Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 8 of 13 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
mget

2007-01-30, 14:02

I have two problems:
-=-=-=-=-=
1st problem:
I have latest bundle installed and working fine for all NTFS partitions except the MP3z partition its mountd for read only..
=-=-=-=-=-
2nd problem:
Every thing was working fine untill today.. i got error while trying to copy some files to mounted NTFS partition "R/W Supported' , i tried everything to fix it but no luck, i hope someone will come with solutions...
here's a pic for the error:
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-30, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mget View Post
I have two problems:
-=-=-=-=-=
1st problem:
I have latest bundle installed and working fine for all NTFS partitions except the MP3z partition its mountd for read only..
Not sure about that. Does this repeatedly happen, and always with the same partition?

Quote:
2nd problem:
Every thing was working fine untill today.. i got error while trying to copy some files to mounted NTFS partition "R/W Supported' , i tried everything to fix it but no luck, i hope someone will come with solutions...
Does this persist after you relaunch Finder? Cf. http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...&postcount=195
mget

2007-01-30, 14:18

Quote:
I have two problems:
-=-=-=-=-=
1st problem:
=-=-=-=-=-
2nd problem:
Edit~ I found the solution for those problems.. both caused by f### XP. i had to boot XP cause those partitions was in autocheck after booting to XP every thing working fine @ my hackintosh..

Last edited by mget : 2007-01-30 at 15:54.
mickles

2007-01-31, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickles View Post
With the new updates (macfuse 0.1.9/NTFS3g 118) I've still got very poor write speeds to an NTFS partition on an external USB drive. I used a 48mb file and moved it around a bit to test, comparing it with an NTFS partition for winxp on the same hdd as my HFS+ partition.

WinXP -> HFS+ 10s
HFS+ -> WinXP 23s
External -> HFS+ 37s
HFS+ -> External 110s
External -> WinXP 37s
WinXP -> External 331s

It takes about a half an hour to transfer a 700mb file to the External USB. Also if it helps, theres a delay when I try to copy something to the External drive. Finder doesn't respond for mabye 30 seconds before it starts copying.
The finder freezes when accessing or writing to the External NTFS drive write this entry into the system log:

Code:
Jan 31 15:47:22 computer kernel[0]: USBF: 598. 9 AppleUSBEHCI[0x20a5000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 83, timing out!
Unlike the slow write speeds, this didn't happen with the earlier releases of NTFS-3G
Talatnat

2007-01-31, 07:09

The latest MacFuse Core 0.1.9 release at GoogleCode appears to handle some of the issues that MacFuse Tools is also trying to solve; but each appears to do it differently.
Since the current NTFS-3g package requires MacFuse Tools to install, would installing MacFuse Core 0.1.9 and MacFuse Tools create potential conflicts? Should I wait for a new MacFuse Tools package? Unfortunately, the links to the old MacFuse Core 0.1.7 seemed to be (now) non-working if I wanted to backtrack...
mget

2007-01-31, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talatnat View Post
The latest MacFuse Core 0.1.9 release at GoogleCode appears to handle some of the issues that MacFuse Tools is also trying to solve; but each appears to do it differently.
Since the current NTFS-3g package requires MacFuse Tools to install, would installing MacFuse Core 0.1.9 and MacFuse Tools create potential conflicts? Should I wait for a new MacFuse Tools package? Unfortunately, the links to the old MacFuse Core 0.1.7 seemed to be (now) non-working if I wanted to backtrack...
i have MacFuse Core 0.1.9 installed with current NTFS-3g bundle and every thing working fine here..
so go for it, good luck
Talatnat

2007-01-31, 08:05

Quote:
i have MacFuse Core 0.1.9 installed with current NTFS-3g bundle and every thing working fine here..
so go for it, good luck
I just did, all's swell for now.

