AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

question about "Googling your date" article on CNN.com

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
question about "Googling your date" article on CNN.com
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-04-10, 01:15

Just read this article on CNN.com about how it's now standard practice in the dating scene to Google a potential date:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/04/09/g....ap/index.html

It didn't really say anything most of us didn't already know in the Google Era, but this one sentence was somewhat baffling:

Quote:
... She also had to contend with an on-again, off-again boyfriend who googled her on a daily basis to try and track her every move. ...
Am I missing something here? Unless someone tells you they Google you every day, how would you know you're being Googled every day? (Maybe the writer just wasn't clear enough, but the article makes it sound like this woman somehow discovered, on her own, that she was being tracked via Google, which seems dubious.)
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-04-10, 01:42

You can check referrer queries if they follow a link to your site from google. Just search your name.

I've found a few people looking for "me" but probably someone more famous only with my same name.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
apple007
BANNED

2007-04-10, 01:48

That makes sense, but if a person has no site of their own (i.e., no referrer logs), there's really no way to know if, or how often, someone is Googling that person, right?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-04-10, 01:52

Not really. If they had access to the computer, you could check the history. It boils down to where you basically need to stumble across a digital trail and analyze it. But those are long shots.

Then again, they could have blurted it out, but even that could be prone to exaggeration. I don't think google updates that quickly so it is a futile pursuit.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-04-10, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
That makes sense, but if a person has no site of their own (i.e., no referrer logs), there's really no way to know if, or how often, someone is Googling that person, right?

You know those shivers you get down the back of your neck sometimes? That's someone Googling you....
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-10, 06:16

Hehe. I just found someone with the same name as me in Northern Ireland. I thought I was unique. Saying that, he spells Bryan the other way.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-10, 06:32

I am absolutely the only person in the world with my full name. Makes life difficult.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-04-10, 06:43

Including, or excluding your middle name?

I am if you include the middle name. If you just use first and last, my nephew is named after me, but that's it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-10, 06:55

If you spell Bryan with a 'Y', I'm unique. I dunno if Brian has a middle name, but I do, so I'm uniquer.
mattf

2007-04-10, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
If you spell Bryan with a 'Y', I'm unique.
And dyslexic, shirley?

There are enough geeky 20-somethings with my name to make me utterly common.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-10, 10:04

Hm, this is news to me.

I did go out with a US Marshall a couple of times, and she had access to any record of a person you could imagine. Of course, I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record, so I said have a field day and see what you can find. Either she found something I'm not aware of, or she just didn't like me. After 2 dates, she disappeared.

Hm... kind of interesting what I find from me on the web. It just proves what a nerd I am really.

I had an old friend find my MySpace page this way recently. I would be embarrassed just to have a MySpace page, but it's rather spartan.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-04-10, 10:16

I was able to find some 40 references to myself on google. Mostly credits on websites that I have worked on.
Oh yeah!! It appears that I am also the Chief Executive of Manchester United Football Club!
My last name is very common across the pond.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-10, 10:58

My name is fairly common. I think my last name is only used less than "Smith" by a couple hundred. Even more if you go overseas where my surname is the equivalent of Smith (or so I'm told in Ireland).

If you were to Google it you wouldn't find me though, there's someone else out there who comes up when you search any variant of my name.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
rasmits
rams it

2007-04-10, 12:13

I've Googled dates before - Never found anything very interesting.

Actually one time I searched and found a newspaper article written about him when he was young. It was cute.

You had me at asl
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-10, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Including, or excluding your middle name?

I am if you include the middle name. If you just use first and last, my nephew is named after me, but that's it.
Excluding my middle name. Of course, that only serves to make me more unique.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-04-10, 19:44

If I google my name the first thing that comes up is a suggestion from google to add "murder" to the list. Nice.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-04-10, 20:18

I have a unique name, which I actually kind of dislike in this modern age. If I could, I would strike a lot of references to my name on the internet. Not because of anything particularly embarrassing or inappropriate just because there is only one person in the world with my name... me.

I generally find googling people to be pointless, since most people have common enough names that it is unlikely you find something about them, that being said, it can produce some limited fun. Seems like everyone is one myspace and 12 dating sites these days, and constantly filling out profiles, quizzes, writing blogs...etc. Googling a name is not likely to bring you any more information than any of these 'social networking' sites.
Dovek916

2007-04-10, 20:45

there are sites that you can " people search". so unlike google, it looks for housing info and telephone numbers and the like, it is creepy 'cause you can find your self and almost anyone you know. link to site

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-04-10, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovek916 View Post
there are sites that you can " people search". so unlike google, it looks for housing info and telephone numbers and the like, it is creepy 'cause you can find your self and almost anyone you know. link to site
Not me!
autodata
hustlin

2007-04-11, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Not me!
You are one of the few, although if you have never purchased a home and don't have records of your name in many systems then there won't be much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Am I missing something here? Unless someone tells you they Google you every day, how would you know you're being Googled every day? (Maybe the writer just wasn't clear enough, but the article makes it sound like this woman somehow discovered, on her own, that she was being tracked via Google, which seems dubious.)
No, you aren't missing anything. She must have found out through some sort of non-tech way.
apple007
BANNED

2007-04-11, 07:51

I never really thought about it, but I guess a person's name can really impact how they think about things. I'm the only person in the country with my name, so I've always just taken it for granted I'm easy to find online. I also took it for granted the first thing people do now when meeting someone new (whether dating, business, etc.) is head to Google, but it's interesting to see how some people are saying they don't even bother because they usually come up empty.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-11, 09:32

My girlfriend briefly dated a guy who ended up killing his roommate back in college. He was trying to leech off of her and stalked her before being sent away. He's tried to contact her from prison, sending letters to her parents' address. She's afraid he's going to try and find her when he gets out. (Surprisingly, that time isn't far away.) She is considering changing her name because of sites like the one posted above. She's scared to death of this creep.

She has a common name, but that site makes it easy to find her by narrowing results down by geographic region.

All this stuff is a two-way street.
autodata
hustlin

2007-04-11, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
She is considering changing her name because of sites like the one posted above.
It's really the only way. All kinds of major transactions will leave personal info in publicly accessible databases, notably gov't ones. Real estate transactions are one of the most common ways that your info will become accessible since they can be posted in a number of different ways (local paper, county clerk database, etc)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-04-11, 10:13

Quote:
ERIC SMITH - 46 Listings
Bwa ha ha ha.

Phear my anonymousness.
apple007
BANNED

2007-04-11, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
She is considering changing her name because of sites like the one posted above. She's scared to death of this creep.
Sounds more like she needs to start building a case for keeping him behind bars (e.g., letters to parole board) and doing things like getting a restraining order. She can change her name, but unless she cuts all ties to family, changes her SSN, etc., it's only a matter of time before this guy finds her again.

Sounds like a rough situation. Good luck.