User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

is there a way to get past decryption passphrase?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
is there a way to get past decryption passphrase?
NeverFade

2007-12-10, 19:59

I finally found a bunch of files that I needed at work. They are a few years old, and I believe they have what I need inside a zip file. When I click on the .zip file it asks for the Decryption Password for this .zip file. ( I wasn't even aware that this could be done ) no one at work knows who did this, - a few years ago apparently - and no one obviously knows the password.

Is there any way I can get into this file? Any hack or anything?? that I can attempt to unstuff / unzip this? This is really infuriating that I can't open it, when it's right under my mouse, but I still can't get in...
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-10, 20:11

Quote:
Is there any way I can get into this file?
No.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-12-10, 20:26

Depends on the quality of the password and the encryption. Doesn't hurt to grab the fastest computer at the office and try.

http://www.iusmentis.com/technology/...dex-crack.html
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/archives/zip/
NeverFade

2007-12-10, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Depends on the quality of the password and the encryption. Doesn't hurt to grab the fastest computer at the office and try.

http://www.iusmentis.com/technology/...dex-crack.html
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/archives/zip/
Thanks a lot for this, however these are all Windows based .exe files. I should have mentioned that I am in an OSX environment. I have googled this but I cannot find any thing that equals this for OSX.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-11, 02:02

Honestly, that's your problem. Password cracker utilities tend to be Windows-based since that's where most incidents of trying to (legitimately or not) break encryption happen.

You can either find the person who came up with the password in the first place, or find a way to decrypt it. It'll probably be easier to get some Windows machine. Heck, even emulation would do.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-12-11, 07:30

I'm kinda surprised that there aren't more simple cracker tools like this, and open source / crossplatform ones. They are limited enough in scope, yet challenging enough to prove / optimize / etc that it should prove a good computer science project.
Not to mention how many admins prefer non-Windows environments.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-12-11, 08:53

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised that there aren't more simple cracker tools like this, and open source / crossplatform ones.
John the Ripper is one such tool that has source available, if you're interested, but it's aimed more at finding a password to match a supplied hash.

Quote:
Not to mention how many admins prefer non-Windows environments.
How many admins ever need to rely on a password cracker, though?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-11, 08:57

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised that there aren't more simple cracker tools like this [...]
There are only so many "simple" ways to do this. You either use a list of common passwords to try to open the file or you rotate through the keyboard characters one at a time, going from a single character password to a password however characters long you want to wait for.

The list thing is fast but limited, the second is damn slow. It's easier to re-create the information or just do without.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
How many admins ever need to rely on a password cracker, though?
I've gone 30 years as a system manager (it's a VAX thing) with 25 years of that doing UNIX admin work without needing to crack a password.