Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 7 of 13 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-03-13, 17:48

Oh, no. I still have my "real work" kit, but the MB was being used for strictly presentation shit lately, and not really ever living up to its potential. There was a time that it served as a fairly capable "oh shit" machine backup, but now it has the easy life. The most stressful part of his day is if Anna will remember which part of the floor she put him when she wakes up. So, since she's getting a new iPad as well, the little guy is going up on the block. :/

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-13, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Apps: they are not authorized on a device-by-device basis. They are authorized by your account. Once they are removed from the device and your Apple ID is erased, that's all you need to do.
Thanks torifile. Good to know.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-13, 19:16

Paul, did you see the illustrator type app demo in the keynote? I can't remember the name of the company.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-13, 19:38

Autodesk (née Alias) SketchBook?
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-13, 21:59

Yeah, that's it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-14, 03:06

I've only connected my iPad a couple times in 2 years to an actual computer. This last iOS update, apparently didn't even have to do that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-14, 13:49

Feature of iOS5... in device OS updating.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2012-03-14, 21:13

It would have been interesting if Apple upgraded the battery in the iPad 2 to the one in the new iPad. They are saying double capacity, would have easily made for 15-20 hours of battery life.

I'm waiting on delivery of 4G model on Friday, first iPad, skipped the others, wanted the retina display after having my iPhone 4 since launch. Just "slightly" excited.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-15, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Faster charging? No mention of it. I am not sure that this is even technologically possible right now. I don't fault Apple for that. Maybe someday.
I've been voraciously reading the reviews that came out last night and I came across one review that addressed this concern:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Siegler
While the new battery clearly isn’t much bigger than the old one, it can hold much more juice (42 watt-hours versus 25-watt-hours). The downside of this is that I’ve found it takes quite a bit longer to charge the new iPad. As in several hours — you’ll probably want to do it overnight.
So, I suppose that using my iPhone charger to charge my iPad will not really work. It takes about twice as long to charge my current iPad with my iPhone charger as it does with the iPad one. I don't really mind since I just leave it plugged in all night (we have a charger tucked into a place we put our keys with just the cable sticking out). But if this one takes even longer, it might not be 100% charged by morning.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-15, 07:47

Finally got an Import notice this morning from UPS. Basically what happened is Apple China created tracking numbers and label scans on the order day (March 9) for a ba-gillion people, and then put them on a plane without any further "left depot" "left country" type tracking data... the next trackable item ends up as the import scan at the US port of entry.

Mine arrived in Kentucky about 10 minutes ago, so presumably lots of people will get this type of update today, and receive their goods tomorrow.

...into the light of a dark black night.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-15, 08:14

My iPad has moved from Nashville, where it's been since March 9, to Memphis. So that's progress. I assume I will see it arriving in Orlando at some point later today.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-15, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan View Post
It would have been interesting if Apple upgraded the battery in the iPad 2 to the one in the new iPad. They are saying double capacity, would have easily made for 15-20 hours of battery life.

[...]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Faster charging? No mention of it. I am not sure that this is even technologically possible right now. I don't fault Apple for that. Maybe someday.
I've been voraciously reading the reviews that came out last night and I came across one review that addressed this concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Siegler
While the new battery clearly isn’t much bigger than the old one, it can hold much more juice (42 watt-hours versus 25-watt-hours). The downside of this is that I’ve found it takes quite a bit longer to charge the new iPad. As in several hours — you’ll probably want to do it overnight.“
So, I suppose that using my iPhone charger to charge my iPad will not really work. It takes about twice as long to charge my current iPad with my iPhone charger as it does with the iPad one. I don't really mind since I just leave it plugged in all night (we have a charger tucked into a place we put our keys with just the cable sticking out). But if this one takes even longer, it might not be 100% charged by morning.
If the above is true, it looks as though Apple has been able to improve the battery's energy density, which would be a breakthrough. The new iPad's battery might still be a bit bigger though (explaining, maybe, the extra weight in the new iPad) so battery size might rule out the new battery for use in the iPad 2.

