AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Cat's Meow

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Cat's Meow
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-04-18, 08:03

My cat's name is Stimpy... he's got a belly and he's a bit stupid (but that's quite normal for males, isn't it). And... oh well... I love him anyways.

Every morning Stimpy wakes me up with a simple 'meow' & punching his paw on my cheek.

But yesterday his meow just stupified me... it sounded something more like 'Meapple' than 'meow'. Strange! He has never done that before! Never heard any cat say 'Meapple'...

Did you guys experience something that weird with your pets, or is it just me?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 08:45

One of my cats makes a wierd chattering sound when he sees a bird outside. We've had 9 different cats (4 right now), and he's the only one that's ever done it. His whole face shakes when he does it... it's great

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-04-18, 09:15

My cat does that too fcgriz! She also likes to sit on my shoulder and go for rides round the house - bit like a pirates parrott!!
Oompa Loompa

2005-04-18, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
One of my cats makes a wierd chattering sound when he sees a bird outside. We've had 9 different cats (4 right now), and he's the only one that's ever done it. His whole face shakes when he does it... it's great
I am amazed... almost seems like your cat is doing a mantra or trying to put some kind of spell on these wicked birds... never heard of anything like it.

And a cat trying to be a parrot? That's reassurring... god...
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-04-18, 12:12

Cats have various types of Meow. Basically they have 15 variants of meow who express differents things.

My latest cat, a blue british one, talk too much. whenever he is alone, he shoult some meow, in order that someone take care of him. That can be my other cat or othes members of my family.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 12:24

My cat has an entire *language* she likes to use, and yeah, she does the chirping thing when she's on the wrong side of a window from a bird. It's like she's so frustrated and worked up that all she can do is twitch. 'mek mek mek mek mek' = 'god I kill wanna stupid window yummy bird stupid window kill kill kill kill'

I get the yowls, the purrs, the meows, the cries, the whole range.

I *still* have no idea what the hell she wants most of the time.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 12:33

lol, I've had some very strange cats... we also had one a while back (he died about 6 years ago) that was taken from his mother too early, and he would try to nurse from the collar on a shirt. That was a little awkward

There was a very large bird in our yard once (I don't remember--seems like it was a hawk or something like that), and the clicking cat dove at the window to try to catch it... and slammed head-first into the window (he also doesn't realize that he doesn't have front claws and a bird that size would peck the hell out of him before he could get away). He is also occasionally chased by demons. If they aren't demons, I can't really explain why he runs around the way he does... it's like someone (or something) is chasing him... but he's the only cat running at all.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-18, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa (uncredited)
Did you guys experience something that weird with your pets, or is it just me?
Dog owners can supply you with an almost endless list of quirks, goofs and neuroses their pet exhibits.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 12:39

Yup, my cat has thudded against the screen door a few times. The screen is backed with a metal latticework, so she *really* can't get through, but man, she tries. She did it this morning when a chipmunk ran across the stoop. *THUNK*

Mine used to be an outdoor cat, so she's *very* adept at bringing down game. (I don't think even the biggest rabbit in our yard would stand a chance - she once brought home a squirrel bigger than she was, when she was about 8 months old.) A bad knee and one deaf ear later, and I'm reluctant to let her out in a neighborhood with not an insignificant amount of car traffic.
Oompa Loompa

2005-04-18, 12:50

'Yup, my cat has thudded against the screen door a few times...'

'Was taken from his mother too early, and he would try to nurse from the collar on a shirt...'

'And slammed head-first into the window...'

'mek mek mek mek mek...'

aaahw... aahw... poor cats... poor, poor cats...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 12:51

Quote:
'Yup, my cat has thudded against the screen door a few times...'

'Was taken from his mother too early, and he would try to nurse from the collar on a shirt...'

'And slammed head-first into the window...'

'mek mek mek mek mek...'

aaahw... aahw... poor cats... poor, poor cats...
They are not Nature's most intelligent critters.
Oompa Loompa

2005-04-18, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
They are not Nature's most intelligent critters.
How can you say that?! I heard that cats were extremely intelligent beings...

Well, It think I know what your cat meant with 'Mek Mek Mek Mek' ... 'Never mind, I'm with stupid'

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 13:16

Quote:
How can you say that?! I heard that cats were extremely intelligent beings...
Right, that's why mine keeps launching into the window and door...

Here's another one: cats back up with they feel uncomfy. If your cat is on the bed, facing the center of the bed, toss a towel over them. They will back up right off the edge of the bed. I've never seen a cat *not* do this. Even though their hind feet are obviously not getting any purchase, they just keep going.

And they'll do it every time.

They're cute, they're cuddly, and I love mine to death, but intelligent? Not so much.

Quote:
Well, It think I know what your cat meant with 'Mek Mek Mek Mek' ... 'Never mind, I'm with stupid'

*laugh*
Oompa Loompa

2005-04-18, 13:26

You are wrong Kickaha, but you are allright
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 13:31

Quote:
You are wrong Kickaha, but you are allright
I get that a lot.
Gargoyle

2005-04-18, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
'mek mek mek mek mek' = 'god I kill wanna stupid window yummy bird stupid window kill kill kill kill'
OMG, this is cracking me up! I am sure that's the exact translation!

autodata
hustlin

2005-04-18, 13:38

In my experience, cats are usually as smart as the people around them make them. The more you communicate with them as you would a person, the more they start to interact with you as if they are. If you actively give them brain teasers, they will learn how to solve problems. If you consciously create a subtle pattern and evolution to your communication with them, your interaction with them will become far more complex.

