Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2011
Page 1 of 25 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-05, 23:37

In my opinion, a non-AT&T iPhone is likely to be Apple's next major product launch, so...here we are!

No one seems to really doubt that the iPhone is headed to Verizon in the very near future, at this point. But I thought that this was interesting:

T-Mobile is selling T-Mobile-branded dock connector cables now.

They claim they're offering them for international travelers, and users of unlocked AT&T iPhones, but I really don't think they'd go through the trouble of creating and stocking a self-branded offering for such small markets. (Keep in mind that the T-Mobile logo and brand language is different between the US and Europe, so they're not just shipping over the dock connectors they sell in Europe.)

T-Mobile has recently made waves for claiming their HSPA+ network is 4G, which would give them the largest 4G network in the US. And the launch campaign for their new flagship phone, the myTouch 4G, is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gruber
Fascinating commercial from T-Mobile. It’s a parody of Apple’s “Get a Mac” campaign, but it brands the iPhone as being appealing, in and of itself. The insult target is AT&T. T-Mobile is practically begging to carry the iPhone.
T-Mobile uses the GSM standard, just like AT&T. They use a different 3G (and now "4G") band than AT&T uses, however, so Apple would most likely want to make the NA iPhones a pentaband offering; it's already sort of there, though. (They'd just switch Japan's Band VI out for Band IV on NA iPhones.)

I've said it before, but: it doesn't really make sense for Apple to add only Verizon to their carrier mix. Verizon might well be first, but I think they'll try to get it onto every possible network as soon as their AT&T exclusivity expires, and those T-Mobile-branded dock cables seem to suggest that T-Mobile, at least, won't be very far behind.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

wtd

2010-11-06, 00:41

I suspect they'd give Verizon at least some time to bask in the spotlight and for themselves to get supply issues straightened out. Six months or so as "the new iPhone partner" and then invite Sprint and T-Mobile to the party.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-11-06, 05:44

Yeah, that's a tell. Good spot. Ubiquitous iPhone is a comin'

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2010-11-06, 13:16

T-Mobile was one of the companies listed under the "They Probably Won't Be Here Next Year" column in the Business Section of the Sun Times the other day.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Partial
Stallion

2010-11-06, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
T-Mobile was one of the companies listed under the "They Probably Won't Be Here Next Year" column in the Business Section of the Sun Times the other day.
Do you have a link? I can't find it when searching and sorting by date on their site and would enjoy reading this.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-06, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
...because ever since T-Mobile UK and Orange hooked up, there's been rumors that DT would try the same for T-Mobile.

Not because, y'know, 34 million customers are going to up and vanish. They're still growing and they're still profitable.

And they're still backed by one of the largest communications companies in the world, which Americans seem to forget...?

I don't buy the rumors. The only logical partner would be Sprint, and I doubt they'd be interested in another mega-merger...

T-Mobile has been squeezed lately. They've typically targeted the sort of value markets that are currently going pre-paid, and since the G1 they haven't had a lot of luck at tempting consumers into smartphone plans. Last year's holiday offering, the CLIQ, was a flop, being massively overshadowed by the Droid, and the outright failure of Google's Nexus One hurt T-Mobile a lot too. I think that one-two punch really hurt T-Mobile's numbers, for a while.

But. Two failed launches two months apart does not a failed company make, and in Q3 T-Mobile finally launched a G1 successor, and was first out of the gate with the Galaxy S, and smartphone adoption rates improved. On November 1st, T-Mobile USA got a new CEO, Philipp Humm, previously CEO of T-Mobile Germany. On November 3rd they launched four new smartphones, new plans, and a new campaign promoting the shit out of their HSPA+ network. I'm sure it's true that DT views T-Mobile as underperforming (why else would they install a new CEO?), but that doesn't mean that the T-Mobile network is about to crumble, or "not be here next year."

