User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - good for graphics work?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - good for graphics work?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 20:02

Does the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse perform well with Photoshop and detailed graphics software? I would love to 'go wireless' and clean up my desk but I am concerned that possible latency issues might effect my work. I searched this forum and couldn't find any negative reports.

I would like a 'graphics' person to give me a report on how well BT peripherals (Mac or otherwise) work in a real world graphics environment.

Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-07, 20:12

I can't stand Apple's current crop of keyboards and mice for graphics or any other work.

For what it's worth.
neiltc13

2006-09-07, 20:18

Apple's mice have consistently been style over substance ever since that ridiculous hockey puck one came out with the iMac G3. They may look nice and inventive, but after a short period using them you'll find that they're very, very awkward to hold and aren't designed for anyone's hand.

The new Wireless Mighty Mouse is no exception.

For what it's worth, I recommend the Logitech S530 Cordless Desktop for Mac. I use it with my iMac and I love it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-07, 20:24

BT peripherals always have a very slight lag that isn't really noticable in normally use but really irritating when you're trying to do precise graphics work.

And I don't really like the Apple keyboard, anyway. I just don't like the way the keys feel.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Apple's mice have consistently been style over substance ever since that ridiculous hockey puck one came out with the iMac G3. They may look nice and inventive, but after a short period using them you'll find that they're very, very awkward to hold and aren't designed for anyone's hand.

The new Wireless Mighty Mouse is no exception.

For what it's worth, I recommend the Logitech S530 Cordless Desktop for Mac. I use it with my iMac and I love it.
True - I saved my 'puck' as a bit of comedy...

I currently use a Logitech MX510 wired mouse and love it - so I'm sure I would like the form and function of a Logitech wireless model. Do you experience any latency with your Logitech?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-07, 20:28

I've heard mice that use a RF dongle have less lag than those that use BT. I can't comment from personal experience, though.
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 20:35

Robo -

Well, honestly any lag would be unacceptable in my book. I just didn't see anyone on the forum say that they experienced any lag from the various reviews - so I will assume they weren't graphics people.

I agree with you about the Apple keyboards - not that great. Fortunately, I don't do much typing and I only use the control-option-apple-spacebar keys for 99% of my work (Photoshop). So, I was hopeing to get a wireless Keyboard and maybe the Kensington wireless mouse if there was no lag - oh well...

I guess I'll stick to my wired accuracy for now.

Last edited by rubber_Jedi : 2006-09-07 at 20:41.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-09-07, 21:01

I opted for the Apple BT Mouse (not Mighty Mouse) and keyboard with the iMac. I already had a Logitech MX1000 that I used with my PB.

I don't even use the BT Mouse with the iMac these days. The MX1000 is too good not to use. The laser tracking is superb, there is no perceptible lag and it has a plethora of added functionality that the Apple BT Mouse does not offer. Plus there is no battery changing to worry about. The MX1000 is pure bliss to work with.

For the record, Logitech are coming out with some new mice. Check out the MX Revolution. link to the Australian Logitech website - cordless mice page

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-07, 21:07

I agree Apple Keyboard and mice suck. I have a Logitech keyboard with "Laptop Style" keys, and a wireless Logitech mouse. I actually love they keyboard it feels somewhere between a Desktop keyboard and a laptop one. It's perfect.

Logitech cordless desktop S510. It uses RF wireless, so no lag.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10710


Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-09-07, 21:09

The only input device worse than an Apple mouse is an Apple keyboard.

Well, okay, that's being a bit harsh, but their keyboards are really bad. If you want an excellent keyboard with a Mac layout, get a MacAlly iceKey or something from Logitech.
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I opted for the Apple BT Mouse (not Mighty Mouse) and keyboard with the iMac. I already had a Logitech MX1000 that I used with my PB.

I don't even use the BT Mouse with the iMac these days. The MX1000 is too good not to use. The laser tracking is superb, there is no perceptible lag and it has a plethora of added functionality that the Apple BT Mouse does not offer. Plus there is no battery changing to worry about. The MX1000 is pure bliss to work with.

For the record, Logitech are coming out with some new mice. Check out the MX Revolution. link to the Australian Logitech website - cordless mice page
Thanks for the link and input.

Not to sound too picky but - do you use your mouse for detailed graphics? I wouldn't expect to notice any lag when selecting check boxes and clicking around a web page but I use my mouse to do pixel-level graphics editing so my requirements are high. I know this seems like I'm beating a dead horse (saw an emoticon for that once) but I'm really looking for graphics freaks like me to comment on wireless accuracy. Is that you?

Dual-800 G4 Quicksilver. - Yeah, I said it, Geeee-Fooour!!
Mac Pro Octo-2.8GHz Yippeeeeeeee!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-09-07, 21:22

No, it's not me. I don't use it for detailed graphics - about the closest I'd come is editing in Aperture with it. I thought I'd just chime in as someone who has experience with both mice.

Best of luck with what you decide though.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 21:25

Quote:
Logitech cordless desktop S510. It uses RF wireless, so no lag.
Nice looking keyboard windowsrookie. I wonder if Logitech sells just the keyboard? I'm addicted to my 8-button mouse and the all-in-one wireless desktops only seem to come with 3 button mice.

rubber_Jedi

2006-09-07, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
No, it's not me. I don't use it for detailed graphics - about the closest I'd come is editing in Aperture with it. I thought I'd just chime in as someone who has experience with both mice.

Best of luck with what you decide though.
No worries... I really appreciate the info. I think I might give the wireless thing a try - but Roboman's first comment about lag is concerning me (even though the RF solutions might have addressed the lag issue).

Still waiting for a verdict from a member of the graphics Freak Jury...

Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-09-07, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

Well, okay, that's being a bit harsh, but their keyboards are really bad. If you want an excellent keyboard with a Mac layout, get a MacAlly iceKey or something from Logitech.
Definitely, the iceKey is an *awesome* keyboard. It's great for PowerBook users since the key mechanisms on both the iceKey and PowerBook keyboards are similar (which is why I bought it).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-07, 22:05

I don't have the Apple wireless keyboard, but I have owned their Bluetooth mouse for about two-and-a-half years. For day-to-day use, it's fine. I've got no complaints. But there have indeed been times where I'm doing some detailed, precision work in Illustrator or Photoshop and while not "aha!" perceptible, I can swear there's just a smidge of lag or delay. Or, if not that, there just seems to be some lack of ultra-control or response. Hard to put my finger on it, but it's something that I've noticed on occasion.

Nothing harsh or outright unusable, but I certainly can tell a difference in my Bluetooth mouse at home vs. my regular wired Apple mouse at work, when it comes to doing certain kinds of tasks (a complex, detailed clipping path in Photoshop, or sweetening a path in Illustrator). But, obviously, it's nothing major because I still have it.

But when I get my next Mac, I'll use the Mighty Mouse that comes with it and I'll get rid of the Bluetooth one (along with my PowerBook, 3G iPod, dock, carrying sleeve, etc.).

So yes, there's does seem to be a difference, however slight and minor. To me, anyway. But it hasn't been enough to make me not use it, so it maybe be different for you.

But I believe I'd go wired, if I had it to do over again.

I don't like having to buy - or think about - batteries either. It goes a long time - months - between changes, but still. Just something I don't want to have to think about.

rubber_Jedi

2006-09-08, 10:37

Quote:
Nothing harsh or outright unusable, but I certainly can tell a difference in my Bluetooth mouse at home vs. my regular wired Apple mouse at work, when it comes to doing certain kinds of tasks (a complex, detailed clipping path in Photoshop, or sweetening a path in Illustrator).
Got it. I think I'll stick to my gut on this and stay with the wires. Thanks everyone for your input!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-08, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

Well, okay, that's being a bit harsh, but their keyboards are really bad.
To be fair, I think the PowerBook and MacBook Pro keyboard is great.

All the others? Feh. The last decent external Apple keyboard was the old black Pro keyboard.
Is it 1981?

2006-09-08, 10:41

Wow, I had no idea there was noticable lag involved (I guess it would make sense though).

And I'm also with pscates and not liking the idea of batteries. The idea that the batteries will fail right when you're in the middle of something important, and you don't have a new set handy, or you need to spend time recharging them... Urgh.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
neiltc13

2006-09-08, 10:49

Any decent Wireless Mouse or Keyboard will warn you well in advance of batteries needing changing.
Is it 1981?

2006-09-08, 10:51

I take it the Apple ones do? I'm just toying with the idea of buying a new iMac in the future.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-08, 10:55

The Apple one does, but we're not talking hours or days. Usually you get the flash in your Bluetooth menu bar icon, maybe a message and it seems to go downhill pretty quick from there. At least in my experience.

But I've always made it a point to have AA batteries around (you'll never catch me without 2-6 in the house). I've had the thing give me the "low battery" message or want to peter out while in the middle of a project late at night. But I always have a pack, just for such an occasion..

Still, I just hate having to buy them, keeping them around on standby, "just in case".
neiltc13

2006-09-08, 11:16

I don't know if enough people have replied to this thread yet with words to this effect for you to take notice but...

DO NOT BUY THE ANY APPLE KEYBOARD OR MOUSE - THEY ARE TERRIBLE, OVERPRICED PRODUCTS WHICH ARE FAR WORSE THAN LOWER PRICED THIRD PARTY ALTERNATIVES

Such as this:
Logitech S530
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 11:41

To be fair though, if you choose to upgrade to wireless when you are purchasing a Mac, they end up being the same price, or cheaper than than that Logitech combo. I think they're $99 US with a Mini, and $60 with an iMac or a Mac Pro. The Apple products are more expensive if you buy them seperately/later.

Of course, if you just take the included wired Apple products, and then purchase a 3rd party wireless set after market, you'll always have the Apple stuff as a spare if it's needed.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
admactanium

2006-09-08, 13:27

as a graphic designer i've never found a wireless keyboard or mouse that were suitable for that kind of work.
rubber_Jedi

2006-09-08, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post
as a graphic designer i've never found a wireless keyboard or mouse that were suitable for that kind of work.
Which ones do you use?
Gizzer

2006-09-08, 17:53

Ok, just to chip in with my tuppence worth, the best keyboard I've ever used is the keyboard on my Powerbook G4. In my opinion it's not just the best laptop keyboard, but the best keyboard Full Stop.

If Apple made a super-slim full sized (ie with numeric pad) bluetooth keyboard that was made out of Powerbook keys I'd buy it in a shot.

I swear that the layout/tactile feedback is so smooth it's almost psychic
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-08, 18:02

Amen to that, Gizzer.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-08, 18:11

Double amen. I hope I like the MacBook keyboard. I wish it was illuminated...
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-08, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer View Post
Ok, just to chip in with my tuppence worth, the best keyboard I've ever used is the keyboard on my Powerbook G4. In my opinion it's not just the best laptop keyboard, but the best keyboard Full Stop.

If Apple made a super-slim full sized (ie with numeric pad) bluetooth keyboard that was made out of Powerbook keys I'd buy it in a shot.

I swear that the layout/tactile feedback is so smooth it's almost psychic
I'd spend $100 on an external wireless keyboard with the same quality, same feel, same illumination logic. That thing is just instant love.