User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Mac Pro + Time Capsule

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Pro + Time Capsule
Mr. X

2008-01-27, 22:09

OK, so this spring I'm buying a Mac Pro. I do lots of work with audio, and I want a powerful Mac that allows me to expand to my heart's content (tons of internal storage, power, the ability to add a sound card, etc). I'm going to start with a 1-TB HD. (I will eventually need more, but this will last for quite sometime). The most important thing for me is learning the best way to backup. I'm new to the whole Time Machine feature, which I think is phenomenal. However, if my HD were to fail, or my computer were to get stolen...would whatever is saved on Time Machine really allow me to get everything back with a new Mac, or new HD? If so, I'd get a 1TB Time Capsule. If this is the best solution, can I keep adding on to that Time Capsule? Say, down the road, I'm ready for another HD to put into my tower. Can I just daisy chain a 2nd Time Capsule to continue backing up? Finally, if there is a more secure and better solution for backing everything up in a Mac Pro, what is it? I'd love some professional advice...

My Mac--> iBook G4, 1.33 GHz w/ 80G HD & 1G RAM
My iPods--> 4G 60gb + Shuffle (512MB)
Retired--> iMac G3 DV SE, Original iPod w/ Scroll Wheel, iPod Shuffle (1G)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-01-27, 22:32

Yes, Time Machine would allow you to restore your system to near exactly as it was on the last back up.

In your case, it would seem that a FW drive (or better still eSATA) external drive would be best suited for your Time Machine drive if you are looking to archive the whole 1TB drive.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
admactanium

2008-01-28, 04:01

an interesting point on external cases that came up in a recent review of time machine was that if you're using an esata case it's obviously going to need a 3rd party card on a mac pro. as such, if you were to do a clean install of an os on your mac pro's internal drive(s) and wanted to restore from a time machine backup, you'd have to set up the system first and install the esata card drivers before you could use the time machine backup. i think when i set up my time machine external drives i'm going to stick to a fw800 or at least a multi-interface enclosure.
Mr. X

2008-01-28, 05:57

OK, but if I just have regular HD's in the tower, Time Machine should work just fine, right? I'd much prefer to use the Time Capsule option. I love the idea of having it hidden in a different room, and not having to use external HD's, or add more internal ones just for backing up. So, if this will work, the question I still need to ask is this: Can I daisy-chain more than one Time Capsule as my storage expands?

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-28, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
OK, but if I just have regular HD's in the tower, Time Machine should work just fine, right?
Time Machine will work fine with a second drive, yes.

Quote:
I'd much prefer to use the Time Capsule option. I love the idea of having it hidden in a different room, and not having to use external HD's, or add more internal ones just for backing up. So, if this will work, the question I still need to ask is this: Can I daisy-chain more than one Time Capsule as my storage expands?
Not as far as anyone knows, no. However, it seems that the 10.5.2 update will add the option to use network drives for backup. This way, you can buy one of the many NAS systems out there, and use that instead.
If your home isn't networked, you can buy two Airport Extremes and make a network with them, connecting the NAS wirelessly. Then there's no wires revealing the location of the backup.

Converted 07/2005.
Mr. X

2008-01-28, 07:59

Thank you! All of these responses helped a lot...
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 08:02

Quote:
Can I daisy-chain more than one Time Capsule as my storage expands?
Personally, from the specs you're suggesting you'll be using, I believe you would be better served by a more professional backup solution. Time Capsule sounds like it's great for a normal user, but a normal user won't be filling up terabyte drives with data that needs to be secured.

On-line backup's are fine, but at some point folks are going to need to use off-line backups. There's a reason businesses do that.

real hackers don't use sigs
Mr. X

2008-01-28, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Personally, from the specs you're suggesting you'll be using, I believe you would be better served by a more professional backup solution. Time Capsule sounds like it's great for a normal user, but a normal user won't be filling up terabyte drives with data that needs to be secured.

On-line backup's are fine, but at some point folks are going to need to use off-line backups. There's a reason businesses do that.
What do you suggest? I'm clueless when it comes to things like RAID...all I know is that it costs a fortune...Time Capsule has a 1TB option...you really don't think that's secure enough?

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-28, 09:21

Quote:
What do you suggest? I'm clueless when it comes to things like RAID...all I know is that it costs a fortune...Time Capsule has a 1TB option...you really don't think that's secure enough?
One thing is whether or not it's secure enough, but if you'll have more than one 1TB drive, it plainly won't be enough.

The other aspect is that it seems like you are doing professional stuff, and are screwed if you don't have a backup. If your house burns down, then what? Just accept the loss?

Converted 07/2005.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 09:31

Quote:
What I think is irrelevant. It's your data - and it'll be your cash. If I were someone who needed professional level backups of my stuff, I'd use something like the VXA-320 Firewire/USB Tape Drive. It costs about US$1100.00 .

A single 160/320GB tape costs about US$65.00, and you'll need 3 for a full backup of a full 1 TB disk. Figure on a full backup once a week, incrementals once a day, a tape retention policy of a month - you're looking at about 36 tapes. You can probably use the tapes 12 times, so figure on replacing them yearly...that's over US$2,000.00 in tapes every year.

On-line backups are fine, but they're really not backups. If your house took a big electrical hit, your Mac AND your Time Capsule could get trashed. Off site storage of backups is step one of a professional backup solution, 'cause "solution" isn't hardware. A solution USES technology, it's not technology in and of itself.

It's a function of how important the stuff is. Your mp3 collection isn't worth it (unless you're made of cash), but for your audio/video production that you spent a couple months on? perhaps...

Your call.

real hackers don't use sigs

Last edited by Taskiss : 2008-01-28 at 09:47.