Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WIRED Magazine
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-27, 09:52

Do you still read it?

I get them, but am not renewing.

That age has passed for me, alas.

I'm about to get rid of some recent years mags. A decade ago I imagined that I'd have a grand library of the magazines on a shelf one day.

Oh well.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-27, 10:12

I quit getting magazines altogether. I was getting some financial magazines and such but got to where I never even flipped through them when they came in the mail. I read most of my stuff online now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2014-09-29, 13:55

I'm still a print mag kind of guy. Guess I enjoy the high-resolution, portability and endless battery life.

Now that Macworld has kicked the bucket, I was thinking of finally going through and cleaning out my magazine shelves.
Never held on to WIRED, but kept all the Macworld and MacLife/MacAddict mags.

I'll probably hold on to the ones that feature new product intros. The one WIRED I did keep was the 'beleaguered' Apple cover.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-29, 22:20

I've bought a few issues over the years, but it's been quite some time.

I currently don't get any print magazines. I just poke around and read online these days.

The old man barber I go to always has stuff on his coffee table in the waiting area, and I always love flipping through National Geographic and Popular Science (or is it Popular Mechanics?), but not enough to subscribe.

I'll sometimes bring home Consumer Reports after my Dad and stepmom have read it.

My Mom will sometimes give me her issues of Reader's Digest, but, like many other magazines in recent years (Macworld, etc.), it's undergone some redesigns and changes for the worst. The overall tone/vibe has changed, the type of a bit larger (so the articles seem small and less to them). And the joke/humor sections just don't seem to be as funny as they used to be. And ohmigosh...the ads. You can't go three pages without some multipage prescription advertisement...that's definitely a recent development (past decade or so), because it was never this past before.

Trying to think of the last magazine I bought...I honestly can't remember. I'm sure it was Apple or guitar-related, but it's probably been 4-5 years. I bought an issue of Stuff about 10 years ago only because it had a Sheryl Crow cover and a big feature/photo layout. The greatest photos I've ever seen in my life.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-30, 03:16

Magazines used to be a great pleasure of mine. I subscribed to several, collecting them at my local newsagent, and bought many others that took my fancy. Art, aviation, cycling, photography, computing, fashion for a few years, etc.

The glossy full-page photos were just irresistible, and you couldn’t see anything like that on the web back then. With large colour-managed Retina displays and unlimited bandwidth this is just now starting to change, though I have long stopped buying magazines for other reasons.

With only one exception I can think of, every magazine I subscribed to got worse until it failed outright or I stopped buying it because its job was better done by some website or another (e.g. dpreview.com replaced camera magazines).

Why did magazines not up their game instead of handing their market to amateurish websites on a platter? Beats me!

The exception I mentioned is The Economist, which is so smart and well-written that it still makes the web look like a high-school project. I’m subscribed to that.

But the era of the glossy mag is over for me. Which is a pity, since the web hasn’t replicated the pleasure I got from reading a new magazine from cover to cover in three hours flat.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-30, 08:01

One of my favorite "glossy mags" was an import from the UK titled "T3".

I think that stood for Technology, something-else-beginning-with-T, and Tits.

ALWAYS some eye-candy on the cover.

It was Engadget and Jalopnik before either of those sites existed. Side note: I stopped going to Engadget when they switched to the giant header page. Their original blog-like format drove me to their site multiple times a day to stay dialed-in. That simple change affected how I keep up with technology. Funny, that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-30, 15:25

I always loved those Apple/Mac-oriented magazines from the UK. They were always so expensive, but I'd buy them every once in a while. The photography and content were always so good. They always struck me as being the way Macworld was 15-20 years ago...absolutely jam-packed and crammed with articles, reviews, features, photos, infographics, comparisons, editorials, etc. They'd take forever to read through, and I always liked the overall tone and writing (British slang or turns-of-phrase).

A record store near me used to carry the UK's Smash Hits magazine back when I was a teen and into Duran Duran and all that early/mid-80's Brit synth pop. I loved reading it because it was full of slang and phrases I'd never heard before. I'd pepper them into my day-to-day use when I could. I thought I was cool, me and my John Taylor rooster mullet.

I used to get a woodworking magazine years ago, but it's online now and so are all the plans or drawings. That's just how it's gone, so it's tough for me to get real excited about a physical, paper publication anymore. Most of them seem to have gone the Macworld route (low on actual, useful content, high on filler and ads).

Time marches on...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-10-03, 08:44

Gave up on Wired a long time ago. Towards the late 90s I got fed up with their constant "future-seeing" articles that claimed various technologys would (have by now) transformed the landscape of our lives. That we'd all be getting rich off the uber-boom stock market, our cancers cured, all be surfing on 10MB/s connections for cheap, yadda yadda. Goes without saying that they were close to being universally wrong. Completely taken in by their own love of technology, to the point of having no real perspective on the world or the history of technology and how it changes things and doesn't change things.

Probably stems from the fact that at the time virtually the whole staff were in their 20s and saw the world then as Gen Y social media disciples see it now.. "O-M-G dude once the internet of everything is connected, all information will flow with purity and purpose, hunger will cease, wars will end once the people's will is shared among us!"

The only (news journalism) magazine worth reading these days is the Economist but even that can be pretty dry. As a matter of pragmatism most days I read the BBC site to find out what the garbage mainstream American media won't cover for me. That and a bit of Al Jazeera every morning, although even their coverage has started to falter since their impressive intro about six months ago. I did enjoy their coverage of the short Israel Palestine war, as they actually made an effort to show what was happening from both sides, instead pretending like the whole things was some anti-terrorist operation and the only victims were the 3 Israelis that died (compared to the thousands of Palestinian civilians that died).

For kicks I held on to the Economist "World in 2014" edition, which came out begginng of the year with some predictive articles and whatnot... I am going to read it on Christmas to see how on-target they were, as I consider it to be the most well-informed batch of journalists inhabiting the planet currently. Let's see if they get more than half right.

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-10-03, 16:30

Please report back!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-10-03, 22:48

I shall, Cap'n, I shall.