Thanks for the quick answer.
superchink

2007-02-02, 02:09

I think I screwed up. I followed the instructions to mount my Bootcamp drive in OS X using MacFUSE and all. Then I realized the latest version of parallels wouldn't let me boot up using the drive any more. So I tried to unmount it using the umount command and now I can't mount it at all using Disk Utility.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Edit:
Upon reboot, the drive automatically remounted, but I am still stuck with the same problem of Parallels not booting the bootcamp image. If anyone has any input on this I'd be extremely grateful.

Last edited by superchink : 2007-02-02 at 03:39.
backslash

2007-02-02, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchink View Post
I think I screwed up. I followed the instructions to mount my Bootcamp drive in OS X using MacFUSE and all. Then I realized the latest version of parallels wouldn't let me boot up using the drive any more. So I tried to unmount it using the umount command and now I can't mount it at all using Disk Utility.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Edit:
Upon reboot, the drive automatically remounted, but I am still stuck with the same problem of Parallels not booting the bootcamp image. If anyone has any input on this I'd be extremely grateful.
vice versa for me... parallels works, but it unmounted my winxp partition and i can't mount it anymore
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-03, 00:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchink View Post

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.
As mentioned before, I'm pretty sure this issue can be resolved by creating the .ntfs-readonly file on your volume so that Apple's implementation mounts it. It's possible that Apples NTFS is what Boot Camp and Parallels look for. That file will cause MacFUSE and NTFS-3G to bypass your volume, and hopefully allow everything else to work as expected.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
ek122

2007-02-07, 04:36

Hi
Thanks for the great work of ntfs-3g.
I installed MacFuse 0.1.7 and ntfs-3g 118 in my ppc powerbook. I have an 120G USB external hard drive. Most of time I just read files from it. After installed ntfs-3g, the reading speed of the external hard drive is unbelievably slow, around 1.2MB/s ( reported by Active Monitor ). And it seems ntfs-3g took over the apple's read-only ntfs drive, became the default ntfs driver. It automount itself when my ntfs external hard drive connected to the system.
I don't want to uninstall the ntfs-3g but I do want to make the apple's read-only ntfs driver back as default driver for all ntfs file system devices.
So what should I do?
dude

2007-02-07, 07:23

ek122,
From what i have read on the recent posts, you can only do that through the shell command. there is no GUI application currently available for you to. I'm currently in the same situation except i use a 500gig ext drive and I don't always need to have it automount r/w. There are instructions in the previous posts that will help you manually make drives either ro or rw.

I hope one day someone can provide a gui app that will do what you described. Much like the the features in NTFS-3G/Linux.

ek122

2007-02-07, 14:14

I got a temporary solution for my requirement.
I poked around the source code of diskarbitrationd for a while. It seems DA generates a supported file system array from /System/Library/Filesystems. And the order in the array has a great matter of which driver goes if there are more than one driver supporting the same type of file system. Like ntfs and ntfs-3g.
the good thing is the order is changable.

code:
sudo nano /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Contents/Info.plist

go find "FSProbeOrder"(there are 3 of them, change them all) and modify the following integer value to be anything greater than 1000( you may need to check FSProbeOrder in /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/Info.plist, the value in ntfs-3g.fs should be bigger than the one in ntfs.fs in order to make ntfs is getting loaded instead of ntfs-3g ).
Then reboot the system. done.

DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP THE Info.plist BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. And you may want to load ntfs-3g first in the future.
shadwig

2007-02-09, 12:26

First of all, let me say thak you for all of the hard work! I've got Vista on bootcamp and I can read and write to the partition, even though Apple said it couldn't be done...yet. I have searched through this thread and have not found an answer to my one minor problem, at least I don't think so (some of it was over my head). When I initially mounted the drive in terminal, it showed up on the desktop with the name I specified. However, when I reboot the name changes back to the generic disk identifier. Is there anyway to fix this without having to rename the partition each time I reboot? I've got a Vista icon attached to the Volume name Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-09, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwig View Post
Is there anyway to fix this without having to rename the partition each time I reboot? I've got a Vista icon attached to the Volume name Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad.
You can rename the disk from Vista, by right-clicking on the drive and looking at its Properties. Alternatively, when the drive is unmounted, you can use ntfslabel to set the volume name.

