Mac OS X Lion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS X Lion
Page 1 of 29 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-06-06, 15:27

So i see from all the fighting about iTunes Cloud no one has started a Mac OS X Lion thread yet. [Maybe this is a true sign that Mac OS is less important than iOS these days..... ]

Well i have gone through the features page of Lion and it looks like a good upgrade of $29.99. Although Apple is keeping quiet about how it will be distributed. On the webpage it only mentions from the App Store but there must be a way to by it physically!! Imagine that download if you are only of a mobile broadband connection!!! I think Apple will have to physical copies relagated to the online Apple Store only and they will be $49.99 instead.

My big like of Lion is full disk encryption through FileVault 2. Also there seems to be a whole security theme run through the OS from the other features, which is good in these cracking/hacking days.

I am not so impressed by the iOS views in Mac OS but i am sure it will be good for the new iPhone users coming to the Mac. I mean LaunchPad?!?! I will never use that! And all the gestures... well they don't work on a mouse so they all go out the window too. I guess Apple's final aim is to have a common theme, if not exactly the same experience, through the OSs.

Anyone else have any other thoughts
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-06-06, 15:31

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Still going through all the new info.

As a freelance tech consultant, I'm not sure how I feel about not having a bootable disk.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 15:41

My first question was "how do you distribute this to 45 workstations?" Currently I have a couple images I made being distributed via OS X Server and netboot. But that's an entire image with settings and everything. What if I just want to upgrade 40+ clients to Lion?

Apple will probably have answers to this by July sometime, but it is something I was wondering about. Also, anybody know for sure if rosetta support is gone? We're still using Office 2004 here, which of course is PPC.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-06, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
My first question was "how do you distribute this to 45 workstations?" Currently I have a couple images I made being distributed via OS X Server and netboot. But that's an entire image with settings and everything. What if I just want to upgrade 40+ clients to Lion?

Apple will probably have answers to this by July sometime, but it is something I was wondering about. Also, anybody know for sure if rosetta support is gone? We're still using Office 2004 here, which of course is PPC.
rosetta is gone.

apple's website says the Mac App Store is your option if you want to be "one of the first" to get Lion. Sounds to me like there will be other options, just not from day 1.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-06, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post

Rosetta's gone, which means I'll lose my ability to keep using Adobe CS if I go to Lion (CS as in v1.0 from about 32 years ago ). That'll give me something to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Apple's website says the Mac App Store is your option if you want to be "one of the first" to get Lion. Sounds to me like there will be other options, just not from day 1.
Exactly. I think they'll have to provide more traditional, expected ways for people in certain situations and environments. They probably already have it all in place...they just wanted to float this "Mac App Store only" balloon out there today, for a few weeks, to see what the response would be.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-06, 16:20

Quote:
High-resolution cursor.
In Lion, the cursor is crisp and sharp at larger sizes.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-06-06, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Ha ha ha. I need Mac OS Lion now damn it. My cursor is far too blurry for 2011!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-06-06, 16:26

This thread seems a little premature to me.

I am also wondering about how they will go about the whole no install disc thing. Maybe the solution to the problem simply is to make a clone of your ideal HD and then copy that to the recipient Macs en masse. It would work nicely with SuperDuper! for me and Apple have never bothered us with serial numbers and similar shit. But then again, I only have one user profile to worry about. Maybe the compromise would be one image and then when the users type in their account credentials, then the generic Lion image would simply configure itself from some sort of centralized user directory.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think that's how we do with Windows at work. It just has some fancy thing to sort out the licenses too.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-06-06, 16:31

I whinged about it in the chat, but I really want a tabbed Finder. Am positive it is not coming because no one cares about Finder windows anymore, but it would simplify my life so much. (Also tabbed TextEdit and/or Pages.)

I share everyone else's misgivings about MAS only and what it means for reinstalls.

Beyond that little gripe, I can't wait to see it drop. I am very interested in autosave and versions and think that this is absolutely the most interesting feature. Resume also looks great.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 16:34

So.

Anyone else notice this little tidbit??

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

"Now you can quickly and easily turn just about any Mac into a powerful server that’s perfect for home offices, businesses, schools, and hobbyists alike. Lion Server is coming to the Mac App Store in July for $49.99."

$50.

Fuck to the yeah.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-06, 16:42

Wasn't it about $200 before? $199 or something? Or was it more than that? In any case, I know it wasn't $49!

In the AN iChat today, during the keynote, I asked the assembled nerdery what their predictions were for pricing/availability. I said $69 (or was it $79?) retail box, $29 Mac App Store. My $29 was, by far, the lowest price predicted. In fact, I probably came across as slightly insane, looking back.

A popular choice was $99/retail, $69/download. We kinda all went back and forth a bit, with people asking "how in the world do you think it's $29?" and I've just had this weird feeling...they did it before with Snow Leopard and it met with huge response. That, combined with this new delivery method (where you're able to save a tremendous amount on the download vs. boxed version of something like Aperture) just screamed to me "it's gonna cost lower than everyone's expecting...trust me". No friggin' way they were going to turn around and charge $129 for it...not after Snow Leopard and not with various examples in the Mac App Store pointing the way!

