User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

XBMC on AppleTV2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XBMC on AppleTV2
ironlung

2011-01-21, 18:57

I am surprised no one has posted comments regarding XBMC, now available for appletv2. Has anyone tried it yet? According to engadget video playback at 1080p seems choppy. Personally I am excited about this... the cheapest xmbc player available!

I am thinking of waiting for the next iteration of appletv and putting XBMC on it. So then finally I'll be able to play any video file that I want, irrespective of codec.

Any one brave enough to try XBMC on AppleTV2 and posting your impressions please?

Last edited by Brad : 2011-01-22 at 02:59. Reason: XBMC, not XMBC
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-01-22, 02:40

Why is XMBC good?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-22, 02:58

It's XBMC, not XMBC. The name is an acronym for Xbox Media Center, it's original incarnation.

XBMC is a mature media center application that has a customizable UI, supports many media formats, allows you to stream from network filesystems, can play CDs and DVDs directly (including from images or ripped folders), etc. etc. There's a lot it can do.

http://xbmc.org/

Some screenshots of the app in its default skin:

http://xbmc.org/skins/confluence/

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-01-22, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Why is XMBC good?
It gives users more flexibility to play other codecs and such. Less tight integration with iTunes required.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-01-22, 06:37

Cool, so it's just an interface to use your non iTunes content then.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-01-22, 06:43

It can also be enhanced with PVR functionality, an EPG, and so forth, though obviously that doesn't work well on an Apple TV.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-22, 09:06

It would be a cool courtesy if technology titles could written out once before using acronyms so that we needn't have to Google stuff. Stuff like EPG.... whatever that is

chucker

2011-01-22, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It would be a cool courtesy if technology titles could written out once before using acronyms so that we needn't have to Google stuff. Stuff like EPG.... whatever that is

Personal Video Recorder; Electronic Program Guide. I don't use either of those because TV* is legacy to me, but they seem to be commonly used in the US.

*) Oh noes; another initialism.
ironlung

2011-01-22, 14:44

Oops. Sorry about the XMBC XBMC mistake. Not that it is an excuse but I had been in lab for a long time by then. It is kind of embarrassing.