The auto-mounting uses the NTFS label as the volume name, so changing that should make it work correctly. Note that Windows does not set a volume name by default, so if you haven't set it manually there, the drive doesn't have one.

shadwig

2007-02-09, 15:48

ShadowOfGED,
Thanks for the advice; I'll give it a try. What would the ntfslabel command look like (in case I have problems setting it in Vista)? I want to change the volume from disk0s3 to Vista. Thanks, again.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-09, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwig View Post
ShadowOfGED,
Thanks for the advice; I'll give it a try. What would the ntfslabel command look like (in case I have problems setting it in Vista)? I want to change the volume from disk0s3 to Vista. Thanks, again.
From the command-line help:
Code:
Usage: ntfslabel [options] device [label] -n, --no-action Do not write to disk -f, --force Use less caution -q, --quiet Less output -v, --verbose More output -V, --version Display version information -h, --help Display this help
So, probably just "sudo ntfslabel /dev/disk0s3 'Vista'". Hope that helps.

shadwig

2007-02-10, 02:01

Cool. I'll give ntfslabel a try to see if I can get it to work, but I did get the volume changed in Vista, and everything is "very nice!" Still want to try ntfslabel, though, just to be able to do it. Appreciate the knowledge.
lagshot

2007-02-11, 19:10

Hi everybody. I've just installed MacFUSE-Core-0.1.9.dmg and I'm trying to follow chuckers instructions here: http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=432791 for compiling the ntfs-3g driver.

I'm attempting to compile ntfs-3g-0.20070207-RC1.tar and I recieve this error message about halfway through the configure script

Code:
checking for pkg-config... no *** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is *** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable *** to the full path to pkg-config. *** Or see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig to get pkg-config. configure: error: ntfs-3g requires FUSE >= 2.6.0. Please see http://fuse.sf.net/ or install __all__ FUSE packages (e.g. fuse, fuse-utils, libfuse, libfuse2, libfuse-dev) or remove already installed __older__ FUSE.
I saw a post a few pages back regarding the absence of pkg-config, so I strolled on over to freedesktop.org but the site is currently down. I checked google's cache and got the filename of the latest release ( pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz ) and did an open index search ( intitle:index.of / ) and got a copy. I compiled it the way explained in the macfuse FAQ on the google sources page and it seemingly went well, no errors, everything returned fine.

Here I go attempting to compile the ntfs-3g driver and i get the same message. I've tried the binary provided on a previous page with the current version of macfuse 0.1.9 but the installer says that macfuse isn't installed (I'm guessing its staticly linked against the older version of macfuse)

Can anybody provide instructions for compiling the ntfs-3g driver under darwin or a binary I'm stuck.
lagshot

2007-02-11, 19:38

I copied the pkg-config binary manually to /usr/bin and the configure went fine but once ntfs-3g was finished compiling I ran into the same problem. The binaries ( and any other needed files? ) aren't getting copied to their appropriate directories.

After I copied ntfs-3g to /usr/bin I ended up doing a

Code:
sudo ./ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s4 /Volumes/Windows -o ping_diskarb,volname="Windows"
and was able to mount my ntfs partition read/write.

This "works" but this is not disireable. I trust the install script better than my dumb solution. Especially for reasons like this:

Code:
$ ntfs-3g /usr/bin/ntfs-3g: error: /usr/bin/.libs/ntfs-3g does not exist This script is just a wrapper for ntfs-3g. See the libtool documentation for more information.
Can somebody set me straight?

