The Coffee Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Coffee Thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-06-24, 00:33

So I've been an occasional coffee drinker for a while, but I'm beginning to get into it more - I have a couple coffee snob friends and I think it's rubbing off on me.

Today I went shopping and got this press (which makes a very nice 12 ounces and takes under a minute to clean). I have a hand-crank burr grinder (which includes a coarse setting for press coffee), so I can buy whole bean. I picked up a pound of Good Earth Mystic Blend (dark roast), which smells awesome and (as my friend tells me) is fresh due to its oily beans. I've yet to try it - gotta finish up the stale crap my parents got a while ago - but I'm stoked nonetheless.

So what about everyone else - what do you drink and how do you make it? Any advice for someone just getting into the "good" coffee scene?

You ask me for a hamburger.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-24, 00:45

If you have to drink instant then the only one to drink is Nescafe Gold Blend.

Other than that I import this..

Marcilla

I actually get the beans and then grind it myself.

Every now and then a friend brings us some from Brazil. But I forget the name. However, it is awesome!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 06:10

abb, if NYish includes N of NYC (Westchestah), go to Coffee Labs in Tarrytown and get their house blend, whole bean. They roast in-house, it'll cost you about $12/lb, but it's phenomenal. As an expat Seattleite, I frequently have too much blood in my caffeine stream - they're excellent for correcting the problem.

I go for 1/2 Guatemalan, 1/2 Sumatran from Coffee Labs, medium grind in a heavy duty burr grinder, filtered water in an electric kettle, French press. I let the water hit just to the boiling point, turn it off, give it a 10 count, and then pour. That lets it drop temp a bit, down into the 195-205 range.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 06:36

Coffee is just nasty, but caffeine is the schiznits. After you put enough flavored cream and blue into the stuff, it doesn't really matter what the taste was like originally.

Have I mentioned I hate the taste of all Starbucks coffees?

real hackers don't use sigs
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-06-24, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Coffee is just nasty, but caffeine is the schiznits.
I'd say quite the opposite. I used to be a regular coffee drinker, but I stopped recently for some reason. It wasn't a conscious decision of any sort; it just happened. I woke up yesterday and decided that I wanted a coffee. It was a big mistake. For hours afterwards, I had a constantly dry mouth despite how many liquids I drank, I felt sweaty all over, I had serious jitters and felt generally uneasy. I like the taste of coffee, but caffeine seriously sucks. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-06-24, 08:27

Quote:
Coffee is just nasty
Win. Thread complete.
Chellovek

2008-06-24, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
If you have to drink instant then the only one to drink is Nescafe Gold Blend.
If I'm desperate enough for instant, I would suggest that Carte Noir is miles above the rest. Actually taste of coffee. A quick google suggests that those on the wrong side of the pond might be out of luck, amazon.com imports was the closest I could get!
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-06-24, 09:31

I love my coffee, I love Starbucks, and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Starbucks has their Colombian that is really good with something carmel, like flat out amazing. For a while I got that and then these little cookies what were like an almond sugar cookies topped with a dollop of caramel, that combo was just orgasmic in the morning. But they no longer have the little cookies, so I stocked up in jan/feb with 12 pounds of christmas blend, from starbucks. That is another one of my faves.

What is the addy of this coffee place in NYC, I am flying there on wednesday.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 10:00

I drank a lot of coffee until all our coffee places were pushed out by Starbucks. I went in one last week and they had a sign saying "Freshly Roasted on May 9th."
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-24, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I drank a lot of coffee until all our coffee places were pushed out by Starbucks. I went in one last week and they had a sign saying "Freshly Roasted on May 9th."
Yeah, that's not all that fresh. We have a local place in Ithaca (Gimme! Coffee) that's supposed to be amazing - their beans are roasted within 1-2 days of you buying them. I think I'll try that next, probably their Ethiopia variety which is supposed to have a blueberry aftertaste.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 11:13

I use the Bialetti Brikka for espresso shots, buy a whole bean mocha java blend from the Oren's by my office, and use an Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-24, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Win. Thread complete.

FAIL!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-24, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
That looks really swell - I'm looking for more consistent grounds than what's produced by the old hand-crank grinder in my kitchen (it's also pretty tedious, and I'm considering using an electric drill to speed up the process).

I'd love an electric burr grinder to take to school in the fall. Is there something comparable to the above-linked that's cheaper?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-06-24, 11:28

Quote:
Coffee is just nasty...
That just about sums it up.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
That looks really swell - I'm looking for more consistent grounds than what's produced by the old hand-crank grinder in my kitchen (it's also pretty tedious, and I'm considering using an electric drill to speed up the process).

I'd love an electric burr grinder to take to school in the fall. Is there something comparable to the above-linked that's cheaper?
I don't know. When I did grinder research on coffeegeek.com & elsewhere, the general consensus (in my hands) was that the Infinity was the bang for the buck conical burr grinder.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Yeah, that's not all that fresh. We have a local place in Ithaca (Gimme! Coffee) that's supposed to be amazing - their beans are roasted within 1-2 days of you buying them. I think I'll try that next, probably their Ethiopia variety which is supposed to have a blueberry aftertaste.
Yeah. I chuckled a bit when I saw the sign.

