User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Verizon FiOS
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-29, 17:02

What does everyone think of this. I'm trying to get my dad to switch us to this, since we're already on Verizon. Seems perfect.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-05-29, 18:16

Willing to be 95% of us don't have access to FIOS. That's what I currently think of it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-29, 18:18

I hear it's great. I have Cox, though I would like to hear from some who have FiOS since I'm going to be moving in the near future and will likely get it when I am in the area that has it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-29, 18:19

FYI, everyone with FiOS that makes my cable modem look like an overly-expensive dial up service will make "my list".

I want an alternative to Comcast SO BAD! Come on verizon, an existing fiber network laid 8 + years ago is only a block away.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-29, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
FYI, everyone with FiOS that makes my cable modem look like an overly-expensive dial up service will make "my list".

I want an alternative to Comcast SO BAD! Come on verizon, an existing fiber network laid 8 + years ago is only a block away.
Pay them to put the fiber into your house. I've heard they'll do it.

As for me, I'd be happy if I could get cable. My DSL line dies every 20-or-so minutes. From what I've heard, however, FiOS is great, if you don't mind the price.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-29, 21:32

I typed in my phone number and found that it doesn't have the service. Damn! Although I think someone up the street from us has it, so something's a little kooky.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2006-05-29, 21:49

I have it. After you have tried it you would blow your dad to get it.

I get 15 megabit download service with nothing shared. This costs me $30 a month.

Nick
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-05-29, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman
I have it. After you have tried it you would blow your dad to get it.
That's so unbelievably creepy.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-29, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
I typed in my phone number and found that it doesn't have the service. Damn! Although I think someone up the street from us has it, so something's a little kooky.
I believe that thing online is sometimes inaccurate. Call them to make sure that it is accurate because they might be able to get it to you. That is how it was with DSL for me anyways so you might want to try and call them just to be sure.
rob3rtx

Send a message via AIM to rob3rtx Send a message via Yahoo to rob3rtx  
2006-05-29, 23:49

I'm moving soon to Plano, TX where its available at, im hoping to convince my parents to dump AT&T dsl for FiOS.
Jerman

2006-05-30, 14:15

Crap. I am soon getting an apartment but it looks like this is not available. Would be perfect... I will have to call and check, but I live in such a small town that I doubt it will be very soon. May have to wait until I move back to St. Louis in a couple of years.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-05-30, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3rtx
I'm moving soon to Plano, TX where its available at, im hoping to convince my parents to dump AT&T dsl for FiOS.
Hey, that's where I am.

Oh, and on more than one occasion, I've had sustained download speeds in excess of the max speed of my FiOS connection. And it's cheaper than a cable modem too.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2006-05-31, 07:47

A few of my friends in MoCo have it... and it rocks. The only real problem they have had is that Verizon won't allow you to host any kind of server (ftp, DC++ hub, ect.). Other then that, it's all fine and dandy.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-31, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
A few of my friends in MoCo have it... and it rocks. The only real problem they have had is that Verizon won't allow you to host any kind of server (ftp, DC++ hub, ect.). Other then that, it's all fine and dandy.
How do they block you from hosting? Blocking certain ports? If that is so there are workarounds.
Jerman

2006-05-31, 15:44

That's kind of pointless on the hosting thing. I have been looking at different options for high speed, and it looks like I will have to do cable, 4megabit up, 512k down for 24.99 a month. Sure wish I could get something faster. But I shouldn't complain too much, because last semester when I lived on campus, we had to share an 8 megabit connection among 1,000 students. Now THAT sucked!
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-31, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
How do they block you from hosting? Blocking certain ports? If that is so there are workarounds.
Verizon DSL blocks incoming port 80 requests. Other than that, they don't block ports.

However, it's actually in the ToS.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-31, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
Verizon DSL blocks incoming port 80 requests. Other than that, they don't block ports.

However, it's actually in the ToS.
Cox does the same thing. I've got 15MB/2MB but my port 80 and 25 are blocked. So I use :8080 in mine so it forwards all HTTP requests around it. Then I have my router forward 8080 to my server.

It works very well.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
rollercoaster375

2006-05-31, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Cox does the same thing. I've got 15MB/2MB but my port 80 and 25 are blocked. So I use :8080 in mine so it forwards all HTTP requests around it. Then I have my router forward 8080 to my server.

It works very well.
Same here... Only I use port 81, just because. (I also keep Apache listening to 80, so that local transfers are easier.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-31, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
Same here... Only I use port 81, just because. (I also keep Apache listening to 80, so that local transfers are easier.)
Seems I read somewhere that you shouldn't open ports below 1056, the common service ports. This makes it harder for those who run port scans to attempt to hack your system. Might not be a big deal with a Mac, but it is on a PC.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-31, 20:27

However, port 8080 is fairly common, no?

I wonder if it's feasible to randomize the ports now and then...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-31, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
However, port 8080 is fairly common, no?

I wonder if it's feasible to randomize the ports now and then...
I guess it really is, maybe I just don't know enough about hackers and their tactics.

As for changing up, sure, the only problem is your link changing. If you use DNS masking then when they go to your web name they won't see what port you are actually running on. Then again, those who mean harm can find out anyway, so I guess it's like a dead bolt; keeps the honest people out.

kgarchar

2006-05-31, 23:38

i'm confused

what is it?
rasmits
rams it

2006-05-31, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarchar
i'm confused

what is it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fios