AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Oscars, Steve Jobs, and The Incredibles

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Oscars, Steve Jobs, and The Incredibles
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-27, 20:30

So, The Incredibles is up for 4 oscars (best animated, 2 for sound editing, and 1 for best original screenplay) and I would bet that our main man, Steve Jobs, is going to be in the Kodak Theatre.

I think The Incredibles will win 1 or 2 oscars, most obviously the best animated feature award and maybe one for best original screenplay. I bet Jobs will be mentioned/shown at the Oscars, as he loves events like this, and he was voted the most influencial person in Hollywood.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-02-27, 20:40

Don't the presenter goodie bags usually contain iPods and assorted bling iPod gear?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-27, 20:57

In past years Stevie hasn't horned in on the fun because he's too far up the ladder to be considered part of the creative team. If Incredibles win he should sit in his swamp mansion and watch Independence Day, like the rest of us

whoops, they just won

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-27, 21:01

Robin Williams presented the Oscar to the Pixar winner. The Incredibles took the Oscar for best animated feature and the recipient mentioned "the holy trinity of Pixar" including Lassetar, Catmul, and Steve Jobs. He thanked Jobs for creating, "the best movie studio on the face of the planet."

Robin Williams said that Pixar people shouldn't worry because they have "iPod stock" to back them up.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-27, 21:08

I gave the Oscars 30 minutes. Completely unwatchable.

I'll pulling for Ms. Blanchett, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit through Chris Rock's nonsense and all the other lameness.

Good for Pixar, BTW!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-27, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I gave the Oscars 30 minutes. Completely unwatchable.

I'll pulling for Ms. Blanchett, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit through Chris Rock's nonsense and all the other lameness.

Good for Pixar, BTW!

I agree, it's all pretty shallow, militant black stuff and just kind of cynical. I'm just watching to see the Pixar prizes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-27, 21:19

Yeah. He's carrying on and acting pretty much exactly how I imagined he would, in that thread I started a week or two ago. It's not even funny, that's the saddest thing. Just not.

Sorry. I'm not looking to get your thread off-topic, Chris. In fact, that's my final comment on it.

Go Pixar. I'll read the winners tomorrow. I wonder if Apple will update their front page a bit, to "show off" their wins? Maybe have that head "Incredibles" guy (the dad) standing there, holding an Oscar statue? Would be kinda cute...

Is Jobs there, in the audience? Is he wearing jeans and a turtleneck, or did he actually get dressed up?

"Who are you wearing?"

"Target, horseface. Bug off."

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-27, 21:26

lol, I haven't seen Jobs yet. Dunno if he's there but I'll keep on the lookout.
SledgeHammer

2005-02-27, 22:27

Well, so far it's got two: Animated feature and sound editor. I haven't seen Jobs yet, though.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-27, 22:33

I thought that Chris Rock did what he was expected to do. What really screwed up this year's Academy Awards wasn't Rock, it was the way that they cheapened the awards by having clumps of people stand onstage together to see who won.

What is this? Friggin' American Idol?????

Then there were the "stay right there and we'll bring the award to you"....

What is this? Let's Make A Deal?????

I remember when the Oscars were CLASSY.

Captain Drew on Twitter
SledgeHammer

2005-02-27, 23:18

Well, Eternal Sunshine got best original screenplay, and it absolutely deserved it. So yay.
+++

2005-02-27, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
Well, Eternal Sunshine got best original screenplay, and it absolutely deserved it. So yay.
+1, a great film.

Personally I don't share the draw with events like these, if I liked a movie, it doesn't make it any better if an actor in it got an award. And I'm not one who's into the star gossip either.