They finally said the price and I whispered to myself "holy shit...I was just speculating/wishing! They actually went and did it!"

No more talk about $69-99 after that.

Then we all tried to figure out how/why Microsoft sells about 18 versions of Windows, none of them starting below $100. And how much longer they can continue doing so with a straight face.

Hey, I would've been thrilled with a ~$69 Lion download price! So when that $29.99 popped up in the live blog, I nearly fell out of my chair. I knew it would be under $100 (just because). I just wasn't sure it would be that far under! A really pleasant surprise. And Steve is right...there won't be any reason why people can't/won't upgrade. It's affordable, and it's easy. Can't wait to see the "Lion adoption" numbers/charts at WWDC 2012. I have a feeling it'll be a record for OS X.

Anyway, long story short: it feels good to put on a blindfold, throw a dart and nail the bullseye in front of a bunch of other people.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-06-06, 16:47

Snow Leopard Server retails for $499.

Edit:

Last edited by FFL : 2011-06-06 at 16:48. Reason: Ha! I out-fast-typed Kick!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 16:47

Try $499.

And $999 before that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-06, 16:50

Holy hell on a biscuit!

Yeah, $49 is a drop in a puddle! I had no idea.

Apple is going balls-out. It's almost getting to the point *gasp* where you can't even trot out the old "but Apple stuff is so expensive!" arguments anymore, huh?

Once those myths and barriers are fully blown away, a couple of companies out there better watch their ass...they're *this close* to getting it handed to them. Apple's making it way too easy and enticing to ditch pain-in-the-butt, old-school approaches (or to simply tolerate bullcrap and hassle for no good reason). Lots of people are wising up and realizing they can look elsewhere...and still do everything they did before.

I said in the AN iChat earlier there's no reason for a sane, typical user shouldn't throw in with Apple these days. Across all their lines, hardware and software, you're getting the easiest, trouble-free system you can if you're the type who doesn't want to tinker and mess around (that's not even up for argument at this point, is it? ). That'll especially be true come fall, once all this stuff is in full swing.

I guess, for appearances sake, we can kinda pretend Microsoft and Google are bringing real quality and innovation to the table (and pose legit, genuine threats based on stuff that truly matters). But after a point, let's quit screwing around and just state the obvious...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 16:53

LOL remember when the industry pundits were saying Apple should go the full-on MS route and only sell software, and get out of the hardware business altogether because no one could make money at it?

Now they sell hardware, and barely charge for the software.

And they are the biggest frickin' company in the country, with what is *still* a relatively small marketshare.

Rawk.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-06-06, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So.

Anyone else notice this little tidbit??

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

"Now you can quickly and easily turn just about any Mac into a powerful server that’s perfect for home offices, businesses, schools, and hobbyists alike. Lion Server is coming to the Mac App Store in July for $49.99."

$50.

Fuck to the yeah.
any sign of whether that is in addition to the 29.99 or 50 bucks total?

not that it matters... either way, ridiculously cheap
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 16:57

In addition to, it seems. $30 for the base OS, $50 to get the Server App that sets up and enables the remaining widgets.

St00pid cheap.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-06-06, 16:59

Anyone else thinking that they might make a higher-priced version of Lion Server available for virtualization?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-06-06, 16:59

Just got done perusing the "other, other new features". Hard pressed to say this is anything but a great upgrade for freakin $30. I guess I'm going to have to try one of those gesture pads. They should make one that's built into an extended keyboard, since I need a new one of those too.

Some interesting bits:

•Quicktime now looks to be a viable screen recorder. Nice to see Apple
finally include some basic functionality there including click detection.

• It looks like Safari will have full support for HTML but I'm not 100% sure based on how they worded it. Hopefully will support the simple video embed tags, etc. More CSS3 too.

• Signatures in Preview potentially useful (mostly because Acrobat sucks - maybe the buggiest / wonkiest product Adobe makes).

• Group as Folder / Merge Folders in Finder seems pretty useful

• Sounds like Instant Wipe = zeroing out drive in 1/00000000000 the time?

• Automatic ePub conversion via Automator. Sounds like using Pages and Automator will be easier than InDesign.

Stuff I'm unclear on: does Airdrop literally detect all Wi-Fi presences around you... so if my neighbor has a Mac and wi-fi they're going to show up and vice-versa? Because that would not be cool security-wise, even though you have to verify you want a transfer to take place. I wouldn't even want my neighbors to know my Airdrop folder exists.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-06-06, 17:02

Quote:
LOL remember when the industry pundits were saying Apple should go the full-on MS route and only sell software, and get out of the hardware business altogether because no one could make money at it?

Now they sell hardware, and barely charge for the software.

