User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Time Capsule + Airport Express at the same time?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Capsule + Airport Express at the same time?
Rogue Pat

2008-01-28, 11:41

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying Time Capsule so I can use it as a central disk & wireless router for our two Apple laptops. However, Time Capsule lacks the "audio out" that I heavily use on my Airport Express.

So I was wondering, can we use Time Capsule as our main wireless router, but still stream music wirelessly to an Airport Express unit?

Thanks!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-01-28, 11:58

Yes. The AirPort Express will just run fine as an AirTunes server.
wecallitfall

2008-01-28, 15:49

yeah as turtle said, iTunes will see the express completely separately from the TC
Paul
Veteran Member

2008-01-29, 00:08

Also, you can use the express to "extend" your network and get better wifi coverage.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-08, 11:25

Bump

I saw this in a related threads from another thread I'm in and thought I'd give a bit of an update with more details.

I've been running this setup for about 4 months now and it just sucks. It works, but sucks. I have a 500GB TC and an "n" Express to extend the network at the other side of the house. It's really pretty bad when on the Express.

It works great as a music extender though. No problems there, but my Mac Mini with "n" can't see the "n" network because of the "g" devices bringing the Express down. I can't run Time Machine on the Mini either because it chokes on the network. Mini to AppleTV, make sure those transactions happen while you are all sleeping. I'm going to drop a cable down the wall when I have the realistic chance, but in the mean time I'll be getting an Airport Extreme to serve as my range extender.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-10-08, 13:05

I had that same problem, but I had an old UFO AX and I set that up off the TC and created a separate network just for the b/g devices so that it wouldn't drag down my TC and my AEn.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey