AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Parallels Upgrade released.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Parallels Upgrade released.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-27, 14:25

Not a big deal for those of us who have then beta testing to RC versions. But for those less adventurous, it's official. Their site is slammed right now too. Long load times even for my fast connection. So here's the write up for the update.
Quote:
Parallels Desktop for Mac

Parallels Desktop for Mac is the leading virtualization solution for the Mac, enabling Mac users to run Windows simultaneously with their Mac OS X on any Intel-powered iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, & Mac Pro Towers.

The latest release of Parallels delivers easy to use migration tools, USB 2.0 support, innovative Coherence technology, and much more. It’s never been easier to run Mac OS and Microsoft Windows side by side.

With Parallels Desktop for Mac, you can:
  • Run your favorite Mac and Windows applications at the same time without rebooting
  • Seamlessly connect to any network in both Mac OS and Windows using a shared network connection
  • Achieve a high level performance for Windows on your Mac by leveraging Intel and AMD virtualization technology - industry leading solutions available on from Parallels Software
  • Copy and paste items between your Mac desktop and your Windows desktop
  • Quickly create multiple virtual machines by using the new Parallels Installation Assistant
  • Create “Active” backups by using Parallels Desktop for Mac in conjunction with Parallels Compressor
  • Achieve optimal virtual machine performance and reduce disk space by 50% or more with the new Parallels Compressor

Innovative new features:
  • Parallels Installation Assistant making installing Parallels Desktop for Mac easier than before
  • Parallels Coherence providing seamless integration and allowing you to maintain a single, integrated environment for running all of your applications
  • Parallels Transporter allowing you to easily migrate your existing system to any Parallels enabled computer.
  • Full USB 2.0 support allowing you to connect all of your favorite devices to your operating system of choice
  • Full support for OS X and Windows Vista
  • Automatic network configuration seamlessly connecting your new virtual system to the Internet without any manual network reconfiguration
I'm having a tough time finding the version number on the site since it is so slow and I haven't upgraded my version yet, so someone else will have to find it and post it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-27, 14:48

Build 3186. Will post a mirror when it's available.

http://www.wittrodt.com/Parallels_De...186_Mac_en.dmg
http://www.stupbi.de/Parallels_Desktop_3186_Mac_en.dmg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qbklus

http://www.chucker.rasdi.net/temp/Pa...186_Mac_en.dmg

That should be enough.

Last edited by chucker : 2007-02-27 at 14:49. Reason: Posts merged
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-27, 15:14

Thanks chucker, that's one heck of a list there.

Help to understand (and those who just haven't asked yet), this is the finished version of the one RC we've been playing with?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-27, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Thanks chucker, that's one heck of a list there.

Help to understand (and those who just haven't asked yet), this is the finished version of the one RC we've been playing with?
Ayup. This is 2.5 final. Features such as USB 2.0 support (including iSight, etc.), Coherence, drag&drop file transfer, and so on which have been tested in numerous Beta and RC builds over the past few months are now considered stable.

Newer betas will be of 3.0, whose main bullet point features is going to be 3D acceleration. (And which will be the first paid upgrade for Mac users.)
dude

2007-02-28, 16:03

Yea, the damn upgrade broke Tools compatibility with Linux and Windows Parallels version. I lost faith in this company and I'm glad I didn't use my own money to buy the app for 3 operating systems. Expect a chargeback from my recent clients expecting better support for the Big 3, not just Mac customers.

This company obviously isn't creating applications for a corporate environment. Weekend warriors and hobbiests, maybe.
specter

2007-03-01, 06:57

Upgrade doesn't contain any new features I assume. No difference from RC3 - just thoroughly tested.
dude

2007-03-01, 08:55

If that's the case, how can they explain the black screen during windows login? I had to boot windows in safe and install the new tools to get back normal gui. They didn't even bother to post a solution in the "official" forum. I wonder what their definition of "thoroughly tested" is.
chucker

2007-03-01, 09:09

If you have a concrete problem, write about it in the Genius Bar, with a more comprehensive description than "black screen".
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-03-01, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
Yea, the damn upgrade broke Tools compatibility with Linux and Windows Parallels version. I lost faith in this company and I'm glad I didn't use my own money to buy the app for 3 operating systems. Expect a chargeback from my recent clients expecting better support for the Big 3, not just Mac customers.

This company obviously isn't creating applications for a corporate environment. Weekend warriors and hobbiests, maybe.
Big words from a dude. I'd say most of us are far from "hobbiests", so why don't you tell us what real problems you're having so we can help you figure it out rather than threaten chargebacks (not that I care; it's not my company) and throw disguised insults our way?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
dude

2007-03-01, 09:44

I think i just posted the solution to the problem rather than reposting the problem and providing the solution. There is no other description of the "black screen" other than than just a black screen after booting windows vm. If anyone can add a more comprehensive description of a black screen during windows guest login, please do.

As i post this, questions on 3186 keep getting posted on the official forum. I really thought I was riding on a good company.

@torifile, no insults here. Just rants in general. Enough people are posting about problems at the official forum.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-03-01, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
I think i just posted the solution to the problem rather than reposting the problem and providing the solution. There is no other description of the "black screen" other than than just a black screen after booting windows vm. If anyone can add a more comprehensive description of a black screen during windows guest login, please do.

As i post this, questions on 3186 keep getting posted on the official forum. I really thought I was riding on a good company.

@torifile, no insults here. Just rants in general. Enough people are posting about problems at the official forum.
See, that's part of the problem. Yes, the symptom you describe is a black screen, but you've provided no information on what you've done to troubleshoot it and figure out what's causing it. Have you tried the typical windows things? Like reinstall? Seriously, there have got to be troubleshooting/diagnostic steps one can take even on Windows.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
dude

2007-03-01, 10:43

torifle, I think you overlooked the solution on post 5 about having to boot windows guest in safemode and install parallels tools. It was a staight upgrade. No config changes with the original guest file on the Mac install. The only thing i can think of is that this latest version broke compatibility with win/lin platform parallels tools. The only way is resolving this problem is to totally strip Parallels Tools from the guest OS. In this case, VirtualBox would be an obvious and cheaper solution.

If I did insult anyone here, I do apologize. My posts aren't meant to disrespect anyone here. I just hate shifting back to techie mode rather than being a consultant.
chucker

2007-03-01, 10:46

It seems silly to demand a refund for a problem you can solve in ten minutes, but whatever floats your boat.

VirtualBox? Enjoy.
irnchriz

2007-03-15, 06:58

removed by irnchriz

Last edited by irnchriz : 2007-03-15 at 07:00. Reason: didnt read whole thread
The Grim

2007-04-30, 04:47

Have anyone try VirtualBox yet? I need to install WinXP to play Romance of the Three kingdoms XI on my MacBook. I look for the cheap solution beside Bootcamp. Do not laugh about this game or why I like this game I just like it.

"Never argue with an idiot, bystanders can't tell you apart", yet "Apologising to idiots only encourages their stupidity"