AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Prometheus

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Prometheus
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-12-02, 11:25

To provide the heartless witch/company (wo)man/weasel character who is always working an angle (Paul Reiser's Burke, Ash, etc.). She was such an icy, unlikeable figure, I was rooting for her death immediately.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-12-02, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
To provide the heartless witch/company (wo)man/weasel character who is always working an angle (Paul Reiser's Burke, Ash, etc.). She was such an icy, unlikeable figure, I was rooting for her death immediately.
She seemed totally irrelevant to the story, though. You could have taken her out and I wouldn't have noticed at all. And she was clothed fully throughout all but a brief 2 seconds where we saw some back. I mean, common!

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-12-02, 12:17

Probably stunt casting, I don't know. Yeah, she did nothing other than provide a presence for the company (Weyland?). But there's always someone in these movies working a shady angle with ulterior motives. They just made the character a female this time around. I guess they thought it would provide some tension and drama.

Nope. There was none. Just (another) rag-tag group of space workers representing various backgrounds, acting stupidly and getting killed for two hours. In other words, another addition to the "Alien" saga. In a few years, there will be another. And I imagine it'll stick close to the template.

If Ridley Scott wasn't involved, and if this wasn't (rightly) perceived as an installment in the "Alien" saga, does anyone think it would've registered a blip on the radar? Seriously...remove those two things and you just have a very pedestrian sci-fi action/thriller like dozens of others that have come before.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-12-02, 13:48

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Zappa actually felt very strong disdain for illicit drug use, reportedly.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-12-02, 15:12

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I feel shame for stereotyping a guitar God. I was far too young during his prime to know such things, anyway. Forgive me, Fathers of Rock.

Re: Charlize Theron... agree she was thoroughly dislikable, which is the part she's playing obviously. But you should always see a glimpse of a character's human side before the giant horseshoe space cruiser rolls over you; there was none for her which I think made her seem irrelevant. For a character to be a good character, you have to care even if you don't like the character and I am pretty sure no one watching the movie cared one way or the other what she did. Was kind of hoping to see some skin when the captain gave her some lovin' but as mentioned we didn't get a whiff of female nudity to redeem such pointless scenes (where the captain questions if she's human -- which if it was a line, was the most genius line ever for a guy in that position ).

I think her character was necessary to hold the line on the "Androids don't run the show on ships so we need someone for the captain and crew to look up to as the 'human in charge'", but it was poorly executed.

...into the light of a dark black night.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-12-02, 19:13

I think the script described her as "tough as nails but hawt" and felt like its job was done.

For me things kind of hit a low point when she gets in an argument with the captain about what a cold bitch she is, and decides to prove him wrong by ordering him to her cabin for sex. Which is why no one is on the bridge when the call for help comes.

So it's a twofer! Painfully clumsy plot mechanics plus completely out of nowhere, has-no-bearing-on-anything behavior that furthers cements the impression that everyone is mildly deranged and might do literally anything at any moment. Idris, at least, gets to maintain a fairly consistent "fuck it, I'm just here for the lulz and cigars" but he's largely wasted for that.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-07-17, 22:16

Looks like a sequel is in fact on the way, sometime next summer or worst case summer after. Scott directing, but two new screenwriters including one of the guys slated for some movie called Transcendence (also due out next year I think).

Looking like we'll pick up where we left off. I'm guessing that will leave plenty of room to bridge the gap between this sequel and Alien... which would mean the 3rd Prometheus movie would be the actual Alien prequel people expected originally, if they did it that way. IMO this movie was clearly not a prequel in any meaningful sense and not intended to be.

Just watched the movie again tonight and am pretty enthusiastic about the idea. Am especially enthusiastic about Logan Marshall-Green not being in the movie as his total douchery almost ruined the original and the only part of the movie I still hate. His "tool cool for the Android" thing was totally so out of place and without context. Asshole without a reason instead of Rebel without a Cause. Fucking stupid to have him act that way (no one else seemed to hate androids), but in the end he suffered great pain so I was happy.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Prome...ter-38114.html

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-10-07, 15:36

Anyone heard anything new? IMDB has added it to the roster but with little info so far. Just the two obvious candidates: Noomi and Fassbender.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

Mac+
9" monochrome

2023-06-16, 06:21

Necro-bump

Just checking in to say I finally saw this.
Now turning my attention to Alien: Covenant.