We have a Dunn Bros, and they're beans are good I hear (they roast in house and take them off the shelves after two days) but their espresso drinks always seem rather weak.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 17:04

Quote:
Coffee is just nasty,
Ur doin it rong.

Quote:
Have I mentioned I hate the taste of all Starbucks coffees?
Well, um, FUCKING DUH? Starbucks is swill. If that's your metric for coffee then no wonder you can't stand it. That's like using a 50yo crackwhore with one arm and emphysema to decide if you like sex or not. Ick.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-06-24, 17:06

I like espresso and occasionally will buy one after dinner, but other than that, only in New Orleans at the Cafe Du Monde. carbo loading beignets, after a late nite.
But unfortunately both alcohol and caffeine make me feel out of sorts in my advancing years.

Nowadays hangovers last forever, and coffee makes me as jittery as a butterfly on an electric fence*.

*dan ratherism

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-06-24, 17:19

Oh wait! get yourself a can of Chock Full O' Nuts!

Then settle in and listen to some fine jazz like Chuck Mangione, that's livin'!

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
k squared

2008-06-24, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Well, um, FUCKING DUH? Starbucks is swill. If that's your metric for coffee then no wonder you can't stand it. That's like using a 50yo crackwhore with one arm and emphysema to decide if you like sex or not. Ick.
Totally agree. My new favorite roaster is Intelligentsia (http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/). Whenever I see a shop brewing beans from them, I know it's a serious place.
digitalprimate

2008-06-24, 21:19

Quote:
Coffee is just nasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Win. Thread complete.
I approve of these replies and second them.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-06-24, 21:49

Coffee is awesome. I love it. I tolerate Starbucks but see them more like McDonald's. It's not that they are the best, they are just consistent. I do enjoy that as much as I know what my burger will taste like at McD's.

I'm still in search of good coffee though. I got a coffee pot that grinds my beans before brewing and really enjoy the results. I drink it black while everyone else in my family thinks I'm nuts. Oh well, their loss!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2008-06-25 at 09:32. Reason: Forgot the "not"
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 22:06

turtle, you may be able to get Counter Culture coffee there in VA. They're out of Durham, NC, and one of the best roasters on the East Coast.

Well heck, they ship now. (Even better - fresher than what you'll get in a store.)

So does Caffé Vita out of Seattle - when I moved to NC, I still had beans shipped from CV until Counter Culture came along.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-06-24, 22:15

My wife is the pickiest coffee drinker I've ever met. Nobody in our extended family even dares make coffee for her - she needs to do it herself. It then needs to go directly into the drinking cup or thermal carafe - if the pot sits on the burner for a millisecond after the brewing is completed, it needs to be thrown away.

She likes Buck's County Columbia Supremo. We get it at Harris Teeter, it may be available in other grocery chains.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-06-24, 22:52

Quote:
Starbucks is swill. If that's your metric for coffee then no wonder you can't stand it. That's like using a 50yo crackwhore with one arm and emphysema to decide if you like sex or not. Ick.
True, but they'll both do in a pinch.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-06-25, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Oh wait! get yourself a can of Chock Full O' Nuts!

Then settle in and listen to some fine jazz like Chuck Mangione, that's livin'!
and then you have another old man who thinks he likes, Kopi Luwak, and then they both find out there going to die. and then they travel the world... and then they die... and get buried at the top of a mountain... in a coffee can, "Chock Full O' Nuts"

oh, wait wasn't that a movie...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-06-25, 09:37

Quote:
turtle, you may be able to get Counter Culture coffee there in VA. They're out of Durham, NC, and one of the best roasters on the East Coast.

Well heck, they ship now. (Even better - fresher than what you'll get in a store.)

So does Caffé Vita out of Seattle - when I moved to NC, I still had beans shipped from CV until Counter Culture came along.
Thanks for the links Kickaha. I'll be looking more into them.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-25, 15:21

Quote:
Ur doin it rong.

Exactly. It's just really sad what marketing can do to the masses.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-06-25, 16:31

I don't drink coffee daily, more like a few times a year, but when I do it's almost invariably a Sumatra blend. There's something about Sumatran coffee that can't be beat or even challenged by South American grown blends, imho.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-07-13, 13:52

Here's a neat garage sale find...

Does anyone know exactly what this is, and what I can do with it?

I assume that it's some soft of espresso machine, as on the bottom it says "expresso [sic]" and "imported from Italy". Inside there's a heating element and reservoir at the bottom, and a perforated basket that sits about 2/3 of the way up. The top black piece has a perforated round metal disk that covers the basket in its entirety, and above that a metal tube connecting to the pour spout valve.

I've searched the tubes high and low, but haven't found any mention of this type of device (or how to use it).