Anyway, back on topic. DT CEO Rene Obermann has recently gone on record as saying that the lack of the iPhone has hurt T-Mobile USA, and Philipp Humm just happens to be the same guy who brought the iPhone to T-Mobile Germany, so...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

ronmexico

2010-11-07, 13:25

I am hanging on to my iPhone 3G as long as I can, and I don't know how much longer it will hold up. The plastic back is starting to crack, the software has become a little more unpredictable requiring an occasional reboot. I live in an area where I would be much better served with a Verizon contract, but there is still no confirmation that Apple will make the switch. These stupid reports that there will be a Verizon iPhone has me holding out longer, but if nothing is confirmed soon I may have to get a Droid. You would think that if there is going to be a new phone early next year, you would hear something before the holiday season starts. Anyone think we may hear something soon?

Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-11-07, 13:41

This *has* to be the year the iPhone goes multi-carrier in the US. It just has to be.

Please?

ronmexico

2010-11-07, 13:51

I figured that since Apple is buying Applenova, Steve Jobs will appreciate my rant and make an announcement soon...

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-11-08, 14:44

According to AT&T they already have a bigger HSPA+ footprint than T-Mobile and they claim they will cover 250m by the end of the month. That largest "4G" claim didn't last long! Of course they have zero phones that can take advantage of it while T-Mob has one. It's good to see them invest in network improvements but instead of this marketing ploy they need a real 4G strategy for the future.

I'd like to see the iPhone on all carriers but I just get the feeling that for the US market Jobs wants to stay with the top carriers and not mess with the other two who have had questionable reputations over time.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-09, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Of course they have zero phones that can take advantage of it while T-Mob has one.
T-Mobile has two — the G2 and the myTouch 4G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM
I'd like to see the iPhone on all carriers but I just get the feeling that for the US market Jobs wants to stay with the top carriers and not mess with the other two who have had questionable reputations over time.
I guess I just don't understand comments like this. Sprint and T-Mobile have 84 million customers, roughly a third of the market. And "questionable reputations"? It's not like Verizon has a sterling reputation, either. Very few people seem to genuinely love their service provider. I've long heard the most complaints about AT&T, and Apple went with them first. So.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-11-09, 09:29

Forgot about the G2. The funny thing is both are only rated for HSPA 14.4 and not HSPA+ so they won't be able to take full advantage of the network.

As for the rest I just think Steve isn't that interested in selling on the tier 2 carriers who just spent the last decade dabbling in the sub prime market while neglecting things like churn, CS or network improvements. The US is Apples most important market and they are very cautious about what they do here. I hope I'm wrong though.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-11, 22:28

Perhaps the most convincing evidence for a T-Mobile iPhone yet: T-Mobile-branded micro-SIMs have started hitting stores and, um, being accidentally sent to consumers. T-Mobile, of course, doesn't offer any phones that use micro-SIMs, and the only products that I know of that do have fruit logos on them. The counter-rumor was that the micro-SIMs must be for the Galaxy Tab, but, nope, that's out now and it uses standard mini-SIMs.

Yeah, I think a T-Mobile iPhone is happening.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-11, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Perhaps the most convincing evidence for a T-Mobile iPhone yet: T-Mobile-branded micro-SIMs have started hitting stores and, um, being accidentally sent to consumers. T-Mobile, of course, doesn't offer any phones that use micro-SIMs, and the only products that I know of that do have fruit logos on them. The counter-rumor was that the micro-SIMs must be for the Galaxy Tab, but, nope, that's out now and it uses standard mini-SIMs.

Yeah, I think a T-Mobile iPhone is happening.
I thought this happened around the time that the iPhone connector was released? I'm surprised no one mentioned it then.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-11, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I thought this happened around the time that the iPhone connector was released? I'm surprised no one mentioned it then.
Yup! I was going to post about it then, but I wanted confirmation that the micro-SIMs weren't just for the Galaxy Tab first. I figured it wouldn't hurt to wait a few days, just to be sure.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-11, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yup! I was going to post about it then, but I wanted confirmation that the micro-SIMs weren't just for the Galaxy Tab first. I figured it wouldn't hurt to wait a few days, just to be sure.
Makes sense.

