Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Original iPad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Original iPad
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-05-02, 10:02

I just acquired a used iPad 1. Have to say I'm very impressed, having had a smaller Android tablet for some time, it's a world of difference. No wonder these things have outsold every other abortion tablet on the market. I have looked at quite a few, and the only ones anywhere near the iPad are either as dear or even dearer.

How did Apple get this so right and yet everybody else so wrong? With the possible exception of Amazon.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-03, 09:52

Yeah. The original iPad still holds up pretty well. My wife has one (a gift from me) and she still loves it. Somehow Apple just got it right.

It makes you wonder though, how much they can really improve it. They have reduced the computer to its most elemental level in an elegant, hand-held, functional design. The iPad 2 and the current iPad were just evolutionary steps forward and maybe they had to be, since there is maybe not much room for a major redesign.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2012-05-03 at 14:25.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-05-03, 12:09

It's the ecosystem, and engaged developers from the iPhone camp that were ready to move to tablet-sized apps, thanks to a clearly laid out API and few resolution sizes (3 when the iPad 1 was released) compared to Android.

Also, Android isn't Google's product, ads are.

All IMHO, of course.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-03, 13:49

No, you're dead-on. It's all those things, and others. People who look solely at hardware specs or "feature checklists" are among the world's biggest point-missers.

It's a lot of little things working in Apple's favor, many (most?) of which can't be replicated by the competition (at least not overnight), and can't be replaced with hype and sloganeering.

And it can't be as easy as it looks, otherwise, after two years (five if you count the iPhone) surely the others would have their versions of it well in place.

Apple, over the course of a decade, built these pieces slow and small...portable devices with good battery life that are very easy to use, a store that is easy to navigate and buy from, top-notch in-house web browser and mail client, embracing/promoting the whole "digital lifestyle" thing (photos, video and music) well before we took all those things for granted, making these devices easily connect and sync to our computers, etc.

It wasn't as though Steve just walked on stage two years ago and said "here's the iPad", along with all the other stuff mentioned above. The iPad was built on all that.. a solid, decade-long foundation of software, syncing, ease-of-use, strong connection between the hardware and software, proven online music and app stores and the rest.

All under one roof.

As with the computer side of things, I believe that is Apple's true strength and their ace-in-the-hole that others can't easily copy or adapt. When you've got several different companies making the hardware, the OS, key software, etc., there's no way in hell it's going to be as simple, streamlined and hassle-free. It just can't, I don't care what the geeks, tinkerers and "open" crowd all say...they don't - never have, and never will - represent the wishes and desires of the regular "just give me something that works" consumers.

I know a lot of iPad (and iOS in general) owners/users, and not a single one has ever bent my ear about "openness" or Apple's "oppressive walled garden" and all that. Real people couldn't care less...they know what works, and what isn't a pain-in-the-ass to own.

"Oppressive" is buying a supposed cutting-edge piece of tech and, for reasons completely stupid and beyond your control, you're not able to update its OS in any sort of easy, reliable fashion. You get your Mango Swirl OS pre-loaded, and six months later you can't update to Nectarine Cobbler or whatever the hell it'll be called because of reasons nobody can ever make clear to you...

It really is that simple, when you strip everything away.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-03, 13:57

I love going off on a Thursday afternoon.

Enjoy your iPad, g.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-05-03, 14:41

I'm still rocking (and loving!) my launch iPad, but the new iPad has caught my eye. I think I'm going to try to wait one more year before upgrading, though. Hopefully by early 2013 they'll be able to combine the new iPad's guts with the thinness and lightness of the iPad 2.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-03, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
No wonder these things have outsold every other abortion tablet on the market.
This may be another reason why the iPad is outselling them.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-05-03, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Hopefully by early 2013 they'll be able to combine the new iPad's guts with the thinness and lightness of the iPad 2.
If they could get the battery life of the first two back I'd be happy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-03, 17:20

Is it not? I thought the numbers were the same? Or were they fudged a bit?

