User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

ibook 4G upgrade? help!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ibook 4G upgrade? help!
alikat357

2012-09-13, 21:45

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to up the speed on the ibook 4? It's from 2005. I know I can up the RAM but to how much? And is there a 'best' place to purchase it?
I spoke to Apple, they also said maybe trying to find a 10.5 or 10.6 disk would help?
I really don't know what the best options are and am not in a position to purchase an entirely new laptop.
I appreciate any advice!
Thanks ~ Ali
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-13, 23:26

The only thing to do is pray.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-09-14, 00:16

Get a new computer, that is the best way to upgrade. I wouldn't spend a dime on a computer that old.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-09-14, 01:18

Best place to start would be here where you can identify which model you have. Once you have selected the model you should be able to see how to max out the machine and also get a link to OWC where you can get a gauge on the cost to upgrade. Make sure you click on the "Upgrade this mac" link as this will give you upgrades specific to your machine.

As for not spending a dime on old machines, take no notice. I am typing this from a "new" G5 Quad with 12GB of RAM which cost me $200 and runs sweetly. Still going to max it out to 16GB as I can put the old sticks into another machine anyway.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-09-14, 01:22

A G5 Quad with 12GB of RAM is far removed from an iBook G4.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-09-14, 02:35

I know, but the quote is "I wouldn't spend a dime on a computer that old". It all depends on what your needs are for the machine. The Quad is replacing my TiBook which is ten years old and is still running and the only real issues is that flash is complete poo on it. I just wanting to highlight that macs can have an extended life after the first two respondents were very negative.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-09-14, 11:27

Don't spend any money on upgrades and start saving what you would spend on upgrades to put towards a refurbished 11" MacBook Air.

That computer is nearly 8 years old and it was pretty underpowered even when it was new. Spending money to upgrade it is a waste of money. If it was a high end PowerBook from that era, or a G5 tower, I'd say go for it, but a 7 year old iBook? No way. There's no amount of RAM you can put in that thing to make it fast again, and the worst case scenario is that you spend $50-$100 on RAM today only to have the HD or the logic board fail in 6-12 months, and then you have to buy a new computer anyway and you're out the $100 you spent on RAM.

Suck it up for now, save your money, buy a new one when you can. Financially that's really the best choice you can make here.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-09-14, 12:20

Fast is a matter of perspective. An iBook G4, maxed on RAM and running 10.4, is a pretty solid little computer for word processing, emailing, monkeying with music and photos, etc. The downside is that it maxes out at 10.5 and will soon be crippled by its inability to stay current with iTunes and the iOS ecosystem. There is no access to the App Store, software is getting harder and harder to find, it won't run the current Flash or Silverlight plugins, and it does not support the type of H.264 video that is now common on the interwebs, nor will it run any of the current, modern web browsers.

Best bet: If you want to continue using it, don't go beyond 10.4, which is pretty easy on RAM. 10.5 has some nifty, new gadgetry, but it is more resource hungry and things will slow down.

However, if there is any plan to get a new [-er, -ish] Mac in the near future, take Kraetos' advice and start saving for a decent used/refurbished Air or MacBook.

Remember, you can only beat a dead horse for so long before it starts to stink!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
alikat357

2012-09-14, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Best place to start would be here where you can identify which model you have. Once you have selected the model you should be able to see how to max out the machine and also get a link to OWC where you can get a gauge on the cost to upgrade. Make sure you click on the "Upgrade this mac" link as this will give you upgrades specific to your machine.

As for not spending a dime on old machines, take no notice. I am typing this from a "new" G5 Quad with 12GB of RAM which cost me $200 and runs sweetly. Still going to max it out to 16GB as I can put the old sticks into another machine anyway.
Thanks! I get what everyone is saying, but for now I just want it a little faster. The main problem is with viewing video and such online. I have awesome programs on it that are worth more than the computer but no way to back them up so I want to keep using it for a while. Everything else about it is still excellent. Eventually I'll look into a new/used replacement.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-09-14, 15:45

Not a problem. The above posters are also correct - don't sink a lot of money into this machine. Flash and online video can be a pain on even newer machines.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-09-14, 16:44

Also, there is nothing you can do to "speed it up" when it comes to modern video. Your computer does not have an h.264 decoding chip built in, so it's not gonna get any faster than it currently is. Nor does it support HD video. You're just plain out of luck in that regard.

Sorry.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
alikat357

2012-09-15, 13:20

Okay, good to know. Thank you! I won't bother doing much with it, It generally runs fine and isn't the only computer in the house so it can wait as far as video. I'll just keep an eye out for some of the other model recommendations.