Last edited by autodata : 2005-04-18 at 13:47.
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-04-18, 13:39

Quote:
There was a very large bird in our yard once, and the clicking cat dove at the window to try to catch it...and slammed head-first into the window. <snip> He is also occasionally chased by demons. If they aren't demons, I can't really explain why he runs around the way he does... it's like someone (or something) is chasing him... but he's the only cat running at all.
Hmmmmmm.....hits head.....sees demons....nah, no connection.

No, actually cats do see spirits. It's a fact. And they are telepaths (although usually intolerably bored by our thoughts).

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-18, 14:11

Yeah, I see spirits too. They're locked in a cabinet right now.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-04-18, 15:17

I see dead people. Does that count for anything?
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-04-18, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I see dead people. Does that count for anything?
It just mean that you forgot to take your pills
elvia

2005-04-18, 15:54

We have 3 cats inside and another 6 outside that we feed. I have 2.2 achres, so they don't really go far. they love to chase (and eat) squirrels. The inside ones range from 2 to 18 years old. The oldest Sara can hardly walk anymore. They all wait outside my bedroom door til I come out in the morning th feed them. Henery (the youngest) walks around meowing all the time at night, don't have a clue as to why.... I have to lock him up at times so that I can get some sleep. Anyone want a Cat???
CitizenTony

2005-04-18, 16:56

Quote:
lol, I've had some very strange cats... we also had one a while back (he died about 6 years ago) that was taken from his mother too early, and he would try to nurse from the collar on a shirt. That was a little awkward
I had one, who also died a few years back, that did the same. Only he'd latch on to the nearest nipple. I will never forget waking up one night with a cat trying to nurse off of me. I still sleep with the covers tucked around me so my current cat doesen't get any ideas.

My current cat, Oly, is decently smart. The only thing he hasn't figured out as a trick is the laser pointer. He chases it around, and around, and around. Gets dizzy, and then starts again.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
In my experience, cats are usually as smart as the people around them make them. The more you communicate with them as you would a person, the more they start to interact with you as if they are. If you actively give them brain teasers, they will learn how to solve problems. If you consciously create a subtle pattern and evolution to your communication with them, your interaction with them will become far more complex.
This actually is true, but even with the stupid one. We give the cats a can of tuna every morning for breakfast (they all share one can). They all know when tuna time is. They're always waiting for my Dad outside his bedroom every morning, and they're never there super-early (they usually gather about 5-10 minutes before tuna time). As soon as Dad comes through the door, they all trot to the kitchen and go crazy until the tuna plate's on the floor. One of the four of them is kind of timid and doesn't like to compete with the others--and she now knows that she will get a small plate with a little bit just for her if she waits.

They seem smart... but then they whack their faces off the window and you know better.

Another cat quirk: after my brother moved out, our oldest cat (who has been gone for quite some time now) used to sit in his chair at the dinner table and just watch us eat. He would never beg for anything. He just loved to watch us eat. After my brother moved back in five months later or so, we brought another chair into the dining room for the cat. He watched us eat every night for about two or three years until he got sick.

Also, all of our cats will rub up against the window glass if you stand on the outside of the house and put your hand on the glass like you're trying to pet them.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-04-18, 22:40

One of my cats has this incredibly annoying, high-pitched meow. She kept peeing in the house, so now she's locked out to the laundry room and garage. She sticks her feet under the door and meows for hours on end. Kicking the door scares her outside for a few hours.

Once, when we moved from Wyoming to California, she was in a cat harnace and did a backflip two feet in the air.

My other cat brings home dead mice(we back up to a huge open space) and leaves them under the back deck, along with frogs and occasionally birds.
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-18, 22:58

Quote:
They all know when tuna time is.
What I'm talking about is waaaay beyond knowing when it's time for stuff. In fact, getting them too much into a routine like that is what makes them stupid, just like humans. Part of making a cat smart is changing its environment and schedule. By shaking things up, they have to learn to be creative.
Gargoyle

2005-04-19, 03:56

Some of you guys seem to know a lot more about cats than I do. I just got my first one a little while before Christmas. My GF and I went to the cattery to have a look and saw a few nice fluffy kittens. That night a woman knocked on our door and asked if this was our cat. It had been following her for the last 10 mins and she wanted to goto the shops but didn't want to lead the cat to the main road.

We took the cat in for 10 mins to let the woman get away and then went for a walk round the block to see if the poor thing would find a driveway it recognised. It followed us for 15 mins so when we got back home it got some tuna and a blanket to sleep on.

The following day I went to the vets to discover that "it" was a 7 month old "she" and no ident chip or other forms of ID. After a few days I called back into the vets and there was no claim.

"Kink" (she has a lump and slight bend in her tail), is now my cat. So - to get back to where I started - any tips, good books, websites? I would like to train her a little but also just try and understand her more too.

My GF has this really funny habit of answering Kink's meow's with "Really?" and "Then what happend?"

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-04-19, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
My GF has this really funny habit of answering Kink's meow's with "Really?" and "Then what happend?"
I do that all the time - I hold long conversations with the cat. Drives my GF nuts.

I've also trained them to expect food when I sing the "Imperial March" from Star Wars. No, I can't remember why I did that, but it is funny.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-04-19, 08:52

lol, thats awesome! Perfect pavlovian response. you ever mess with them by humming it when youre not gonna feed them?
Bones3D

2005-04-19, 13:19

We have some unusual cats here. One which never meows, but only mouths it. (Like a whisper.) The other one only squeaks and chortles. Nothing wrong with either of them, as far as we can tell.

8==8 Bones 8==8