The moons are really aligning.

Do you guys think that carriers (mainly AT&T) will have to start offering even better subsidies on the iPhone to stay competitive (if AT&T loses exclusivity)? Does that question make much sense? I was having a little trouble getting my question out...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-11-11, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Makes sense.

The moons are really aligning.

Do you guys think that carriers (mainly AT&T) will have to start offering even better subsidies on the iPhone to stay competitive (if AT&T loses exclusivity)? Does that question make much sense? I was having a little trouble getting my question out...
I expect plan prices to drop, especially tethering prices.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-11, 23:34

Yeah, I guess plan prices are really what draws a customer in after all other things are equal.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-11-12, 17:30

The carriers are lowering prices by rolling out tiered data which makes smartphones available to more people. Sprint is the only national without data options. I doubt you'll see an increase in the subsidy though. The iPhone is believed to already carry the largest subsidy in the mobile phone world.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-14, 15:04

Quote:
The carriers are lowering prices by rolling out tiered data which makes smartphones available to more people. Sprint is the only national without data options.
Yup — T-Mobile just introduced a plan to match AT&T's $15/200MB plan. (It's actually only $10 for people on certain promotional plans and the now-discontinued contract-free "Even More Plus" plans, but where T-Mobile really pulls ahead is messaging — unlimited messaging is only $10, not $20).

T-Mobile has a promo plan with 1500 minutes, unlimited messaging, and unlimited smartphone data for the same price as 900 minutes, messaging, and no data on AT&T/Verizon. And T-Mobile's unlimited data is really unlimited — instead of handing out overages at 2GB like AT&T, T-Mobile simply reserves the right to throttle your speed downward at 5GB.

I still think pre-paid is the future, and I think Apple does too, but if you're going to sign a contract T-Mobile and Sprint are the value leaders, hands-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM
I doubt you'll see an increase in the subsidy though. The iPhone is believed to already carry the largest subsidy in the mobile phone world.
Huh? The iPhone subsidy is $400. Full retail on the iPhone 3G S is $499, and the iPhone 4 is $599 or $699. That's not unusually large, and is matched by many other "$199" smartphones.

I'd gladly pay full retail for an iPhone if I could use it on one of Sprint's pre-paid brands. I'd pay full retail for a webOS phone, but Sprint hasn't shown any interested in offering one on pre-pay, not even their lowly WiFi-less Pixi.

faramirtook
A for effort.

2010-12-13, 17:59

I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems as if there hasn't been any evidence (sketchy or not) about the verizon iPhone (or the veriPhone, as I like to call it) that's come out in the last few weeks.

Do people still think it's coming (or at least will be announced) in January? Because I'm in desperate need of a new phone but not willing to switch from Verizon (all the other carries have sub-par service here), and I really don't want to get a blackberry or driod or something and have a veriPhone spring up the next week.

obviously, I'm asking for concrete evidence for a product based in myth and speculation; but would it be wise to wait at least until January before thinking about making a move upward in the phone world? (my NV3 just isn't cutting it at this point.)

I guess this is turning more into purchasing advice, but I think it's still speculation-worthy (and I don't want to start a new thread just to get directed here anyway.)

thanks for any insight.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-13, 18:25

Yes, it's worth waiting. We're only talking a month or so. If I was in your same situation, I'd make my current one make-do for another few weeks, no question. iPhone for Verizon is gonna be huge, I think. And it's more than worth the wait.

Granted, I'm only going on rumors/speculation...so bear that in mind. But everything/everyone seems to point to a January announcement ("announcement" being the key word...keep in mind that Apple often announces big things and then makes you wait another 1-3 for them to hit the street). Naturally, we don't know if that will take place here...hopefully these phones are being produced now, and stockpiled, so they'll be ready for purchase within days, not months, of the official announcement.