Now, though, if they were to manufacture a battery in the iPad2 size using the new technology, that would be a nice improvement for the iPad 2. For a number of reasons, I doubt Apple would do that: i.e., for consumer perception reasons, to maximize sales on the new iPad, and to avoid new development costs for the now secondary iPad 2, I doubt that Apple would want to go to the trouble of redesigning the iPad 2 battery and then have it outperform the new iPad in the battery life department.

Also, the likelihood that there will be no immediate improvement in the battery charge time 'on a time per energy unit' basis (and thus an actual deterioration in overall charge time) for the new iPad does not really surprise me. Maybe that will require new charger technology. As Tori posts, though, there is a variation even among existing chargers on that score, so maybe solutions will eventually be found, even if not shipping right now with the new device.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-15, 21:59

Re: different chargers. The iPad comes with, I believe, a 2.1 A charger while the iPhone comes with a 1 A charger.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-15, 22:02

Smaller battery, same life, quick charge. iPad 7-8inch end of 2012?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-15, 22:20

Mine went from Penn to Indiana. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Woot!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-15, 22:36

Yes! Mine is 20 minutes away.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-15, 22:43

Finally got some shipping details, listing an export scan . Not sure why, it would be exported from the destination country??? Still no delivery date listed.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-15, 22:55

Mine has arrived. Wow. The screen is just unbelievable.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-15, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
pics or it didn't happen.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-15, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Grrr...stupid International Date Line. iFixit cheated to get theirs early, too.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 08:17

Mine is in Durham but it says it's still at the facility. It's been there for 2 hours. The FedEx person is usually in my office complex by now.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 08:52

Quote:
Mine is in Durham but it says it's still at the facility. It's been there for 2 hours. The FedEx person is usually in my office complex by now.
Usually I see a good hour or two delay before things get marked "On Truck for Delivery" so that could be the issue. Then again, mine went from the "destination facility" to the "local facility" to "on the truck" in about 30 minutes this morning. So who really knows. As long as it still says ETA Today, you're good.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Usually I see a good hour or two delay before things get marked "On Truck for Delivery" so that could be the issue. Then again, mine went from the "destination facility" to the "local facility" to "on the truck" in about 30 minutes this morning. So who really knows. As long as it still says ETA Today, you're good.
Woo hoo! On the truck for delivery. I was hoping it would be here before 10 because now I've got 6 hours of session in a row so I won't be able to play with it. I will be able to get it started on restoring my iCloud backup between sessions so that's something.

Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 09:01

Been playing with it for a while now. Biggest thing by far I've noticed is the screen makes non-retina apps look absolutely terrible. You become so used to the new resolution so quickly that apps that haven't been updated really stand out.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-16, 09:13

Wow, mine just arrived. Way earlier than I was expecting.

Thank god, no computer necessary.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-16, 12:37

Don't wanna go too far out on a limb or anything, but I think Apple is going to do okay with this new iPad.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-16, 12:51

Nah, clearly nobody wants "the new" iPad. Just got notice that mines out for delivery.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 12:55

WTF. My FedEx person is still not here. this is getting ridiculous.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-16, 13:09

As i'm not ordering a new iPad........................Tee Hee.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-16, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Nah, clearly nobody wants "the new" iPad. Just got notice that mines out for delivery.
Exactly. Not calling it the iPad 3 or iPad HD is going to cost them at least a 4-5 sales.

Those of you getting your iPads today...can you try to post some definitive "iPad 2 vs. new iPad" shots of the screen? Everything I've seen so far has been incredibly "zoomed in" to pixel level. I'd like to see a shot more from 12-15" aways (or closer, if needed) to see the difference between the icons, app names, etc.

I've yet to really see a good comparison and how this Retina Display really brings it.