The Oldest Mac Gaming Clan on the 'Net
1.5ghz 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-27, 23:27

" im just a girl from a trailer park who had a dream"

doesn't mean you still need to be from a trailer park....errr

yea jamie foxe! o wait....black audience shot oppurtunity! lets show every black man because a black man won!

happy he won, but i dont need a shot of spike lee because a black guy won
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-27, 23:48

It is important for Hollywood to maintain racial social segregation. That way when they are forced to write human drama they can draw on the same old stereotypes or if they are really feeling cheeky, reverse stereotypes...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-28, 00:10

Yes the Oscars are apparently worried about ratings so have changed the format...

wtf? Shouldn't the Oscars be independant of crap like ratings!??!?

When an industry award ceremony starts chaging it's methods so that it can garner greater public viewing figures... What next!?!? Awards for crap shows that were popular?!!? Oh, they did that this year already.....

Nice one Pixar.
And result for Clint. He is the man.

I think Leo (who I loathe as a person) did a great job on Aviator, but I do think he needs to earn his 'wings' (no punn intended) before he gets and Oscar. This is the first adult roll he has ever played. Jamie Fox did deserve Best Actor totally.

All in all a good set of results.

And yes the awards in the isles and the groups of people on the stage were embarresing. I did like the way Jeremy Irons dealt with the 'bang' from stage left whilst announcing his award... God knows what that was!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-28, 00:18

Did I imagine Oprah doing the black power salute? For real. Anybody ELSE do a spit-take when she did? If anybody ever had REAL power it's Oprah. I knew that I should have recorded the show.

What a great accomplishment for Jamie Foxx, he should be proud and honored and extremely wary of any scripts for freshly reimagined takes on the old show The Man From Atlantis.

I was happy to see that the only interesting character from The Incredibles, Edna, was a presenter tonight. I'm telling you, the movie should've been about HER.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-28, 00:19

I like how Jamie F. remembered his grandmother, and said he'd have plenty to talk with her about tonight in his dreams. I thought that was really sweet.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-28, 00:33

gg popular culture. yuo is teh sux0r.
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-02-28, 01:58

Not to be like this, but there seems to be a bit of racism in this thread. I'm not calling anyone out, it's just the feeling I got when reading these.

Quote:
gg popular culture. yuo is teh sux0r.
Ummm......What?

Quote:
wtf? Shouldn't the Oscars be independant of crap like ratings!??!?
I'm pretty sure that absolutely everything that is put on TV is done for ratings. That is just how it works.

-wuf

"Have you hugged your Mac today?"
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-28, 02:21

Sorry, what I wrote basically means "Popular culture sucks." I'm saying that generally what is popular is bad, and what is good is not usually popular. People prefer bad entertainment to good entertainment, maybe because it's popular, which in turn makes it more popular and worse.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-28, 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuf
Not to be like this, but there seems to be a bit of racism in this thread. I'm not calling anyone out, it's just the feeling I got when reading these.

Ummm......What?

I'm pretty sure that absolutely everything that is put on TV is done for ratings. That is just how it works.

-wuf
I agree with you about the race thing... Glad someone else raised that. It did seem that there was a lot of comment about it.. Why!??! If Oprah wants to do a black power salute.. Cool by me... And I think Chris Rock is a laugh.. Glad he was presenting.

Now with regard to the ratings and TV thing...
This is awards for movies in the Cinema. TV ratings have nothing to do with it. Further more it is the awards for artistic recognition.. i.e. Best actor, Best screenplay etc. etc. It has nothing to do with, nor should it have anything to do with ratings. The fact that the award ceremonies have been affected by TV rating concerns means to me that the wwhole process now is perilously close to being affected by TV ratings. This could lead (I don't think it necesarily has), but it could lead to academy decsions being tainted by TV rating concerns. That was my point.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-02-28, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Sorry, what I wrote basically means "Popular culture sucks." I'm saying that generally what is popular is bad, and what is good is not usually popular. People prefer bad entertainment to good entertainment, maybe because it's popular, which in turn makes it more popular and worse.
I thought my Klingon was pretty good but I didn't get that at all!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-28, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
I like how Jamie F. remembered his grandmother, and said he'd have plenty to talk with her about tonight in his dreams. I thought that was really sweet.
Yeah, I was slightly choked up when listening to him.
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-02-28, 09:52

I second (well, third) that thought......He did go from pretty funny to pretty sad kinda quick though.....That part where he was like, "and when i would act the fool....she would beat me!" was funny as hell I thought....

