AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Email 'stuck' in iPhone outbox

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Email 'stuck' in iPhone outbox
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-05-26, 20:39

I replied to an email on my iPhone two days ago (I was behind a firewall using WiFi) and it has been stuck in my outbox ever since. I have deleted it several times, tried forwarding it to Trash and rebooted the iPhone several times.

Any ideas? It is annoying.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-26, 20:59

Might not matter, but POP or IMAP?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-26, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Might not matter, but POP or IMAP?
.Mac (what ever that is)
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-26, 21:17

I believe .mac is IMAP. Have you tried logging into .mac's webmail interface and seeing if the message is also in the outbox there? If so, you might be able to delete it from the webmail system, which *might* result in it being deleted from the iPhone as well (since IMAP syncs mail accounts over the air). YMMV.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-26, 21:22

Quote:
I believe .mac is IMAP. Have you tried logging into .mac's webmail interface and seeing if the message is also in the outbox there? If so, you might be able to delete it from the webmail system, which *might* result in it being deleted from the iPhone as well (since IMAP syncs mail accounts over the air). YMMV.
Just logged into .Mac but no Outbox. (But good idea.)
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-26, 22:13

Have you sent other emails since that one? If not, maybe send a message to yourself to try to flush the outgoing queue. (I'm grasping at straws here, in case you haven't noticed.)

Otherwise, can you open and/or edit the message stuck in the outbox, or is the message stuck as-is? Perhaps editing the message somehow, e.g., changing the recipient, might allow it to be sent properly.

One last thing: Have you tried toggling your internet connection on/off -- i.e., not only disabling WiFi, but disabling and then enabling EDGE as well? (Messages in the outbox are supposed to get sent as soon as an internet connection is reestablished.)
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-27, 07:20

Quote:
Have you sent other emails since that one? If not, maybe send a message to yourself to try to flush the outgoing queue. (I'm grasping at straws here, in case you haven't noticed.)

Otherwise, can you open and/or edit the message stuck in the outbox, or is the message stuck as-is? Perhaps editing the message somehow, e.g., changing the recipient, might allow it to be sent properly.

One last thing: Have you tried toggling your internet connection on/off -- i.e., not only disabling WiFi, but disabling and then enabling EDGE as well? (Messages in the outbox are supposed to get sent as soon as an internet connection is reestablished.)
1. I have sent emails since but this one continues to be stuck.

2. I Cannot edit.

3. I tried disabling and enabling WIFIF from different locations with no success.

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-27, 07:55

I just deleted the account on the iPhone and re-enabled it from iTunes and it is no longer there.

(Did this on on WIFI to rebuild the account faster.)

veryamusing

2008-05-27, 08:03

Sounds like you've solved the problem, but you may also check your iTunes settings to see if you're syncing your mailboxes.

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-27, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
Sounds like you've solved the problem, but you may also check your iTunes settings to see if you're syncing your mailboxes.

I was. I think it was some random error and deleting and rebuilding the mailbox fixed it. No problems today since.
noleli2

2008-05-27, 14:46

Mail.app has a Rebuild Mailbox function. I guess the iPhone should get one, too....