AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

First Person Shooters Anonymous

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
First Person Shooters Anonymous
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-11, 09:41

Are you tired of feeling the shame associated with not playing Minecraft? ...weary of the disapproving looks from friends and family? Are you fed up with the hurt and low self esteem that comes from your Facebook and Twitter "friends" relentlessly mocking you for having no Minecraft knowledge? Well this thread is for you!!

Grab your Carbine, sling an RPG over your shoulder and blow shit up! YAH! We HERE at FPSA believe that in today's modern life, a game should provide some level of revenge and catharsis for all that you endure. As well as realism! Sure COD4 is like 2 years old now and there's nothing new in sight from Aspyr except lame Star Wars rehashes and CIV games... but COD4 is just that good. Pop in your DVD, drag the folder over and start anew!

We're coming for you, you little square-headed Minecraft bitches! No trilinear filtering for yoU!

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2011-04-11 at 14:54.
Freewell

2011-04-11, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Are you tired of feeling the shame associated with not playing Minecraft? ...weary of the disapproving looks from friends and family? Are you fed up with the hurt and low self esteem that comes from your Facebook and Twitter "friends" relentlessly mocking you for having no Minecraft knowledge? Well this thread is for you!!

Grab your Carbine, sling an RPG over your shoulder and blow shit up! YAH! We hear at FPSA believe that in today's modern life, a game should provide some level of revenge and catharsis for all that you endure. As well as realism! Sure COD4 is like 2 years old now and there's nothing new in sight from Aspyr except lame Star Wars rehashes and CIV games... but COD4 is just that good. Pop in your DVD, drag the folder over and start anew!

We're coming for you, you little square-headed Minecraft bitches! No trilinear filtering for yoU!

Now why in the world would anyone waste time making fun of you for not playing minecraft?!?

Oh... And BTW... You really are hilarious!!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-11, 11:46

I'm deep in the world of Mass Effect 2, which I guess is an action-RPG. Is that close enough???
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-11, 11:50

Is it Permitted to join both? Admittedly my FPS stuff is on Xbox, but I do love Black Ops.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-04-11, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I'm deep in the world of Mass Effect 2, which I guess is an action-RPG. Is that close enough???
Third-person. And not really a shooter either.

That said, I started ME2 yesterday and thus far love it. Although I'm having trouble figuring out where to go with my character. For class, I chose biotic but haven't done a whole lot of specialization beyond that--about equal in terms of paragon/renegade balance.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-11, 12:58

You really should pick one or the other - either paragon or renegade. It'll give you some additional conversation options to help persuade people of what you'd like them to do. (I really need to finish that game...)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-11, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
Now why in the world would anyone waste time making fun of you for not playing minecraft?!?
You're right; I'm beyond reach / hope.

Quote:
Oh... And BTW... You really are hilarious!!
Glad you think so... as long as you don't mean hilarious as in laughable.
I just wish more people agreed with you besides my immediate family, and even half of them don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Is it Permitted to join both? Admittedly my FPS stuff is on Xbox, but I do love Black Ops.
As long as you don't bring an axe that looks like a heavily oxidized spoon with holes in it, all are welcome. Also you console people have to be watched at all times.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-11, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Third-person. And not really a shooter either.

That said, I started ME2 yesterday and thus far love it. Although I'm having trouble figuring out where to go with my character. For class, I chose biotic but haven't done a whole lot of specialization beyond that--about equal in terms of paragon/renegade balance.
I called it an action-RPG, that part is right; it still involves shooting when you come down to it. As far as FPS vs. 3PS, it's all the same to me. Probably like 3PS better because of more peripheral vision.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-04-12, 09:33

Sorry, Moogs, but I have a console—it's an Xbox.

<cowers in shame>

But, hey…I'm playing a first-person shooter, AND I'M **** PROUD OF IT, OK?! Oh, and I play Halo CE on my Mac…a lot! So I guess you can consider me just half-baked.

By the way, how in the **** does anyone beat Reach on Legendary?

Oh, and all you Minecrafters out there…thanks for not clogging up all the other threads with your good advice and witty comments. Oh, and welcome to the world of addiction.

Now, where's my controller…

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-13, 08:41

You know what's fun? Starting over in COD multiplayer and rolling through the rankings about 5x faster than you did the first time you played it. Also I now have a decent wireless gaming mouse and am used to the WASD setup, which helps a ton.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-13, 08:51

Is this thread appropriate for me to say the following??

I dreamed about Minecraft last night.

Digging and stacking.
Walking and climbing.
Jumping and looking all around.

ALL NIGHT LONG.
Every once in awhile I'd stir and realize what was happening and turn over... and go right back into stacking and chopping, etc, etc.

