The Lolcat Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Lolcat Thread
Page 31 of 32 First Previous 27 28 29 30 [31] 32  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-02, 17:03

I've been deliberately avoiding the whole Rebecca Black meme, but I finally gave the music video a watch. "Music video" is being generous, here. It felt more like an advertisement; I kept on expecting all the kids to start schilling Go-Gurt. But if my ears ever stop bleeding, I think it will have boosted my confidence as a musician.

I was expecting it to be bad, but I can't get over how bad it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the final nail in the coffin of auto-tune, I mean she sounds like a cyborg Sarah Palin. And what the hell do tweens know about getting down on Friday, anyway? "Man, our lives are so stressful, what with our homework and having everything provided for us and stuff. We really need to just let loose a bit, on the weekend. Let's drive our convertibles over to Rebecca Black's parents' house and listen to her sing!"

I didn't think lyrics could get more banal than will.i.am rapping the days of the week, but Rebecca Black goes beyond the impossible by carefully explaining, at length, that Saturday does in fact come after Friday, and Sunday comes after that.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-04-02, 17:12

Just relax and let the hooks do their work.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-02, 17:14

I have found the place hope goes to die, and it is Rebecca Black's "Friday."

But the saddest thing is that behind it all is a talentless young girl who just really wanted to be a pop star. And you just know that everyone around her is in full-blown reality-denying, all-publicity-is-good-publicity mode, and it'll hit hard when she finally realizes that she's just the new William Hung. Being talentless and having rich parents (Ark Music Factory is, of course, a vanity label) aren't crimes, but sometimes I think taking advantage of kids should be. :/

But hey. She'll sell some iTunes, and maybe in twenty years she'll be able to laugh about her "brush with fame." Who knows.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-04-02, 17:19

Those kids driving the car (that convertible)...were any of them over 13?

We might need a mod to lift this discussion out of this thread and into its own? We've deviated from the kittycat goodness, but I feel this topic could result in some funny posts and back-and-forth if given its own thread (I know, I kinda started it by replying to GOLDFRAPP's posting...it was all new/unknown to me).

Brad, do that thing you do.

PS - I don't want to hear any more shit about "waterboarding". I now know what true torture is.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-04-02, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I've been deliberately avoiding the whole Rebecca Black meme, but I finally gave the music video a watch. "Music video" is being generous, here. It felt more like an advertisement; I kept on expecting all the kids to start schilling Go-Gurt. But if my ears ever stop bleeding, I think it will have boosted my confidence as a musician.

I was expecting it to be bad, but I can't get over how bad it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the final nail in the coffin of auto-tune, I mean she sounds like a cyborg Sarah Palin. And what the hell do tweens know about getting down on Friday, anyway? "Man, our lives are so stressful, what with our homework and having everything provided for us and stuff. We really need to just let loose a bit, on the weekend. Let's drive our convertibles over to Rebecca Black's parents' house and listen to her sing!"

I didn't think lyrics could get more banal than will.i.am rapping the days of the week, but Rebecca Black goes beyond the impossible by carefully explaining, at length, that Saturday does in fact come after Friday, and Sunday comes after that.
Ah, so you "get it" now

I also like the bit where she's having an existential crisis about where she should sit in the convertible* when there's only one seat available. And then the cameo appearance by 'Fat Usher' whose lyrics are equally terrible.

*Although I'm pretty sure when the lyrics were written there was no convertible in mind, just a plain old school bus with plenty of seats
GOLDFRAPP

2011-04-02, 20:25

Everyone, please, watch this Rebecca "Black Friday" parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Chelwb6Ja4

It's so hysterically spot on, I almost died. You won't regret it.

P.S. When watching, be sure to close any ads that may obstruct the lyrics at the bottom.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-04-02, 20:56

Oh no, I just watched the "Ark Intro" video and now I'm blind and insane.

If you don't know, "The Ark Music Factory" is a teen exploitation mill/vanity label in SoCal that figured for the right price they could start processing ambitious adolescents with affluent parents like cupcakes, giving them disposal songs and videos for four or five grand a pop. Sort of like a high production value, very expensive version of those blue screen karaoke booths that you can make a DVD with. Thus "Friday" (and many more), although I wonder if Rebecca and her parents are especially proud to be famously horrible. Like I say, I don't think it matters anymore, and I expect her to host SNL soon, or get a reality show, or be elected governor of Alaska.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-04-02, 21:14

...or a Senator from Illinois.

Equal time, brother man.

A mod really needs to do some surgery on this thread...I feel we're stepping on the kitties with all this Black Friday talk.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-03, 14:03

Back on track:

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-04, 13:02

Win.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-04, 13:50

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-04-04, 19:24

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-07, 18:54

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-07, 22:07

Caterpillar makes shoes now? Awesome.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 23:58

They have for at least 13 years. I wore a pair while I was an EMT with a rescue squad. Decent boots though horrible wear life.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-08, 16:50

See, if I had quit my job like what's his name from Office Space and gone to work with Lawrence and the chics from Channel 9 at the construction site, I'd know this.

...into the light of a dark black night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-08, 17:57

Yep, you would.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-04-08, 18:12

Yeah I get the impression that they're just trading on the name and not worrying over much about making a great boot.

Red Wing guy, myself.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-04-19, 19:34

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-04-21, 00:11

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-21, 17:15

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-04-21, 17:45

Man, that looks a lot like me in the morning!
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-22, 18:00

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-07-09, 12:34

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-07-22, 10:52

murbot
Hoonigan

2011-07-22, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Caterpillar makes shoes now? Awesome.
Dude I'm wearing a pair of their boots right now. They're called "Walking Machines".
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-07-27, 11:58

Do we have a "Not-so-lol" category? Amazing and highly bogus result at the same time. 1800 miles just to get hit by a car. The universe pisses me off sometimes. I'm no tree hugger but that cat deserved to live damnit!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14303496

...into the light of a dark black night.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-11-03, 17:39

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-11-08, 17:02

In honor of the new Zelda game coming out later this month, I made this one today.

Foj
Veteran Member

2011-11-15, 20:04