Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10) Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10) Thread
Page 6 of 10 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-10-20, 20:13

Paul, I agree. Attention to detail has definitely been lost. They are firing on all cylinders with features but they are leaving a lot of rough edges here and there.

I've thought for years that Apple has been struggling a bit in the software department and they are not doing anything to change my opinion there.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-20, 21:23

Playing around with my mouse a bit more and it is definitely, most certainly 100% glitched out or busted completely by Yosemite. If I turn smooth mouse off, aside from generally erratic tracking and scrolling, selecting text becomes painfully slow, moving windows in Finder basically breaks, contextual menus break, pop-down menus on websites break, and just all sorts of other weird behavior that you wouldn't think possible to happen at all, let alone this bizarrely localized.

Yosemite definitely did something here, but my mouse is probably to blame too. Going to download the official mouse drivers and see what happens then. Thank god for smooth mouse though in the meanwhile.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-20, 22:46

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...ce-issues.html

This doesn't cite any mouse issues exactly but it is a bit worrying. I don't play a lot of games on my mac but I do play a couple and since Yosemite I have noticed one of them has had an enormous FPS drop off. From ~300(it's an older game) to barely 60. Similarly, I have seen a few other quirky bits of lag/slowdowns/delays around the system here and there.

One thing that is strange about any performance issues though is that my CPU is *never* taxed, like hardly ever. Occasionally an app will take 50-60% but there will still be several cores untouched. Same with my RAM it's basically never used up at all. But then there will still be chirps and weirdnesses here and there that just sort of defy sense given how powerful my machine is.

Not that I know anything but it just sort of gut feeling feels like Apple prioritizes for power management or something, like everything is constructed from a 'use the least amount of power to try to get the same job done' mindset as opposed to maybe throwing more power at a problem to get it done faster. Because it just seems like little things will cause the system to buck in a way that you really shouldn't think they should.

Or maybe it's just glitches and bugs. I guess the next step would be to try different video card drivers if possible and see if that affects anything.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-21, 00:12

Cannot say I've noticed any issues with graphics, (AMD 6770M), any more so than 10.9. There were some graphics issues in earlier builds, but the release version seams fine playing games like F1 2012 at 1080p.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-10-21, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Just out of curiosity so I can troubleshoot if this might just be my specific mouse or not. What type of mouse do you have and are you using any third-party drivers at all?
Sorry for the slow response. I’m one of those weirdos who thinks the Apple Magic Mouse is the best mouse ever. So that’s what I’m using. No third-party mouse software of any kind. Everything works fine.

There are rough edges elsewhere, however. There are innumerable errors in displaying the GUI (drawing errors?). It seems like the graphics have been given a major overhaul. For example, when viewing a large JPEG in a Safari tab, clicking to zoom does not reliably zoom in on the area clicked. It often zooms in to a completely different area of the photo.

There are also little glitches in the display of menus and many other interface elements. Some of these are momentary – they happen while a menu is being displayed, but sort themselves out after some fractions of a second – while others are just broken. For example, if I double-tap my Magic Mouse to Smart Zoom on the first paragraph of text on this page and then scroll up, the page selector looks a mess. (Zooming in with Command-+ works fine, on the other hand).

Makes the OS feel flakey.

Very similar things happened when iOS 7 was released but were fixed over the subsequent months. I suspect Yosemite will follow a similar pattern.

More generally, I think the pressure on Apple to release new features quickly, as exerted by the collective innovation of all non-Apple ecosystems, is much greater today than it was five years ago. This harms quality. It’s not the end of the world, but I do think Jobs would have insisted on better quality regardless of what the competition was doing. Whether that would be better for market share I doubt. People are foolish and often prefer broken features they don’t need to core essentials polished to a high sheen. I tend to prefer the latter. (Though apparently not enough to resist the temptation of installing new operating systems on day one! )

On the other hand, it wasn’t Tim Cook who declared that real artists ship. And Apple has always rushed things to market long before it made any sense for the customer. That’s part of the culture of the broader Silicon Valley, Apple included.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-10-21, 08:29

Anyone else finding their WiFi connections dropping unexpectedly? Granted I'm doing massive backups and downloads of files, tens of gigs, but still.

It was rock solid before the 10.10 update.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-10-21, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Anyone else finding their WiFi connections dropping unexpectedly? Granted I'm doing massive backups and downloads of files, tens of gigs, but still.