Last edited by lagshot : 2007-02-12 at 03:35. Reason: unclear
patpres

2007-02-12, 17:17

I installed FUSE and NTFS-3G on my MacBook Pro 2.13, 2Gig running Bootcamp. Both my 40gig NTFS WinXp partition and an external 300 gig USB 2 drive show up and are writable. However I also have a 600 gig external Maxtor NTFS formatted drive plugged into the FW800 port. It is recognized on the windows side, but shows as "unmounted" in OSX using the Disk Utility. Pressing Mount doesn't help either.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the fw800 NTFS volume?
wesley96

2007-02-12, 19:31

patpres, try this suggestion by ShadowOfGed:
http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...&postcount=191

Oh, yeah, it looks like MacFUSE 0.2.0 just got released. Better try it when I get back home to see if it breaks NTFS-3G or something.
http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/...Core-0.2.0.dmg

lagshot, I found this page at MacFUSE page. Seems somewhat relevant, but does it help anything?
http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/HOWTO
lagshot

2007-02-13, 14:08

Hey thanks for the reply wesley. I've look at this page but unfortunately it's unhelpful to my problem, I'm using the macfuse binary and don't plan on developing for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/HOWTO
If you don't wish to compile everything yourself (and you really shouldn't any more, unless you want to do development of MacFUSE itself),
I guess my situation is more of a general unix related question, why wouldnt a sudo make install "work". I attempted to use locate to find if it had indeed installed any binaries/libraries/etc after I ran the script but the locate database wasn't sync'd up. I ran the locate update script and it hung after hitting some spotlight directory. I know copying the binariy to /usr/bin is a really sloppy way to "install" ntfs-3g. I guess I could dissect the install file and try to do it all manually but that just seems strange.
wesley96

2007-02-13, 20:18

So is the NTFS-3G binary itself compiled correctly?

EDIT: I wonder where ShadowOfGed is...

Last edited by wesley96 : 2007-02-14 at 01:47.
lagshot

2007-02-15, 11:56

Yeah, it compiled fine but neither install scripts are putting the compiled files where they belong.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-15, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley96 View Post
So is the NTFS-3G binary itself compiled correctly?

EDIT: I wonder where ShadowOfGed is...
Juggling life first, school second, and the Intarwebs third.

But after about 30 minutes, I've got a patched version of NTFS-3G 20070207 ready. I still need to dump a lot of work in to updating my Tools, but they're not "broken," and I haven't the time right now.

Here's the new NTFS-3G package:It should work, barring anything broken on NTFS-3G's side. As always, let me know what (if any) problems you have.

Cheers!

wesley96

2007-02-15, 19:11

Thank you and great job, ShadowOfGed! Just our of curiosity - would the NTFS-3G driver work and do automount and stuff without the Tools? I'm tempted to edit the installer so it'll skip the check on Tools and see what happens.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-15, 19:31

Quote:
Thank you and great job, ShadowOfGed! Just our of curiosity - would the NTFS-3G driver work and do automount and stuff without the Tools? I'm tempted to edit the installer so it'll skip the check on Tools and see what happens.
No, it would fail; the scripts included with NTFS-3G depend on the Tools to execute properly. The Tools won't break anything currently; the worst they'll do is slow down a mount, because MacFUSE changed the notifications it sends.

wesley96

2007-02-16, 19:18

Some weird performance issues I've noticed... (wrote over at NTFS-3G forums as well)

I've seen this problem with both MacFUSE 0.1.9 + NTFS-3G 20070118 and
MacFUSE 0.2.1 + NTFS-3G 20070207.

The write speed to the NTFS partition is pretty slow. It seems to be around
700 to 900KB/s after several measurements when copying single file. Note
that it's an external hard disk that had sustained copying speed of 15MB/s
when using HFS+.

Then when I attempt copying of two (or more) files, as in selecting two files
in Finder and dragging them to NTFS volume, the speed drops to around
200KB/s.

Then it stays there. It'll retain that speed even if I copy a single file again.
I've tried unmounting / mounting, but it doesn't make any difference.

I wonder what's going on?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-17, 01:24

Quote:
Some weird performance issues I've noticed... (wrote over at NTFS-3G forums as well)
FUSE filesystems in general are not designed for high-throughput applications; it simplifies the process of writing filesystem drivers, but introduces enormous overhead when moving data between the kernel and userspace.

Many people have mentioned the problems before; part of the issues are NTFS-3G, but part of it is just a limitation of FUSE. This is true of both Linux and OS X, I would imagine.