Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone want to talk about the A-10?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone want to talk about the A-10?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-25, 21:30

Since we're talking about the A10, anyway, how about we aircraft enthusiasts talk about the real A-10. You know the one: That combat support fighter that is so frickin' ugly it's the most beautiful airplane in the world; the one designed for a single purpose—to carry the world's most powerful piece of arial artillery; the one stupid congress wants to kill off in a pretended need for that junker F-35 that doesn't work, yet costs 10x as much; the one the boots on the ground love; the one our local Air Guard is deploying oversees (190th Fighter Squadron, 124th Wing (Idaho ANG), Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho)—Godspeed!

I'll have to remember to post some pictures I took a few years ago while on a multi-day field tour of Gowen Field here in Boise (called Bosslift). What a hoot. I even got to fly the real A-10 simulator. Never gonna leave my brain.

I'm an airplane fanatic, mostly with military stuff. Our shop is on the airport's approach, so a lot of stuff flies over: F-15's, F-16's F-18's. Mostly, though, it's the A-10's since they are based here while the others mostly come out of Mountain AFB to our south. Even watched a C-17 on circular approach, which was awesome!

Anyway, chat if you'd like.

Neet fact: A-10's do not shed the GAU-8A casings. They are circulated back into the ammo drum and later recycled. The loading system is fun in pictures, but it's downright amazing up close and personal. The engineering in the entire system is incredible!

Quote:
That is one ugly airplane!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-03-25, 22:18

I remember it got a ton of good PR during the first Gulf War. Come to think of it that whole operation seemed to be a big commercial for the defense industry!

It was highly effective and durable. Unlike the trillion dollar piece of junk F35.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-25, 22:24

I have always loved this plane. The fact that it's a plane that was built around a gatling gun is amazing. I've never been able to see one up close, but I would certainly love to. Given the tasking for this plane it makes no sense to replace it with F-35.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-03-25, 22:30

I will talk about the A-10.

It is cool

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2016-03-25, 23:42

I haven't seen an *active* one in person, but living ten minutes from the National USAF museum, I've spent plenty of time up close with a retired one.

It may be ugly, but it's got this kind of "fuck you" look when viewed from the front. The gun is insane, especially standing at the nose and looking into the barrels.

Edit: Memory fail, they had one in the flyovers at the 2011 Freedom's Call Tattoo: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/donald...7629605550815/
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-26, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
It may be ugly, but it's got this kind of "fuck you" look when viewed from the front.
Exactly! Which is what makes the fool thing so beautiful.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-03-26, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I haven't seen an *active* one in person, but living ten minutes from the National USAF museum, I've spent plenty of time up close with a retired one.

It may be ugly, but it's got this kind of "fuck you" look when viewed from the front. The gun is insane, especially standing at the nose and looking into the barrels.
I recently rediscovered an awesome series of Podcasts from the National Museum of the USAF.

Although the old iTunes podcasts (and handy one-click Subscribe option) are no longer online, a little Google Fu turned up a page full of them as individual MP3 files and transcripts.

Behold... or should that be... Beheard!

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vis...s/Lecture.aspx

Though this page groups them by the year the Lecture was delivered (note that some years scroll internally), topics run the gamut from archival research on early aviation and pioneers from the dawn of flight, through to personal anecdotes and pretty amazing tales from pilots and others that were there when the fan started taking hits of... 💩

Specific tales of Close Air Support include this one from Iraq ... (I LOL'd at the bit about the A-10s about 1:07:00 in... ☠😂)
Combat Search and Rescue in Desert Storm - Col. (Ret.) Darrel Whitcomb
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Por...-28-095816-847

Lots of other gems I'd recommend ... Including unique historical perspective and quite the sense of humour from

The Sky is My Office - Aviation pioneer Col. (Ret.) Joseph Kittinger Jr. talks about his 29-year Air Force career, including his record-breaking high-altitude jumps.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Por...-28-113244-357

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.