It was rock solid before the 10.10 update.
On the contrary, my Wi-Fi has been rock-solid since I updated to Yosemite whereas before it would intermittently refuse to reconnect after waking from sleep. So I guess something about Wi-Fi changed, but in my case, for the better.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-10-21, 16:08

Anyone else notice the throwback to MacOS 9 in the Apple menu?

We have Locations again.

Is this just the first time I'm seeing this, or is this actually new?
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-21, 17:20

If you turn on 'increased contrast' in the accessibility options a lot of windows start to look like ancient MacOS
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-21, 18:21

The transparency stuff seems a little haphazard and random to me. If a window is active - Mail, for instance - it'll have transparent/translucent panels where I can see my desktop's color showing through. But when I have another app - Safari, etc. - in the foreground and active, the translucency on Mail goes to sold white.

Something about that just seems odd/backwards to me, the more I use and explore Yosemite.

If something's in the background, I actually wish it would fade out some or take on some translucency (a visual cue that it has "receded into the background/currently not in use", as the actual background is showing through it a little). But I goes all white, and the active apps have the transparency/translucency touches...which don't mean, or do, anything of note. Something in the foreground, in my mind, should be totally prominent/opaque...truly "out in front" and the main focus or active application, with no show-through.

That could be just how I view it all, I don't know. But it seems backwards.

Some of these design/interface touches throughout Yosemite strike me as "because we can" vs. "because they actually do/mean something". The transparency stuff is the main offender for me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-21, 20:43

Okay, here are two legit issues I'm dealing with, both of them arising with the new OS (and not before).

1) In Dropbox, right-clicking on a file to get a link that I can post here (or elsewhere) to show an image or a file...it's no longer there. I get OS X-related options, but not the three Dropbox-specific options. I remember this happened last year with Mavericks. I can't remember if there was a new version of Dropbox that fixed it, or if Apple did something.

[/quote]

check in the "extensions" preference panel that Dropbox is allowed for Finder extensions.

shit, i'm an idiot and just edited paul's post. sorry man, new baby, no sleep. see my suggestion above.

Last edited by alcimedes : 2014-10-22 at 10:39.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-21, 20:57

1) Make sure your Dropbox software is up to date, it's working fine here.

2) Should be able to "learn" the spelling of any word you type, the same as OS X has always allowed you to. Right click (option + click) on the word and go down to "Learn Spelling."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-21, 21:51

#2 is fixed. Thanks! I knew I was overlooking something simple/obvious. I was trying to fix it from the auto-correct end and not thinking to highlight "pscates" and say "learn it". Such a dunce sometimes...

#1, I just downloaded the Dropbox version from their site (v2.10.41), but I'm still not getting those three Dropbox-specific options when I right-click a file in my Dropbox (to share/post here, etc.). They were always separated from all the other options that appeared by a couple of horizontal lines. One of them - the one I used most - was "copy public link" (or something close to that), and then there were two more. Those aren't appearing for me when I right-click a file.

I get:

Quote:
Open
Open With > (submenu contains a bunch of non-Dropbox stuff)
------------
Move to Trash
------------
Get Info
Compress "file.jpg"
Burn "file.jpg" to Disc...
Duplicate
Make Alias
Quick Look "file.jpg"
Share > (submenu, again, is a bunch of non-Dropbox options/apps/services)
------------
Copy "file.jpg"
------------
Show View Options
------------
Tags... (with the seven colored dots showing below)

------------
Set Desktop Picture
Reveal in Finder
Before, there would be three more options toward the top (somewhere up in the top 1/3 of the menu, with those three Dropbox-specific options (make link, copy URL or whatever, etc.).

Odd.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-21, 22:47

So you don't see this then?

Interesting. Is Dropbox not allowed under Extensions by any chance (new items in System preferences)? If that isn't the issue, I'm not sure what to suggest.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-21, 23:13

Exactly. I'm not seeing those three things, and just since Yosemite.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2014-10-22, 11:33

Ha, turns out mine is missing as well, tried my own advice with no luck, then tried a reinstall and reboot, with no luck.

If I find a fix I'll update back here.

Google is your frenemy.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-10-22, 11:58

Mine has been missing in all the betas, too.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2014-10-22, 12:45

I've also noticed that if you're in something like Steam and have multiple monitors, all the screens black out again.

In one of the 10.9 updates they 'fixed' that (IMO) so that your other screens remained active.