As for the iPad 3 (I know...whatever...new iPad), either I'm going blind or I'm not as easily wowed. There's no way I'd skip a $349 refurb iPad 2 to pay $499 for the Retina Display. Sorry, I'm not that bowled over by it. I keep waiting to be, and I keep thinking "I must be looking at it wrong...".

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-05-03, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I love going off on a Thursday afternoon.

Enjoy your iPad, g.
Always enjoy reading your rants.........sorry posts!

Thanks, am using iPad much more than I thought I would.

I looked at the iPad 2 and 3(new) and I must admit whilst the display was better, I was not as impressed as i expected to be.

I am when funds allow considering buying an iPad 2, and passing the 1 on to the wife.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-03, 18:16

I agree that the progression as between the three iPads is not as incredible as one might think. And that is not a criticism of Apple, but maybe just a reflection of the basic reality of the design, as I said in my first post above.

I wonder what the current sales figures are as between the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Anyone know?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-05-03, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Is it not? I thought the numbers were the same? Or were they fudged a bit?
Theres a noticeable difference in real world use from what I've read. Maybe others could chime in.

Totally agree about the iPad 2 as a great value. I don't think I could justify the new one though the extra RAM would be nice.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-05-03, 20:25

In my extensive use of the first iPad and the new iPad, I would have to agree that it feels like the iPad 1 had better battery life. However, I'm not sure about that because I know I use my new iPad quite a bit more for reading than I did the iPad 1. That is, it's replaced my Kindle for night reading and any laptop use I ever had for surfing at the end of the day.

The combination of a much more readable screen at regular zoom and increased RAM make it a better reading device than ever before. Because I use my new iPad at least 6 hours a day, usually more, I feel like I am consistently needing to charge at the end of the night. I could usually get away with skipping a night with the iPad 1, but again, it's probably because I didn't use it as much.

In short, I am extremely pleased with the new iPad. I don't attach to tech stuff very easily but I am very attached to it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-05-04, 11:36

There is definitely less battery life with the iPad 3 compared to either of the previous iPads. It's also the first time where people are actually comparing battery life based on screen brightness settings. This was not an issue with the earlier iPads.

Also, recharge time is hours longer due to the larger battery in the iPad 3. If the 32nM chip in the updated iPad 2s is any example (Anandtech benchmarks show a 15-30% battery life improvement between the old and new iPad 2), Apple will have better battery life in the next iPad.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-07, 14:19

Just a quick heads-up, you can now pick up a refurb original-gen iPad for as low as $279 from the online Apple Store. The iPad 2 is down to $319, too.
JohnnyTheA

2012-05-07, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Just a quick heads-up, you can now pick up a refurb original-gen iPad for as low as $279 from the online Apple Store. The iPad 2 is down to $319, too.
Thats a pretty good deal. I bought my original the first day they hit the shelves. I love buying new Apple products but just can't seem to find an excuse to get the newer models. I don't need a camera, and I haven't found anything lacking in the one I have. It runs all the apps I want to run. When the battery dies, I will get the new one but I might be tempted to get an older model...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-08, 02:54

I love that they dropped the refurb 2 down to $319. A $30 drop out of nowhere. Bear in mind that still includes a new battery and outer shell, so a very sweet deal on, IMO, the perfect iPad.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-05-08, 07:29

Is it me? Or does anyone else prefer the square edges of iPad 1 to the round edges of iPad 2?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-08, 11:04

What little I've used each, I definitely prefer the rounded iPad 2 design. I don't own either version, so this is just random usage of friend/family iPads, or time spent with in-store demo models. I like the soft, rounded and thinner design of the 2. By far.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-05-08, 13:25

I favor rounded edge. Square edge was a little hard on my dainty hands. Then again, now that it is rounded, the top edge (where the glass is) now cuts into my hands a little bit.

User formally known as Sh0eWax