He does do a great impersonation of Ray Charles, too.....

Mad props......

"Have you hugged your Mac today?"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-28, 12:46

I don't think you had any racism in the thread - culturalism absolutely, which can give way to racism if allowed. Certainly none of my comments were intended in a racist manner, but I can't tell anyone how to interpret what I meant unless I'm painstakingly clear and verbose and even then misunderstandings can happen.

I'm betting that this same debate is happening elsewhere because I listened to it happen this morning on a local whitebread radio station. Some asshat called in with an obviously racist slant and the discussion that followed between a subsequent caller (who was a black woman) and the morning crew (3 white, 1 black), ran all over that territory that we all dislike treading.

The man who brought it all to a close was a guy in the station (maybe a DJ at another station broadcasting from the same facility? He sounded like a Reverand) who happened to be black. He brought it back to the fact that everyone who'd been talking (with the exception of the first asshat) was striving toward understanding, all from different cultural and experiential backgrounds.

It was silly that it happened, was frustrating that everyone had to talk around it so much and is exactly what happens when someone breaks the spell and points out that we happen to have different shades of skin, ways of watching movies, doing funerals, slimmer noses, wider ears, whatever.

Stars On Ours.

Go Jamie Foxx!

And what was the stupidest moment of the night? Anyone?

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-28, 12:53

I'm so happy Foxx won. I believe he truly deserved it. The fact that he's been so gracious and humble (and seems to have his head on straight) through this entire award season just makes me like him more.

When I saw him in that FX movie "Redemption" earlier this year, that was the first time I've ever seen him in a serious role. Then "Collateral" came (which I praised here, mostly his performance). He gets to cap off a wonderful year in quite a neat way, winning a Best Actor Oscar.

Good for him!

And my girl, Cate Blanchett...what can I say?

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...hlight=Aviator

Amazing foresight and pearls of wisdom from Yours Truly, written two months ago:

Quote:
However, in my opinion Cate Blanchett stole the movie as a feisty, earthy young Kate Hepburn. She looked it, had the clipped New England quack voice down and her hair, make-up and wardrobe really sealed the deal. Easily one of the most dead-on, fun-to-watch portrayals of a famous person I've ever seen in a movie. In fact, if she fails to wind up with a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination, the system is truly screwed. She was awesome, and quite sexy in a quirky, tomboyish kind of way. Her parts in the film were easily the best.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-28, 13:00

Foxx deserved his award, but I think Scorcese was robbed. He's 0 for 5!

Stupidest moment of the night? Chris Rock's quip about Bush's election and how it compares to a hypothetical retail war/economy. Rock left out one major thing; he should have said that there were millions of Gap hostages freed from the Banana Republic.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-28, 13:10

Don't start.

You'll take your OWN thread straight to hell...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-28, 13:52

The best quote of the night that I read was from Chris Rock, when speaking about the Award program's "new traditions" of the onstage clumps and the delivered-to-your-seat presentations.

Next year they're going to give out the Oscars in the parking lot," he said.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-28, 14:01

I caught the ending, and saw Sean Penn "explain" who Jude Law was (in response to Rock's opening monologue). While I appreciate anyone giving Chris Rock a bit of a well-deserved tweak, Sean Penn just comes off so humorless and dour that I can't stand to watch him for more than a few seconds.

He could've done that in a way that screwed with Rock AND made him not look so petty and ultra-serious, incapable of a chuckle.

SO serious, all the time. Just a grumpy old fart in a young man's body. Everytime I see him somewhere, on some show or interview, all he does is smoke, give terse answers, shrug a lot and never smile. What a glum downer he must be to be around. Poor Robin...

I can't believe he's the same guy that played Jeff Spicoli.

I guess that's why they call it "acting"...