User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Camino 2.0
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2009-11-18, 21:09

Lest I'm the only one still using this as my browser, I'd like to hear what you guys think of version 2.0 that's just out.

If you'd like to give it a try, click here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-18, 21:14

Thanks for the heads-up. Downloading.... I had been using the beta 2 for a while; so, I doubt there will be any surprises for me.

It's always great to see progress continuing to be made with this little browser. I used to use Camino for a bunch of stuff at work, but with Safari 4 I switched back to Safari thanks to the JS performance boosts and thanks (in an unfortunate sense) to Camino's adoption of Firefox's super-strict certificate checking.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Last edited by Brad : 2009-11-18 at 21:20. Reason: clarification
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2009-11-18, 21:17

Sorry, do you mean you have switched to Safari 4 since it came out, or that you switched from Safari (presumably 3) back to Camino when Safari 4 came out?

And what's this JS performance boosts and super-strict certificate checking of which you speak? huh?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-18, 21:25

Sorry, I meant I switched back to Safari when Safari 4 was released.

The certificate checking that I take issue with is something that only happens in our dev environments at work where the developers issue their own self-signed certificates. Camino complains about that when initially loading a secure page, which is fine and expected, but the "add certificate exception" process only adds an exception for the domain of that page (eg. www.mydomain.tld), not the domain of any other content that may reside on that page (eg. images, JS, CSS on something like static.mydomain.tld) and not the domain specified in the certificate (eg. *.mydomain.tld). In previous versions of Camino, it would apply the exception to all content on the page (or what the cert specified, I can't remember).

Firefox ratcheted up this level of security in, I think, version 3.0. Assuming it actually is due to something in Gecko, it was only a matter of time until Camino got it too.

Safari actually exhibits the same "strict" behavior, but that just means that Camino loses an edge it once had for me.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2009-11-18, 21:33

The tabs bar is now quite a bit thicker than before - in fact, maybe even 2/3 pixels thicker than Safari. I'm slightly annoyed by this, but what can you do when Safari and Firefox are so debilitating.

Brad, how are you able to get used to Safari after being a longtime Camino user? Does the tab switching behavior not piss you off? (need to tab out of text box before you can switch tabs using left/right arrow keys)
¡Damned!

2009-11-18, 21:37

I <3 Camino with all my, well .... <3.

But I'm not trying 2.0 until I hear word that it's 1Password compatible.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-18, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong View Post
Brad, how are you able to get used to Safari after being a longtime Camino user? Does the tab switching behavior not piss you off? (need to tab out of text box before you can switch tabs using left/right arrow keys)
Nope. In Camino, I always used command-option-arrow. In Safari, I simply adjusted to using command-shift-arrow or [ ]. Consistently using arrows alone would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

rampancy

2009-11-19, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I <3 Camino with all my, well .... <3.

But I'm not trying 2.0 until I hear word that it's 1Password compatible.
I've been using the 2.0 betas and the 2.0 RC builds (I'm right now using an x86-optimized 2.0.1pre build from suishouen) and they've always been very fast and very stable. I switched from Safari years ago, and never looked back.

And yes, the Camino 2.0 beta builds have always been compatible with 1Password; official support just got dropped from them to make things easier for the developers.

The trick I always used to enable Camino 2.0 support in 1Password was this:

1) Use "Show Package Contents..." to get inside 1Password
2) Navigate to /Contents/Resources
3) Open up "SupportedBrowsers.plist" in your text editor of choice
4) Go the entry for Camino (it should be the first one you see) and change the entry <string>2009</string> to <string>2010</string> (or some number of your choosing which is higher than the original value)
5) Save your changes and restart Camino.

It's worth noting that these steps were posted on the 1P forums by one of the AWS staff, so it's a legit workaround. The only wrinkle is that you'll have to do this every time you update if you're on 1Password 2. If you're on the 1Password 3 beta, you can make a copy of SupportedBrowsers.plist and put it in 1Password's Application Support folder, and it'll automatically load after an update.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
¡Damned!

2009-11-19, 10:54

That's good info to know. Thanks.

I've been holding off on upgrading 1Password until the "official" launch of 3.0, but I guess this is as good of a reason as any to pull the trigger.

So it goes.
Baron Munchausen

2009-11-19, 12:00

Camino 1.6.10 eats cycles on youtube on my PB G4 and regularly hangs. Camino 2 first try out? Crashed after clicking a link from one vid to the next.

Firefox was a CPU hog on Youtube too. Safari is a little better.

Can I last until the MBP Quad comes out?
rampancy

2009-11-19, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That's good info to know. Thanks.

I've been holding off on upgrading 1Password until the "official" launch of 3.0, but I guess this is as good of a reason as any to pull the trigger.
Well, considering how the official launch of 1P3 is today...

And it looks like they made 1Password's behaviour with respect to Camino a lot easier to manage - when I upgraded my copy of 1P2.x to 3.0 (I was in the early beta program, but held off on upgrading on this machine) it threw up a helpful little screen that said something to the effect of "It looks like you're running an unsupported browser...do you want to enable 1Password anyway?". That's a lot more helpful to the end users, especially people who are running the nightly builds or optimized builds but don't understand why 1Password won't work with their browsers.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi