User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-05-11, 22:33

Really bad few weeks for me too. But, uh, I guess I have an excuse?

I agree with Bryson; moving should be worth, like, a million points. So many trips up and down the stairs. Carrying heavy boxes. And furniture.

And through it all I think I actually gained weight, because I craved ice cream like every single day. Sigh.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-05-14, 09:37

My wife and I started using the My Fitness Pal service and their awesome iOS apps to track our nutrition and get a hold of what we eat. It's essentially Fitocracy for food, minus the whole leveling up thing.

But here's what I don't understand. You set daily exercise goals and it has the ability to track both cardio and strength activities, but the only thing you get credit for is cardio. This is in terms of time spent and calories burned.

So here's my question, doesn't strength work have some added cardio benefits as well as cardio burning? Especially crunches and other things that get the heart racing?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-14, 09:51

Strength training is better for burning fat more so then not then cardio. It elevates the heart rate as well as adds muscle. It helps burn calories and speeds up metabolism. Cardio, unless you're doing burst training, just kind of levels off and then when you're done, stops, where as burst training, things like incorporating sprints or doing things like P90X or Insanity, helps your metabolism keep going for awhile after the session.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-14, 16:28

This is why I'm looking to get back into a gym. I can do cardio (could back in my day anyway) but the weight training is something I've shied away from because I didn't want to have to deal with a spotter an such.

I'm going to make my way to the machines though. I hit 198 for the first time in my life today. I'm not proud to say the least. I average 2000 steps a day based on different pedometers. To say I'm currently a couch potato is an understatement.

Have made the decisive choice to change this though. Mostly Paleo in diet, and now adding workouts to my day. Did day one of my 100 pushups today and it hurt. More mentally than physically. I have jello, crappy, weak, prissy arms right now. I'm afraid to get out an run. I once did the 1.5 Mile in 9:13 so I know I won't scare that now.

This isn't posted for pity, just accountability. I'm making a round turn on this body of mine. Must. Get. Active.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-05-14, 19:31

You can do it Turtle!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-11, 22:16

BUMP.

Where my Fitocracizers at?

It's gotten kinda quiet on Fitocracy lately. Only a few of us are still keeping up with regular routines. C'mon guys. Move some mass.

Look... I'll cut you a deal... get back in the game and I'll, umm, I'll update the tiny crap pixelated team logo to something nice like this!

Good? Good.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-07-11, 23:37

Actually, I've been doIng stuff..just not inputting it! Will add some now.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-07-12, 02:36

I've started going to kettlebell classes, but I have no clue how to track that on Fitocracy
It's more time based rather than going for number of reps, and also a lot of fun, but the few kettlebell exercises there are on Fitocracy are all based on reps and I'm usually too knackered to count...
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-07-12, 05:09

Skip rope you fucking girls!

Don't worry I am drinking twice as much to compensate. Balance must be maintained.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-25, 21:47

So I got my wife and I the Fitbit Ultra a few days ago and we have worn them since. It's nice to have this little thing making it so clear how sedentary I am. While I don't like that, I know it's true. I spend 9 hours of my day sitting at a desk. Then I get home and do some things, but mostly sit in my chair. Then I lay down in bed for another 7 hours or so.

So far I'm averaging only ~2900 steps a day. How sad is that? It is however an improvement of the earlier 2000 steps a few posts ago. Anything under 5000 is said to be a sedentary lifestyle. However, I know the enemy now ever so clearly. As does my awesome wife. So today we got up and went for a short walk. She isn't able to walk as long as we once did right now, but that will improve in time.

I know torifile had posted about having a Fitbit earlier in this thread so I figured I check to see who else is using one. What is your "workflow" for it? It seems to get the workout into Fitocracy I have to manually add the activity into Runkeeper or Fitocracy directly. I like RunKepper because it moves over to Fitocracy with ease.

I'm also using an app called Tactio Health to monitor my overall health. This app automatically pulls data from Fitbit and a few others. The great part is my cardio system is awesome. The rest however is not so good. I'm slated for Type 2 diabetes if I don't change my ways according to the app, and well, science at large too. My dad got that, I don't want it. Metabolic Syndrome is also a message this thing is telling me. How morbid does that sound?

Anyway, do you have a Fitbit and how do you tie them all together? I do use the Fitbit app on my iPhone so I can log water intake along with what ever other updates and activities I wish to add to the logs.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-25, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'll update the tiny crap pixelated team logo to something nice like this!
Stupid Fitocracy needs to make up its damn mind. They changed the size again already. New image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I got my wife and I the Fitbit Ultra a few days ago and we have worn them since.
Hmmm.... I had to Google this. So, it's a pedometer with wifi, right? $100 feels like a lot to swallow when you can get a simple "offline" digital version for something like $10. Do you feel like the connectivity and software integration is worth the extra $90?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-25, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmmm.... I had to Google this. So, it's a pedometer with wifi, right? $100 feels like a lot to swallow when you can get a simple "offline" digital version for something like $10. Do you feel like the connectivity and software integration is worth the extra $90?
Absolutely. It makes it brainless and one less thing to have to think about. It just works while I'm doing my thing. It's little notices and indicators are enough to keep us motivated to do more. We tried mechanical pedometers before and they just don't have the same factor. Sure it would have been cheaper to just do everything with a cheap one and log it manually. However case in point; my wife and I both just crossed the 5000 step line tonight because we were so close to the goal that we went out walking again before midnight before it crossed over the time.

There is an altimeter in it too, so that helps also. Anyway, it was well worth the money for us. Integration with the apps and fitting my lifestyle so well makes it 100% worth it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-25, 23:16

A glowing review! Certainly makes it worth considering.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-26, 12:40

I think it really is. I spent some time looking at the fuel band by Nike and the Fitbit. In the end the Fitbit won for me because I don't like bracelets. Plus, the Fitbit is wireless to the base station.

This is the only real draw back for me. I have a laptop I work off of so I have to plug in the base station if my wife doesn't have her's plugged in on her laptop. Needless to say, not very convenient on a laptop. But, if you have a desktop near by that you operate off of this won't be an issue at all for you.

Today it convinced me to take stairs at church even though I didn't have to just so I could register a few flights of stairs. I actually sat in the lower floor section of the seating area, but when the service ended I walked up to the second floor from my seat so I could get some stairs in. I don't have stairs at my house or work so I never use stairs. At least today I have something showing my stairs category!

The bottom line is it's making me and my wife more aware and as the real byproduct, more active. We are both loving these things.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-01-02, 09:15

Alright, Fitocrats! It's a new year, and I think it's the perfect time to set and talk about our fitness goals for the new year.

I had a hell of a shitty year in 2012, health-wise, and it was all packed into the last five months. Let's run down the list:

- Dogs tried to eat me during a run, and I banged up my knee running away. Developed a permanent cyst in my knee that now swells occasionally, preventing me from being able to run. Kept me on the shelf for several weeks.

- After mostly recovering from that, I developed a blood clot in the same leg. Couldn't run for almost two months. Still haven't regained previous ability and form.

- I learned the clot was caused by a genetic disorder that could cause me to have more. Yippee. Only way to reduce my risk of clots is to stop being a fatass. (Isn't it a little ironic that the thing caused by me being fat prevented me from exercising for almost four months?)

So here are my goals for the year, shamefully ripped from my comments on Fitocracy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I have my list split into "actions" and "outcomes". Here are the actions:

- Daily exercise, minimum 20 minutes
- Run 350 miles total
- Run 3 5k races (2 more than last year)
- Break 35 minute 5k (current PR is 39:50)
- At least 50 weight lifting sessions (a ton for me, really)

In my "outcomes" category, I'm shooting for:

- 30-inch waist jeans (I was once around 52; currently 34 or 36)
- Consistently wear size L t-shirts. (At my worst, I could have worn 4X in some shirts. All XL now.)
- Get my BMI below the "obese" category.

Yeah, BMI is a shitty metric, but it's easy to understand. I've been obese or worse since my early teen years. I'm sneaking up on 30 now, and I'm ready for real change.
So, basically I'm trying to lose weight so my fucking blood doesn't kill me. It took a good crack at me already, and it almost got me. That was scary as hell.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2013-01-02, 12:22

Just signed up for this! see you guys and gals on there
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-01-02, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Alright, Fitocrats! It's a new year, and I think it's the perfect time to set and talk about our fitness goals for the new year.

I had a hell of a shitty year in 2012, health-wise, and it was all packed into the last five months. Let's run down the list:

[...]
It sounds like you have made a fair bit of progress already Wyatt, despite some challenges. Congratulations.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-01-02, 13:25

Thanks, I have. Most of the progress was 4-6 years ago, during college. Since, I've kind of tapered off. I started making good progress again last year, but I slowed down before my son was born in July, leading up to my string of misfortune.

I'm feeling good about this year, though. The shittiness of 2012 is behind me.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2013-01-02, 15:12

Go 2013!

I've signed up for a marathon and a 100 miles charity cycle in May. The cycle should be fun, the marathon probably not so much...

I have a couple of goals as well:
1000 miles cycling
<20 minute 5k
And a somewhat strange goal (considering the cycling and running I intend to do) of adding 10lb weight. My BMI is 19.2 at the minute (with <18.5 being underweight) but I have a low body fat percentage so consider myself to be too close to that for comfort. This is going to be the tough one.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-01-02, 15:54

I am losing my motivation to work out more than once a week. Sort of feels pointless to me for some reason (even though I know it's not, logically speaking).

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-01-22, 16:51

Moogs, go get off your ass.

How's everybody else doing? I'm one week into eating like a person's supposed to (whatever that means), and I'm really happy so far. I'm actually less hungry than I was before, despite eating less food. I signed up for MyFitnessPal to track my intake, and I've been exercising almost daily. I've already lost a couple pounds.

I've also set up a bit of a fitness blog, which includes a nifty data page where I can keep track of statistics. I'm generating all the graphs using a single Google Drive spreadsheet, and it's working really nicely. Check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else awesome I could do with it. I'll be working on it quite a bit over the next few days, so please forgive me if it goes wonky for a bit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-01-22, 22:59

I love what you've done with the spread sheet. If only I could get it through Fitbit and Fitocracy. I have been going to the gym most mornings and would love to track my body getting back to a better BMI. Would you mind posting here or PM'ing me with how you worked out the graphs? I'm very interested in this and being able to do something similar on my own blog.

I would love it if I could get a widget for Fitocracy and Fitbit for my WP blog.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-01-23, 05:21

Sure, I can write up how I did it. I'll post it on the blog and ping you on twitter when it goes up.

Last edited by Wyatt : 2013-01-23 at 16:03.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2013-01-23, 05:25

I went to the fridge and got a beer. Can someone alert me to the calories burned?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-01-27, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I am losing my motivation to work out more than once a week. Sort of feels pointless to me for some reason (even though I know it's not, logically speaking).
I know that feeling. I'm trying to get back into a routing after totally slacking for over two months. I did virtually nothing in November and December outside of my normal near-sedentary lifestyle. I got sick twice in that period, the latter with a case of pneumonia that took weeks to shake off, and I just fell off the wagon and never got back on.

I don't know what prompted me to get started again. I think something just clicked in my head and I realized I was being a bum. Of course it helped that my wife has continued her training almost non-stop.

I've been starting off easy the last few weeks, only really doing light exercises a couple times a week. Here's to keeping it up and making the routine natural again!

El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2013-01-27, 21:19

I've been doing plenty but just haven't felt like LOGGING it. I logged a ton of activity and obviously done so for a very long time. I'm running out of reasons to care to post it to Fitocracy. I'm been lifting and doing cardio probably a total of 5-6 times total between the two each week. Example I just finished a 50 mile bike ride today and haven't felt the need to log it.

I'm not sure how to "fix" this.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-01-27, 22:04

There is only the fix for it if you care for Fitocracy to be your log. It's kinda nice for me right now because I just started going to the gym 6 days a week. This means I have motivation to log it. Once I implement something like Wyatt's Google Docs thing I won't need Fitocracy though. I'm more doing it for me and my personal record.

The nice part about Fitocracy is the accountability of others seeing what I do and them knowing when I don't do anything. Makes it much harder for skipping days if I want to be sure I've logged my workout.

murbot
Hoonigan

2013-01-27, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
I've been doing plenty but just haven't felt like LOGGING it. I logged a ton of activity and obviously done so for a very long time. I'm running out of reasons to care to post it to Fitocracy. I'm been lifting and doing cardio probably a total of 5-6 times total between the two each week. Example I just finished a 50 mile bike ride today and haven't felt the need to log it.

I'm in the same boat.

Well, same boat, except instead of 50 mile bike rides, my activities might be masturbating and yelling. That's not all I do, just a random sampling. Sometimes it's masturbating and shoveling snow.

Either way, I can't be bothered to log it.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2013-01-28, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post

The points! Think of THE POINTS!!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-28, 21:16

Bump!

I've entered a month-long challenge on the AppleNova group for March to see who can run the greatest distance. This supposedly includes: running, trail running, interval/sprint running, and treadmill running.

If you haven't joined our group yet, now's as good a time to get in on this challenge! Running doesn't require you to already have a bunch of muscle or endurance. Just move your legs and keep breathing.