Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Getting a pop-up ad in OS X

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Getting a pop-up ad in OS X
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 13:38

So, I did something stupid the other day. I was trying to get a piece of software to do some dumb task and in my haste/carelessness, during the install process(not app store) I clicked 'okay' to some other random BS software that was tacked on. I realized my mistake almost immediately and went to delete both bits of software as well as any preference files or startup items that they may have tagged on. But now I keep getting this pop-up that appears in OS X that says something about 'get your cloud backup software now!'

How can I go about determining where this is coming from and annihilate it from existence?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-11-14, 14:09

Have you looked in the system/user libraries for folders (application support most likely) baring the name of those apps? If it cannot be found there, it could be hard to find. Basically you'd need to go through each system folder until you find them. Did you check under system preferences to see if those apps installed any system extensions? It could also have installed through the notification system, so check that as well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 14:25

As dumb as it may sound, you may also want to check your User detail in Sys Pref and see if there is something in there marked for the user's start up.

If you did this with an Admin user then you may have much more work to remove it. If you recall the name of the software it said it was going to install then you can likely find a guide online for specifically removing that title.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 14:45

Yeah, I deleted all that stuff that I could find. In the preferences, in the User pane, in the applications folder. Can't think of anywhere else there could be something?

Also, there is a possibility this is actually part of the Amazon cloud drive app? Does anyone else have that app installed?
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 15:15

Download Little Snitch and take a look at what's happening on the network. I think it's free for a time period.

If you're getting pop-ups they're likely feeding from the web. Somewhere evil.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 16:44

I've done the Amazon Cloud drive app but don't recall what it installs too. I know it wants you to back up to it's service but don't recall any details beyond that now. I'll start it up and see what I can find out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 18:40

Ah, Little Snitch, that did it. There was one folder I missed when I was purging things and I guess that folder was also somehow the culprit. Thanks!
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 21:01

Actually... maybe I spoke too soon. Another (and different!) pop-up just appeared. Yikes. I can't seem to find what caused this one with little snitch though, but I think it is related. Hmmm
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 21:06

I think I've tracked down the last of it. Yeesh. Bit of a wake up call. App management has gotten so easy that I kind of forgot about this sort of stuff.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-11-15, 02:01

For as awful as their Windows software is, MalwareBytes has an excellent Mac program for adware. Used to be a program called Adware Medic that they bought out back in July. The program is exactly the same as it was as Adware Medic.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards