User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 6
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-30, 23:37

Sorry, my bit was more of a joke how any tiny detail people don't like is suddenly a flaw and a sign apple is spiraling w/o Steve
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-30, 23:40

Ok, sorry. I guess I failed to detect the sarcasm
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-30, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The iPod touch has had a very similar protruding camera since 2012. The world didn't end.
I'm actually quite aware of that.

Still, after seven years of a certain way...something different is going to stick out (no pun) to people.

It's different, not world-ending or Apple's doom.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-30, 23:57

Ha...I didn't see this page, I just read your reply on the previous one.

No worries. I'll leave my post above because it's funnier that way.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-31, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Ok, sorry. I guess I failed to detect the sarcasm
That's ok, I didn't do a good job highlighting it
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-08-31, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I thought the same thing about the 4S, but once I had the 5S, looking at the 4S screen is terrible. The size isn't that much bigger to notice once you use it every day.

I guess I'd have the same reaction to a size a tad bigger than the current size as well. I just don't know how the hell I'd carry the damn thing.
I have very small hands. Holding the 4S in my left hand, I can't reach the top right corner with my thumb, especially since so many apps but their hamburger icon in that corner. I don't know if that's a typical experience or not but I like being able to use the phone with one hand (unless I need to type something out).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-31, 12:47

I'm not sure of who in my house is going to upgrade to this one. On one hand I would like it, on the other my wife is due one...

As for how I'm going to carry a bigger phone, easily in my pocket. Looking at that size it isn't that much bigger than I would expect. Plus how do so many Android "flagship phone" carrying people cary them? Sure some use belt clips still, but not that many.

For the lens thing, I don't see it as a deal breaker but it does seem odd to have a lens be the only thing sticking out. It won't lay flat on it's back now and this almost forces you to lay the phone on it's screen. If it's the sapphire screen that's the saving grace then I still don't trust that because the damage to the bezel around the glass.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2014-08-31, 14:07

Regarding the protruding lens, I would imagine having a case would solve any potential issue. Are there many people out there that don't use a case for their iPhone? (Yeah, I know it's prettier without, but when I'm carrying £500 worth of electronics in my pocket, I'm going to protect it.)
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-08-31, 16:21

The only reason I use a case with my iPhone 5 is to keep the edges from getting nicked and because leather/soft-feeling materials are easier to grip. If I had a Nexus 5, I wouldn't be using a case at all.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-08-31, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Regarding the protruding lens, I would imagine having a case would solve any potential issue. Are there many people out there that don't use a case for their iPhone? (Yeah, I know it's prettier without, but when I'm carrying £500 worth of electronics in my pocket, I'm going to protect it.)
I haven't used a case on any of my iPhones since the first one. That one was great. it pulled out the nicks and scratches on the metal. I liked it.

Only had one screen shatter in that time. I feel like that's pretty good considering the amount of time. I just like the look of them too much to put them in a case.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-08-31, 17:14

I used as case on my iPhone 4, but haven't found the need to use one with the 5c, because I don't care if the plastic gets some scratches.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-31, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I used as case on my iPhone 4, but haven't found the need to use one with the 5c, because I don't care if the plastic gets some scratches.
Plus, the 5c just feels more durable to me. It doesn't have a shiny metal chamfer that can get nicked. Putting, say, a CandyShell case on it would just seem redundant.

*secretly wishes he had a 5c*

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-08-31, 17:28

Looks like NFC for payments is a go as a number of stories are out about deals with all the major credit card companies.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-31, 17:55

It only makes sense, if you're going to have a fingerprint scanner and "secure enclave" and everything you might as well make the most of it. The US payment card ecosystem is undergoing a massive shift anyway, to chip-and-pin cards, so now's the right time to make a push with this, while everyone has to upgrade their equipment anyway.

I had a phone with Google Wallet, and the implementation sort of sucked. But I liked the idea. I think Apple will do their typical Apple thing here—they won't be the first to do it, but they'll be the first to do it right and make it palatable for the masses. And all the Android neckbeards will take pains to point out that Google did it first, Google always does it first, why does everybody always thinks Apple invents these things... but everybody will think that Apple invented it, and the cycle will go on.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-08-31, 19:07

I never bothered with Google Wallet when I had it either. A lot of the card readers already seem to have the ability to touch to pay if you have the right card but I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it. Maybe Apple will have better luck. It has to at least be as quick and easy as pulling a card out of my wallet. If so I'll give it a try.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-31, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
Maybe Apple will have better luck. It has to at least be as quick and easy as pulling a card out of my wallet.
This is important. It has to just work, all of the time.

There were a few times I tried paying with Google Wallet and waved my little phone in front of the receiver thing, and nothing happened. It just didn't work. And then the clerk (who has no idea what the fuck I am doing, of course) gets confused, and I look like an idiot, and I say fuck it and take out my wallet. That can't happen, with this.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-31, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
In seven years, over three iPhones, I've never really used a case (I used a clear free one from Apple as part of that free case program for a short while but realized it didn't seem to make much difference with the "Antennagate" issue - maybe I was holding it right? - and I preferred the way the 4 felt without it). Someone bought me a little Marware slider/pouch thing with my original iPhone and I used it about a week or so, total, back in about 2008 or so. I just like the phone "as is". I'm just careful and smart about how and where I use it, that's all.

I've never had one on my 5, and I will have had it two years come October.

I've dropped an iPhone exactly one time in these seven years. It was the original one, on the hard tile floor of Burger King, less than a month after I got it (July 2007). Barely dented the top left corner, and just a little scuff (I got lucky). But that was my early "be careful, and don't be an idiot with this thing" warning. I'd say the iPhone gods are with me because it hasn't happened since. I'll never put mine in a case. To me it just defeats the whole "slim and light" thing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-08-31, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
In seven years, over three iPhones, I've never really used a case (I used a clear free one from Apple as part of that free case program for a short while but realized it didn't seem to make much difference with the "Antennagate" issue - maybe I was holding it right? - and I preferred the way the 4 felt without it). Someone bought me a little Marware slider/pouch thing with my original iPhone and I used it about a week or so, total, back in about 2008 or so. I just like the phone "as is". I'm just careful and smart about how and where I use it, that's all.

I've never had one on my 5, and I will have had it two years come October.

I've dropped an iPhone exactly one time in these seven years. It was the original one, on the hard tile floor of Burger King, less than a month after I got it (July 2007). Barely dented the top left corner, and just a little scuff (I got lucky). But that was my early "be careful, and don't be an idiot with this thing" warning. I'd say the iPhone gods are with me because it hasn't happened since. I'll never put mine in a case. To me it just defeats the whole "slim and light" thing.
That's been my experience as well. Never used a case, only dropped it once (maybe twice) and generally just from a few feet up. Since getting my first iPhone in 2010 I've never had an issue with this.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2014-09-01, 02:20

I had to take my case off my iPhone 4 to use it in my car radio adapter. I didn't put the case on one time I left the car and went into a supermarket - dropped it and smashed the screen. For me, a few extra millimetres is worth it.