User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

web cam question?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
web cam question?
kjohnson

2007-08-13, 20:41

what is the best site through whcih i can use the web cam on my macbook and communicate with friends/family. i already know about the yahoo messenger, is this the best one?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-13, 21:11

You wouldn't use a "site". It's a program that you'll be using. Yahoo! Messenger is just a program that happens to use Yahoo! ids to connect you to people. That said, you need to tell us a bit more. What type of computer are your family/friends using? Do they have AIM screennames? MSN screennames? Are they willing to get one if they don't already have them? (They're free, you just need to sign up.)

If they're also on a Mac, you can use the built-in program called iChat to talk with them once they get an AIM screen name (go to aim.com to sign up). Skype also has video chat and it's cross-platform, so you might want to consider that.

Regardless of what service you'll be using, you'll all need to have screen names on the same service. But avoid Yahoo because it sucks on the Mac.
kjohnson

2007-08-14, 01:37

they have a regular pc. they would like to video chat so i assume getting messenger or something will be fine. what webcam would you recomend for them. also is there a mic in the macbook or would i have to just type to them.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-14, 01:52

The MacBook does have a microphone.

Your best bet software-wise is Skype. iChat has a nicer interface, but can be more tedious to set up, and Yahoo! Messenger is neither as nice nor as easy.

Hardware-wise, just about any regular USB webcam will do, but keep in mind that you do get what you pay for. Your average webcam retails for around $30, but its quality will probably be nowhere near that of your MacBook's built-in iSight. So, if that's a pressing issue, spend a little more ($50-70ish) and should get much better quality.

Keep in mind that with video and audio chat, a good connection will also help dramatically: high upstream bandwidth and low latency make a lot of difference.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-08-14, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hardware-wise, just about any regular USB webcam will do, but keep in mind that you do get what you pay for. Your average webcam retails for around $30, but its quality will probably be nowhere near that of your MacBook's built-in iSight. So, if that's a pressing issue, spend a little more ($50-70ish) and should get much better quality.
Does this mean that the Macbook's internal cam won't work with Skype?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-14, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
Does this mean that the Macbook's internal cam won't work with Skype?

What made you think that? I was referring to hardware for kjohnson's friends and family, not for the MacBook. The built-in iSight will work great with Skype, Yahoo! Messenger and iChat.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-08-14, 16:47

Phew! Misread. Sorry.
kjohnson

2007-08-15, 15:58

thanks guys appreciate it