Side note - it appears the only times I play catch-up with movies is when I’m either on a plane or sick in bed.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-16, 07:10

Alien: Covenant, even more so than this movie, worked my nerves. Both in-universe (stupid “adults” doing stupid things to get themselves killed, which is the only reason these movies exist), and out (how, like Jurassic Park these movies have one template/gear, and are basically rehashes with a different cast/murder count and overall look/vibe.

Everything that can sensibly be said about this world, these creatures, has been done so, over the course of six, increasingly shitty/shaky movies. Like several other franchises, they should’ve hung it up much earlier: Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Batman, Ghostbusters, etc. It just gets silly after a while.

When are people in that cinematic universe gonna learn to quit screwing around with these things?! It’s a huge Galaxy/universe. Leave them alone, let them have their 2-3 worlds. We don’t have to go there every few years and have space miners, salvagers, scientists, etc. torn apart. We really don’t.

I can’t watch movies with dumb-ass, brainless premises anymore. Too old, too practical, after decades I’ve had enough of endlessly suspending my disbelief with no true reward or payoff. I expect characters in movies to be smarter, more aware and dialed in than me. And when they aren’t, I can’t hang/support. I can gladly suspend it for things like flying cars, laser swords and mystical powers. Sure, fine. What I struggle with is behavior/motivations. Alleged adults being stupid. It's why I bailed on The Walking Dead years and years ago. Nobody on that show acted like any of the horrible stuff befalling them was often due to brain-dead decision-making, and nobody ever seemed to learn anything. I can only take so much of that. I gave way too many of my Sunday evenings to people I would've ran out on years earlier in real life. And once I realized/accepted that, I was like "ah, I don't have to carve out time/sit through this annoying shit if I don't want to!" It was a great moment, and I've just kinda been that way, ever since. The Walking Dead and Prometheus both affected how I watch TV or movies. That's their legacy (for me).

That I found myself actively rooting against the cast of Prometheus was my eye-opening, turning point moment. “These people aren’t worth chewing my nails over. Aren’t deserving of my concern/fear. They should all buy it, and I kinda hope they do."

I’d rather just stick to the 1979 original and its joyride sequel. They never got any better than that, so why encourage them (the studios, certain directors/writers, etc.) to make more, ever less-than entries?

All these actors, directors and franchises taking their “victory lap” and hoping to squeeze a little more out of their 80’s glory/heyday (I’m pointing squarely at you, Mr. Ford…Han Solo, Rick Deckard, Indiana Jones) in the end only seem to highlight how good it was the first time around. None of these recent revisits have added to/strengthened these iconic figures. If anything, it's diminished/weakened them and taken the shine off them. When Indy, his father, Marcus Brody and Sallah literally rode off into the sunset at the end of ...and the Last Crusade, everything that needed saying about that character had been said. There was no sweeter, more earned ending than that. All those decades of great memories. Then they went and pissed all over that in 2008 and, I'll be damned if they're not looking to do so some more in a few weeks. I didn't buy that character at 60-something (although I do realize 60 is the new 40 these days . But global swashbuckling and Nazi-punching at 79-80? Give me a break. I ain't supporting that desperate nonsense. I don't want to see them do to Indiana Jones what was done to Han Solo. I can do without that. Let me cling to a few cherished things from my yoof, without obligatory 21st-century fuckery.

My plans/approach to the fifth Indy will be seeking out spoiler reviews, YouTube theater leaks and catching it on TNT in about another year from now. It's what I should've done in 2008, and I truly can't see how this go-around (without Spielberg, no less) is somehow gonna undo/surpass that mess, 13 years later and an even more-unbelievable lead character.

PS - Prometheus was on TNT(?) a few weeks ago and I tried to watch it. I had some good popcorn on hand and nothing else to do/nowhere to be ("Maybe it'll all hit me differently now, and I should give it a fresh go!"). I made it about 25 minutes before I just got fed up. "Nope, still not there..." and bailed over to HGTV to watch mismatched, unreasonable married couples try to buy an overpriced house.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-06-16 at 07:55.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2023-06-16, 10:46

Yeah, agree with what you wrote Paul.

So, I just watched:
Prometheus (2012)
Alien: Covenant (2017)
Alien (1979)

I remember seeing Alien on VHS at a friend’s place when I was a school kid. Don’t think I’d really sat down to watch it since.

That (the original) was a superb film. Rewatching it was riveting… even though I knew what to expect.

I enjoyed the origin story of Prometheus but I was not invested in the characters. Covenant was trite.

Still, interesting to see how the origin story lead to Alien. I appreciate that aspect of the film making for sure.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2023-06-16, 21:55

Prometheus characters were so wooden. I jumped off the Damon Lindelof bandwagon at that moment. It could have been so much more.