Google is your frenemy.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-10-22, 14:58

I found a remedy for Yosemite's ugliness: Just use the Panther Aqua Blue background. It's blue tone works well with the transparency effects and nicely complements all the white UI stuff. Funny that the right wallpaper can make such a difference. Unfortunately none of the contrast settings under the usability section in preferences seems to solve the problem with the not so sharp text in the menu bar.

Unrelated to the UI, I've noticed that Little Snitch has picked up a lot of new outgoing network traffic. While that's not unusual for a new OS X version, there seems to be an awful lot of (plaintext?) port 80 traffic. I think I'll try and look into that come the weekend...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-22, 15:30

That's nice. I always - for years now - use a neutral/grey background and set the three "stoplight" controls to graphite. I tried the blue Aqua Panther background and put the controls to color. If nothing else, it's a nice change and something new.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2014-10-22, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Unrelated to the UI, I've noticed that Little Snitch has picked up a lot of new outgoing network traffic. While that's not unusual for a new OS X version, there seems to be an awful lot of (plaintext?) port 80 traffic. I think I'll try and look into that come the weekend...
IT folks have looked at 10.10, it's reporting a ton of shit back to Apple even with all the various reporting features disabled.

It apparently includes your DuckDuckGo search info being sent to Apple, among other things.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/Apl...n-privacy.html

Google is your frenemy.
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-10-22, 16:18

I've noticed a lot of new Little Snitch activity lately. Especially since installing Yosemite.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-10-22, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Okay, here are two legit issues I'm dealing with, both of them arising with the new OS (and not before).

1) In Dropbox, right-clicking on a file to get a link that I can post here (or elsewhere) to show an image or a file...it's no longer there. I get OS X-related options, but not the three Dropbox-specific options. I remember this happened last year with Mavericks. I can't remember if there was a new version of Dropbox that fixed it, or if Apple did something.
There isn't a stable version of Dropbox for Yosemite yet; you can use this beta.
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-10-22, 17:18

The Camera Uploads folder also needs addressing. It looks seriously ugly on Yosemite. I'm amazed this wasn't rolled out immediately. Dropbox are hardly some small start-up these days. They must have had a Yosemite beta for months.

I really need to get over all this first world problem nonsense.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-23, 00:27

Quote:
IT folks have looked at 10.10, it's reporting a ton of shit back to Apple even with all the various reporting features disabled.

It apparently includes your DuckDuckGo search info being sent to Apple, among other things.

Apple describes the type of info used for Spotlight Suggestions here. Relevant bit starts half way down page 39.

Maint point, to my mind, is that Apple assigns a temporary user ID for this info that expires after 15 minutes. The idea is to provide contextual info, based on a proximate series of inquires, rough location, and device type, without a persistent user ID. They also note that location information is "blurred", and blurred more the fewer people are in an area. HTTPS as well.

I find it hard to see this as in any way nefarious. Obviously you want search queries (Spotlight has become in effect a search engine) to have some way of getting targeted-- you want movie about theaters in your area without having to stipulate that, you want further inquires to have some contextual awareness of what you just searched for, etc.

Are people concerned about Google now? Because my Google searches certainly seem to know where I am, and judging from the ads I see, they sell every query I make.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-24, 20:48

Apple was surprising quick to get to iOS updates after 8.0, I wonder how soon before the first Yosemite update drops.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-29, 18:39

Safari seemed a lot faster for a while but lately I've been having issues with sites behaving properly. I suspect it might be Flash's fault, but it's been happening on a few pages that don't have any flash content as well. Anyone else seeing strange behavior with Safari? Specifically stuff like, buttons not clicking, tabs hanging, random pinwheels, pages failing to load only to load immediately if you try again...etc.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-30, 00:22

I have noticed that comment sections on some websites behave strangely, such as not showing up sometimes, but other than that nothing stands out.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-11-02, 17:32

Quote:

Haven't had time to look into this yet.

Instead I've realised that that Russian Java update is not the only case of Russian on my Mac now. There are other dialog boxes that have turned Russian too.

I'm fairly certain it's not foul play, as I have had a Russian keyboard layout installed because I have been taking some lessons in Russian. Unfortunately, simply disabling the Russian keyboard has not excised the problem.
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-11-10, 17:18

My MacBook Air keeps renaming itself - currently at (15). I have no idea what is causing this problem but it means I can never log in remotely. This problem started after upgrading to Yosemite.