If this rumored announcement was 4-6 months away, then I'd have a different response. But anyone can wait one lousy month for something potentially cool. Especially when you consider that fact that 5-10 years ago, you most likely didn't even have a cell phone and you survived (even the lousiest, most basic turd of a cell phone beats walking around with quarters in your pocket, trying to find a working pay phone, right?)

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2010-12-13, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems as if there hasn't been any evidence (sketchy or not) about the verizon iPhone (or the veriPhone, as I like to call it) that's come out in the last few weeks.

Do people still think it's coming (or at least will be announced) in January? Because I'm in desperate need of a new phone but not willing to switch from Verizon (all the other carries have sub-par service here), and I really don't want to get a blackberry or driod or something and have a veriPhone spring up the next week.

obviously, I'm asking for concrete evidence for a product based in myth and speculation; but would it be wise to wait at least until January before thinking about making a move upward in the phone world? (my NV3 just isn't cutting it at this point.)

I guess this is turning more into purchasing advice, but I think it's still speculation-worthy (and I don't want to start a new thread just to get directed here anyway.)

thanks for any insight.
A day early.

Today there are reports that not only is there a Verizon iPhone but that it is in production, has LTE/CDMA support, and that high level managers have already been briefed and have used the device. In addition, there have been several job postings for Verizon engineers at Apple.

I'd say there has been a lot of evidence and all of it points to the Verizon iPhone being released this coming January.

Buy your AAPL stock now.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-12-13, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
A day early.

Today there are reports that not only is there a Verizon iPhone but that it is in production, has LTE/CDMA support, and that high level managers have already been briefed and have used the device. In addition, there have been several job postings for Verizon engineers at Apple..
I'd like to see LTE support too but has anyone has released a dual mode CDMA/LTE chipset yet? Qualcomm has the next generation dual core Snapdragons that are dual mode but they won't be available until next year. And I doubt Apple will take the approach HTC did with the Evo by shoving two chips into one phone. For all we know they may do the world phone route with a WCDMA/CDMA device. Current Snapdragons already do that.

LTE would be nice though. The speeds around here are impressive.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2010-12-13, 21:42

Quote:
I'd like to see LTE support too but has anyone has released a dual mode CDMA/LTE chipset yet? Qualcomm has the next generation dual core Snapdragons that are dual mode but they won't be available until next year. And I doubt Apple will take the approach HTC did with the Evo by shoving two chips into one phone. For all we know they may do the world phone route with a WCDMA/CDMA device. Current Snapdragons already do that.

LTE would be nice though. The speeds around here are impressive.
I'm not sure if I could see Steve releasing an iPhone that wouldn't support the latest tech from Verizon when other phones coming out from Jan-April will do so.

But, who knows. Maybe they will do the iPhone Edge thing all over.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-12-29, 21:24

Apart from offering a CDMA version for Verizon, what other features could we see in the next iPhone?
The current iPhone 4 is still competitive that I'm not sure it warrants a whole new design. Perhaps just a faster processor and more memory? Maybe it'll just be an iPhone 4.5 in white.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-29, 23:12

Bigger memory. SD card slot. HDMI out. Built-in copy of Logan's Run. Spoon. Coconut bra. Bungee cord.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-12-29, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Bigger memory. SD card slot. HDMI out. Built-in copy of Logan's Run. Spoon. Coconut bra. Bungee cord.
Don't forget the kegerator

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-12-30, 03:23

moar of everything!!! Especially battery life, I lurve me some battery life.

But honestly apart from your basic things like more storage, more RAM, faster processor, longer battery life, thinner, better camera.... I really can't think of anything... at all...

Hope they think of something awesome though coz I'll be getting it day 1 either way

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-12-30, 03:30

I'm still wondering if Apple will ship EU iPhones with a Dock Connector-to-micro-USB adapter (likely), or with a separate micro-USB port (because of the MoU).