And they are the biggest frickin' company in the country, with what is *still* a relatively small marketshare.

Rawk.

I also remember about 11 years ago before the bomb and before APPL went berserk like Billy Jack, that I was advised not to invest my spare 5 grand in Apple stock, but instead with three can't miss tech companies... that had very nice stock earnings to that date... and which no longer exist. I would've bought in around $17 I believe. Haunts me to this day. I'd have made over $100,000 with the stock splits I believe. Lesson to all you eTrade junkies out there: BUY STOCK IN COMPANIES WHOSE PRODUCTS YOU BELIEVE IN, don't listen to analysts and "stock trends".

...into the light of a dark black night.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Holy hell on a biscuit!

Yeah, $49 is a drop in a puddle! I had no idea.

Apple is going balls-out. It's almost getting to the point *gasp* where you can't even trot out the old "but Apple stuff is so expensive!" arguments anymore, huh?

Once those myths and barriers are fully blown away, a couple of companies out there better watch their ass...they're *this close* to getting it handed to them. Apple's making it way too easy and enticing to ditch pain-in-the-butt, old-school approaches (or to simply tolerate bullcrap and hassle for no good reason). Lots of people are wising up and realizing they can look elsewhere...and still do everything they did before.

I said in the AN iChat earlier there's no reason for a sane, typical user shouldn't throw in with Apple these days. Across all their lines, hardware and software, you're getting the easiest, trouble-free system you can if you're the type who doesn't want to tinker and mess around (that's not even up for argument at this point, is it? ). That'll especially be true come fall, once all this stuff is in full swing.

I guess, for appearances sake, we can kinda pretend Microsoft and Google are bringing real quality and innovation to the table (and pose legit, genuine threats based on stuff that truly matters). But after a point, let's quit screwing around and just state the obvious...
Paul, Paul, Paul...... since when do the "Apple tax" people need any actual reality to fuel their fires? Apple could simply give away everything they make from now until doomsday, and the Engadget comments will still be full of "sure, if you're mommy gave you enough money to buy your Starbucks accessory to do what I CAN DO FOR FREE!" Because this is a natural law.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-06-06, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Stuff I'm unclear on: does Airdrop literally detect all Wi-Fi presences around you... so if my neighbor has a Mac and wi-fi they're going to show up and vice-versa? Because that would not be cool security-wise, even though you have to verify you want a transfer to take place. I wouldn't even want my neighbors to know my Airdrop folder exists.
I was wondering the same thing myself.

Think about all the wi-fi users that might "see" each other in an airport terminal, or a Starbucks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-06, 17:13

Watching this keynote now. Steve's voice is shot, from the moment he walked out.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 17:13

I assumed that WiFi meant 'same LAN', not ZOMG every WiFi connection in visibility.

One item I just noticed:

"OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs."
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-06-06, 17:15

Quote:
I assumed that WiFi meant 'same LAN', not ZOMG every WiFi connection in visibility.

One item I just noticed:

"OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs."
So i guess it repartitions on the fly.

I'm pretty surprised it doesn't require a reboot, when even for a simple security update Apple typically requires a reboot.

Also... since it is Mac App Store "app", are software updates for the OS now going to be through the App Store?
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2011-06-06, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I was wondering the same thing myself.

Think about all the wi-fi users that might "see" each other in an airport terminal, or a Starbucks.
It uses the device's built-in wifi to create an adhoc network for the exchange.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
So i guess it repartitions on the fly.

I'm pretty surprised it doesn't require a reboot, when even for a simple security update Apple typically requires a reboot.

Also... since it is Mac App Store "app", are software updates for the OS now going to be through the App Store?
That's my guess. Apps auto-update through the MAS, and notice that the iOS over-the-air updates are now delta updates, not full ones, just like Software Update on the Mac. And those are through the iTunes Store/iCloud, presumably.

Everything's converging on one big happy ball of OMG.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 17:20

Oh hullo...

"Apple ID authentication for file sharing
An Apple ID can now be used to log in to a remote Mac for file sharing. If others need to access a folder on your Mac, you don’t have to create separate user accounts. Just add their Apple IDs to the list of authorized users, and they can log in with their credentials."
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-06-06, 17:26

Quote:
From http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/
"Looking for a fast way to share files with people nearby? With AirDrop, you can send files to anyone around you wirelessly — no Wi-Fi network required. And no complicated setup or special settings. Just click the AirDrop icon in the Finder sidebar, and your Mac automatically discovers other AirDrop users within about 30 feet of you. "
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-06-06, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
From http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/
"Looking for a fast way to share files with people nearby? With AirDrop, you can send files to anyone around you wirelessly — no Wi-Fi network required. And no complicated setup or special settings. Just click the AirDrop icon in the Finder sidebar, and your Mac automatically discovers other AirDrop users within about 30 feet of you. "
as a result of that, I don't think that this will work on macs that do not support WiFi Peer to Peer which I believe is a relatively new 802.11 feature. correct me if i am wrong.