I know these games are addictive but combined with the frequency I've been thinking about the game in waking hours I've decided to let myself have certain Minecraft nights... and today/tonight will not be one of them.

O.o

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-13, 11:51

I've dreamed where everything was built out of blocks too... its sick. But it stopped after I chilled out on my play time.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-04-13, 11:52

I'm really late to the COD games. I have COD3 and 4 and am somewhere in the middle of 3. I'm making myself get through 3 first for fear that once I start 4, 3 will lose interest. Luckily for me, I picked both of them up pretty cheap (used).

Is there any point to get any of the others?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-13, 11:56

I haven't played Modern Warfare 2 on single play - just feels like beat one beat em all to me.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-13, 11:59

The only Minecraft related waking-dream I had was early on I would look down dark hallways and thing that they need to be lit up to prevent creepers from coming. But I haven't had a minecraft dream proper, no stacking, digging, tnting etc. It just doesn't get into my head...

On the other hand, when building on the map I can easily envision what it would look like in real life...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-04-13, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Just when I thought there was a safe place, you come tunneling up under my feet!

Oh, and in response to your dream issues…it's okay! Hell, I see Grunts in my dreams. Little bastards are everywhere with their "die, human" garbage. So I take 'em all out—to dinner, usually—and the waiter is always a Gold Elite who chops me in half and serves me to his Hunter friends over in the bar.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-13, 13:05

I had to take the garbage down to the street the other night and on the way back up to the house I was skittish as hell, looking for creepers!!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-13, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Just when I thought there was a safe place, you come tunneling up under my feet!

Oh, and in response to your dream issues…it's okay! Hell, I see Grunts in my dreams. Little bastards are everywhere with their "die, human" garbage. So I take 'em all out—to dinner, usually—and the waiter is always a Gold Elite who chops me in half and serves me to his Hunter friends over in the bar.
Did you explode like a gruntpacolypse style party favor when they cut you open ?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-04-13, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Did you explode like a gruntpacolypse style party favor when they cut you open ?
With confetti and everything! And then they hid my skull on top of a building in some dusty, old town!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-14, 08:14

Quote:

I dreamed about Minecraft last night.

Digging and stacking.
Walking and climbing.
Jumping and looking all around.

ALL NIGHT LONG.
Every once in awhile I'd stir and realize what was happening and turn over... and go right back into stacking and chopping, etc, etc.

I know these games are addictive but combined with the frequency I've been thinking about the game in waking hours I've decided to let myself have certain Minecraft nights... and today/tonight will not be one of them.

It's pretty clear to me that you need to blow something up with a C4 bundle. It's the only therapy that will cure you of your nightmares. You haven't known joy until, in the midst of a team death match three enemies file into a room where you boobie-trapped the ceiling with C4 and, you click the trigger and watch them all disintegrate into nothingness. Ahhh. Good times. If only you had C4 in Minecraft, you wouldn't have to dig with shovels or run from little sissy-spider-mobs.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-14, 11:36

C4? But in Minecraft we have crates of TNT!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-14, 11:45

Brad, could you make a pressure plate trigger TNT in minecraft???

O.o

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-14, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
C4? But in Minecraft we have crates of TNT!
And if you're like me, you accidentally place it where you meant to place glass over lava, which then flares and ignites the TNT, causing lava to go everywhere.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
The only Minecraft related waking-dream I had was early on I would look down dark hallways and thing that they need to be lit up to prevent creepers from coming.
YES.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-14, 11:57

Quote:
Brad, could you make a pressure plate trigger TNT in minecraft???

O.o

Remember when I set off like ten of them in the desert simultaneously? That setup used a floor pressure plate to trigger detonation. So, yes, that means you can set TNT traps.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-14, 13:09

Guys, stop being mean and junking up the FPS thread with Minecrafting....
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-14, 15:39

What? My bow & arrow don't count?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-14, 16:05

Quote:
What? My bow & arrow don't count?

Only in Turok.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-14, 16:09

Turok... omg ! I loved doing some headshots with the bow on those poor dinos. One of the rare game I liked on the N64 (Played it on the pc too back then...)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-04-24, 15:09

So, here's a question: How in the hell does one pass Reach on Legendary? On Normal, I nailed an Elite with no less than 20 head shots and he keeps bouncing around like a rabbit.

Why do these game developers make the game harder by making your enemies impossible to kill whilst you fall dead with 2 shots to the foot? Why take the lazy road? Why not build really good AI into the game? Make the enemies really smart, rather than impossibly strong? Ugh!

I think they flat out nailed it with Halo: CE, and then fell back on their old, lazy ways with every other Halo game. Just pisses me off!