again, and finally, if you're lucky, the page loads.

Safari handles this much better by remembering your credentials and entering them automatically. For whatever reason, Firefox is failing in a big way on this front.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-29, 13:41

Latest version of Chrome is both faster than Firefox (and Safari) and seems more stable to me also. And the damn form-save settings / cookie settings work. IOW I can block 3rd party cookies AND get the forms to work on a lot of sites where with the other browsers it tries to force me to accept 3rd party cookies to get forms to work. I just started using it but if it doesn't bog down I may make it my default.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-02-01, 04:26

If Chrome ever gets colour management, let me know!

I use Firefox as my second browser, and it seems to work fine in that role. Safari 5 is still buggy as heck, but I still put up with it — it's too good to give up on because of a few buggy releases.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-02-04, 17:33

BWT Firefox 8 is so 47 seconds ago. I use Firefox 10.

(sarcasm)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-13, 13:44

Just switched back to Safari (latest Edition). Chrome had some nice features but also some unacceptable rough edges. Just took me a while to discover them. One of the most annoying is that on certain sites (Macworld and others including my web host) certain widgets or components on the site show up as Chinese Characters. Not sure if this is a Unicode bug or what but it's enough to give me pause that what's going on under the hood might not be as stable as Safari or Firefox.

Also I find their update process even more hard to follow than Firefox. They're not well advertised nor are they clearly described.

One thing I will miss quite a bit: the ability to open a folder of links in the Bookmarks Bar and then right-click on a link to open that in a new tab. Apple needs to do this ASAP with Safari. It's a no-brainer feature IMO. Maybe Mountain Lion will bring that enhancement?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-03-13, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
One thing I will miss quite a bit: the ability to open a folder of links in the Bookmarks Bar and then right-click on a link to open that in a new tab. Apple needs to do this ASAP with Safari. It's a no-brainer feature IMO. Maybe Mountain Lion will bring that enhancement?
They have that: just command click the link (or middle-click/scroll-wheel-click). I think opening a context menu on a pop-up menu would be UX murder.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-13, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
They have that: just command click the link (or middle-click/scroll-wheel-click). I think opening a context menu on a pop-up menu would be UX murder.
I'll try that but it works pretty good in practice on Chrome.